• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Were israel's actions excessive? (1 Viewer)

Was the israeli response in GAZA and LEBANON Over The Top (OTT)?

• YES

Votes: 53 58.9%
  • NO

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • DONT REALLY CARE WHAT HAPPENS IN THAT REGION

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZabZu

HSC
HotShot said:
but hezbollah have no ties to Lebanon, they are based in SYria.
Hezbollah is based in Lebanon, they receive money, support, weapons, etc from Syria.

It was established to defend Lebanon.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
They have 18 seats and 2 ministers in the Lebanese parliament.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ZabZu said:
Hezbollah is based in Lebanon, they receive money, support, weapons, etc from Syria.

It was established to defend Lebanon.
in that case they are doing their job LOL. but yes Israel perspective t he yneed to hit Syria not Lebanon.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
but hezbollah have no ties to Lebanon, they are based in SYria.
They are based in lebanon as a proxy military for both Syria and Iran. Today the IDF blew up an Iranian long-range rocket which was on the news (or at least they claimed it was, will wait till I hear more before being convinced). Neither Israel nor Syria/Iran want an upfront confrontation, it would hurt them all to no great end (Israel will always have the nuclear/biological trump card).

So Syria and Iran supply these millitants based in lebanon to attack Israel while they will be left unscarred. Israel has then moved to take them out and in the process lebanon (essentially a fairly neutral country) has been caught up in it.

P.S. all this talk about jews, who knows the most jews, who's kissed the most jews - just stop it. It's lame.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
I found Bush's comments on this at the G8 summit as perplexing as ever. He skirted around the issue so much that he may as well have come out and said "No, nothing Israel does is ever excessive, even if it's excessive". Anyone can see that Israel went too far.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
c_james said:
I found Bush's comments on this at the G8 summit as perplexing as ever. He skirted around the issue so much that he may as well have come out and said "No, nothing Israel does is ever excessive, even if it's excessive". Anyone can see that Israel went too far.
Have you heard the stuff he was saying off camera during it that they caught on microphone?

<3 daily show.

ZabZu

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Have you heard the stuff he was saying off camera during it that they caught on microphone?

<3 daily show.
I saw that. Did u watch the episode the day before where Bush had a conference with the German Chancellor. He kept on going about eating a pig for dinner and when a reporter asked him a question on Hezbollah and Syria, Bush replied "I thought you were going to ask me something about the pig"

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
AntiHyper said:
I didn't see any explosions in that YouTube video :eek:
neither did i

heard some noises- dont know what they were

why would you go out during an air raid anyway?

the streets seemed intact to me

i guess the same thing would be happening on the lebanese side

but the israelis bombed their civil defence building so now the lebs have no way of knowing whats coming

and lastly, when iraq was being invaded - the air raids over kuwait were ringing every few hours- but not a single scud with chemicals ever landed in the city itself- im not saying that air raids are tools of propaganda (although i cant ruled that out because they bombed the lebanese air sirens) for the media-

they are at times misleading and cause more chaos than to represent a serious tool to warn of enemy attack

---

Edit (Generator): Visit this thread if you'd like to continue with the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr EaZy

HSC
ZabZu said:
I saw that. Did u watch the episode the day before where Bush had a conference with the German Chancellor. He kept on going about eating a pig for dinner and when a reporter asked him a question on Hezbollah and Syria, Bush replied "I thought you were going to ask me something about the pig"
i saw the part of that g8 summit where george bush gave angela merkel (german chanellor) a sqeeze on the her shoulders- it was weird - she didnt know what stunned her until she looked up.... geroge bush probably thinks he's a stud

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
ZabZu said:
how can someone stuffing his mind with the thought of eating pig achieve much in this scenario when both sides have some opposition to pig products?

meh, just let bush bring in his troops from iraq and let them monitor the rebuilding of beirut airport. at least it will get people out of there quicker, but as i heard on the news, the foreigners are currently he main thing stopping Israel from pushing the attack to its strongest.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ZabZu said:
lol yea, what a jerk

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Since this post I have been bombarded with threats from several Pro-Israeli members threatening me and calling me a self-hating Jew and anti-Semitic for my views. To them all I can say is Zionism is not part of my outlook and I will never feel at home in Israel just because some of my ancestors originated there thousands of years ago (but quite possibly converted).

consul

HSC
Not sure if this is still on topic. But I believe that 'too far' does not apply in this circumstance. Israel is doing what is necessary to ensure the safety of its people, now and into the future, and if that means damage beyond overt Hezbollah targets then so be it.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
consul said:
Not sure if this is still on topic. But I believe that 'too far' does not apply in this circumstance. Israel is doing what is necessary to ensure the safety of its people, now and into the future, and if that means damage beyond overt Hezbollah targets then so be it.
wtf? so basically levelling the southern half of lebanon (not that lebanon is that big anyway) is considered "protecting israel's people"? go smell the fresh air sunshine.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
consul said:
You sound like George Bush at the G8 summit. Please don't sound like George Bush at the G8 summit.

The end never justifies the means. Anyone who says differently is a hypocrite, because if the means required them to take the fall, they'd oppose them.

Last edited:

mr EaZy

HSC
ihavenothing said:
Since this post I have been bombarded with threats from several Pro-Israeli members threatening me and calling me a self-hating Jew and anti-Semitic for my views. To them all I can say is Zionism is not part of my outlook and I will never feel at home in Israel just because some of my ancestors originated there thousands of years ago (but quite possibly converted).
there are people who support israel absolutely, others turn to conscience, others use a bit of both *shrugs*

i know u dont support israel, but to those who do:

you can support israel and still stand up for human rights- theres nothing wrong with that- until you get statements like this:

consul said:
Not sure if this is still on topic. But I believe that 'too far' does not apply in this circumstance.
implying that there is no such thing as excessive, that the laws of judaism: "an eye for an eye" are no longer relevant

that is just sick

consul said:
Israel is doing what is necessary to ensure the safety of its people, now and into the future, and if that means damage beyond overt Hezbollah targets then so be it.
its always the subjective nature of these responses, the one-sidedness, the mentality that the whole world revolves around the state of israel, that disturbs me.

the old ghetto mentality that existed in europe amongst jews has followed these people here... this conflict opened my eyes to this, my respect for jews has slumped

turtleface

HSC
mr EaZy said:
i saw the part of that g8 summit where george bush gave angela merkel (german chanellor) a sqeeze on the her shoulders- it was weird - she didnt know what stunned her until she looked up.... geroge bush probably thinks he's a stud
lol

its always the subjective nature of these responses, the one-sidedness, the mentality that the whole world revolves around the state of israel, that disturbs me.

the old ghetto mentality that existed in europe amongst jews has followed these people here... this conflict opened my eyes to this, my respect for jews has slumped
Yes I think Israel has lost a lot of support with its aggressive actions, whether they are right or wrong.

On Lateline the other day I remember this Jew was saying how in some of those disputed territory parts the palestinians were in the majority but treated like second class citizens, had curfews imposed etc.. like the South African apartheid regimes, except it was Israeli's vs. Palestinians. The Jewish council in Australia disagreed with this view.

ZabZu

HSC
turtleface said:
On Lateline the other day I remember this Jew was saying how in some of those disputed territory parts the palestinians were in the majority but treated like second class citizens, had curfews imposed etc.. like the South African apartheid regimes, except it was Israeli's vs. Palestinians. The Jewish council in Australia disagreed with this view.
I saw a bit of that, i was flicking between Lateline and 24. I heard the left-wing guy was saying that there are roads in the West Bank that are exclusive to Jews but the pro-Israel guy arguging against him said the roads are for Israelis and that Arab-Israelis are free to use them.

I read about the Arab-Israeli family in Nazareth whose home was hit by the Hezbollah rocket a few days ago where the 2 children were killed. The father of the kids says that Israel built a military base near the city (where Arabs are the majority), so it would discourage Islamic militants trying to fire on the base. He also said that they have been abandoned and disowned by both sides.

However, I believe discrimination against Jews in Arab countries is far more serious. On Hezbollah's tv station (Al-Manar) they have plenty of anti-Jewish propaganda and similar information is transmitted across the Arab world. They mock the holocaust, say the blood of a non-Jewish child is needed to make Matzah for passover, etc. Also, I read in the SMH this morning that Israeli journalists aren't/weren't allowed to go into Lebanon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)