• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Were israel's actions excessive? (1 Viewer)

Was the israeli response in GAZA and LEBANON Over The Top (OTT)?

• YES

Votes: 53 58.9%
  • NO

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • DONT REALLY CARE WHAT HAPPENS IN THAT REGION

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

consul

HSC
mr EaZy said:
its always the subjective nature of these responses, the one-sidedness, the mentality that the whole world revolves around the state of israel, that disturbs me.
It's not about it being Israel, or a Jewish state, or that it's in the Middle East. The fact is that Israel has long been the target of terrorism and has now chosen to respond in kind.

Hezbollah has continued to strike randomly at Israel even after the goals of their so-called resistance movement were complete, as ruled by the UN. Yet nobody seems to be worried about them going 'too far.'

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
The right-left bracket does not completely categorise those people who support Israel as right wingers. People try and measure everything on that scale when it is very two sided and ambiguous in some aspects.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Hmmm... I think too many people are holding on to the 'anti-antisemitic' sentiment, for the events of WW2.

Israel isn't the victims in this ordeal though. The majority of Israelis are relatively safe in comparison to the ratio of Lebanese people which are endagered and injured by direct and indirect Israeli actions in Northern and Southern Lebanon.

Also, calling 'Hezbollah' terrorists is not necessarily an unbiased approach to the situation. The 'immediate' events spiralled because of the murder of 8 Israeli soldiers and the kidnapping of 2 others who were patrolling the Israeli-Lebanese border. But, saying these actions were unprovoked, is an 'untruth'. The Israeli government has over 10,000 Lebanese, Palestinian and Syrian Civilians (Including Elderly, Women and Children) Prisoners.

The failure of the Israelis to 'negotiate' the release of these prisoners 'provoked' the attack. The Israelis have no right over these prisoners and they should be released. Therefore, Hezbollah's attempt to 'better' their position on the negotiation of a prisoner exchange back-fired on them. They were fighting for the freedom of 'Lebanese, Palestian and Syrian' nationals, so if that doesn't make you a 'Freedom Fighter', then I don't know what does.

Either way, I condemn the actions of both sides. In that they're both targetting innocent civilians (I disagree with the Israeli allegations that they're only attacking Hezbollah targets, an insermountable heap of evidence has been gathered which supports otherwise).

IMMEDIATE ACTIONS WHICH SHOULD BE TAKEN ARE:
- Cease Fire
- Negotiate A Full Prisoner Exchange
- Full Disarmament of Hezbollah
- Negotiate A Foreign Force To Patrol The Border
- Full Disarmament of Hezbollah
- Foreign Support For the Reconstruction of Lebanon. (Including Tourism Industry Which Accounts for 22% of the countries GDP).
- Did I mention... "Full Disarmament of Hezbollah"

[In my opinion this is the only way in which Israel can have security and all the issues that caused this war are solved. Israel and Lebanon will comply if they are serious about what their intentions were on going into this conflict.]

[Ofcourse this is only the solution for the 'supposed' threat from the Lebanese side of the border and the reason for the attack. (I don't like calling the attack unprovoked and I believe that both sides are wrong). Other Issues will remain for Israel as the formation of the country will probably always be questioned because It was obviously... Unjust]

Last edited:
israel and usa are just laughing at the UN's proposal. They believe further attacks are needed, (which are only making hizbolah grow). There will be a full scale israel invasion, and lebanese army will stand by hezbolah to defend the territory.
Then USA will blame iran for this entire thing and invade them.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
codereder said:
israel and usa are just laughing at the UN's proposal. They believe further attacks are needed, (which are only making hizbolah grow). There will be a full scale israel invasion, and lebanese army will stand by hezbolah to defend the territory.
Then USA will blame iran for this entire thing and invade them.
hey, i'm surprised you didnt notice it from the days of the iraq invasion.... er, fight against terror.

either it is alot of coincidences or i am surrounded by fortune tellers. although i would assume Iran to be too strong at the moment and Syria to be a slightly less dangerous operation.

FOX news is just incredible. Today these people are saying, USA doesnt need to do a ground invasion of Iran, but they have to do some air strikes. USA doesnt believe in diplomacy, its so ironic, they claim to be bringing democracy to the world, yet they dont want to talk, they want to fight. The cause of all this is George W Bush, since he has become president look how much the world has changed, hes brought in an age of terror. The way he laughs as he speaks about serious issues, he doesnt seem intellegent at all, his not a president, his a cocky son of a president.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
codereder said:
FOX news is just incredible. Today these people are saying, USA doesnt need to do a ground invasion of Iran, but they have to do some air strikes. USA doesnt believe in diplomacy, its so ironic, they claim to be bringing democracy to the world, yet they dont want to talk, they want to fight. The cause of all this is George W Bush, since he has become president look how much the world has changed, hes brought in an age of terror. The way he laughs as he speaks about serious issues, he doesnt seem intellegent at all, his not a president, his a cocky son of a president.
He is a weak president

Very easily influenced by his 'advisors'

turtleface

HSC
Actually maybe yes (to an extent), Bush is responsible for so many vetos of security council resolutions against Israel.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
i saw the doco on fox news where they showed how rumsfield went on to talk about the extreme complexity of the tunnels in afghanistan

he was going on about them having generators, also having 8 stories, and tunnels that reach one end of the country to another..... if i recall correctly

the daily telegraph had a diagram on that showing how the al qaeda were using a waterfall under the mountain to power turbines to produce power (cant remeber it exactly, i think that was it)

but yeah... i must confess, that at the time, i did believe a lot of what was said :(

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Lol, I guess I wasn't the only one to notice the ammount of bias in Fox News... It's ridiculous. Here is how I rank T.V stations in order of bias towards either Israel or Hezbollah.

Israel -- Leaning Towards Israel -- Neutral -- Towards Hezbollah -- Hezbollah
Fox News--------- Sky News---------CNBC----BBC-------Al Jazeera----Hezbollah TV

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
turtleface said:
Actually maybe yes (to an extent), Bush is responsible for so many vetos of security council resolutions against Israel.
Umm that is just a continuation of previous US policy. The veto power is fucked and it really isn't the United States fault, look at the Suez canal crisis, Rhodesia anything concerning China (Tibet etc).

Riewe

HSC
But at least Fox News is the most entertaining, which is more than i can say about BBC or CNN.

Hence why i would prefer to spend my precious time spent enjoying myself than being bored to death, even though it is biased, but aye, that's freedom of speech for you

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
sam04u said:
Israel -- Leaning Towards Israel -- Neutral -- Towards Hezbollah -- Hezbollah
Fox News--------- Sky News---------CNBC----BBC-------Al Jazeera----Hezbollah TV
Where does that put CNN & Reuters?

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
Riewe said:
But at least Fox News is the most entertaining, which is more than i can say about BBC or CNN.

Hence why i would prefer to spend my precious time spent enjoying myself than being bored to death, even though it is biased, but aye, that's freedom of speech for you
Yeah Fox is quite entertaining, great comedy channel.

ZabZu

HSC
AntiHyper said:
Where does that put CNN & Reuters?
Personally i reckon CNN is neutral. Even though it concentrates mostly on the Lebanese side (as we would expect from all objective news providers) it always has plenty of time explaining what Israelis are going through.

I watched SBS news last night. 15mins on the Lebanese - Australians leaving, Israel's ground/air campaigns in the country, etc. Only 1min on the Israeli perspective.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
ZabZu said:
Personally i reckon CNN is neutral. Even though it concentrates mostly on the Lebanese side (as we would expect from all objective news providers) it always has plenty of time explaining what Israelis are going through.

I watched SBS news last night. 15mins on the Lebanese - Australians leaving, Israel's ground/air campaigns in the country, etc. Only 1min on the Israeli perspective.
But most of whats happening is in Lebanon

The casualties are almost one sided, and Lebanon is getting hit harder than Israel.

Theres a difference between neutral and impartial

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Jordan.J said:
But most of whats happening is in Lebanon

The casualties are almost one sided, and Lebanon is getting hit harder than Israel.

Theres a difference between neutral and impartial
yeah ur right. there was zilch on palestine.

anyway.. hezbollah is such a thread to Israel - i mean their rockets can just make it over the border and hit some outlying residential houses in northern israel - they are such threat.

I mean their artillery are bombarding israel - an invasion seems imminent. perhaps an hezbollah airstrike may start it - :rofl:

i mean srs fellas hezbollah are throwing sticks and stones whilst israel is preparing the nuke. its like an ant fighting an elephant, the elephant just keeps missing cos the ant manages find those cracks on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)