• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Whats going on with MUSC and legal action i keep hearing about? (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
What's with macq and stalking, seriously, can someone tell me? Did people just suddenly do it?
Its a pre-req to graduation.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=- said:
6.50 is heaps cheap....
wen u work in the ct..lunch it likes 10-15...
Your comparing apples with oranges, we are students at University not workers in the CT.

AsyLum said:
Its a pre-req to graduation.
Then I better start stalking......

Phanatic

HSC
Hey, if anyone has any specific questions about MUSC, SAM, Academic Senate or University Council I may be able to answer them.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
is it worth voting if we don't know who any of them are? i don't think i'll vote

Phanatic

HSC
iambored said:
is it worth voting if we don't know who any of them are? i don't think i'll vote
Absolutely 100% yes.

I may be a little biased, because I'm running for Senate. I'll try to keep it objective though.

All today I've been trying to raise awareness of these elections on campus. The reaction of 90% of students when they get the ballots is to throw them out straight away. There's this terrible attitude that elections don't affect students, that it's just a bunch of wankers politicking and bitching amongst themselves.

I think this is because no-one ever takes the time to let students know what University Council and Academic Senate do. To the majority of students (including myself last year), the elections are just useless junk mail.

Well some of the things that immediately affect students are:

University Council:
- Is the governing body of the University
- Looks after funding allocations - which subjects get money
- Money determines teaching resources and overcrowding in lectures and tutes
- Decides on a 25% HECS increase for 2007
- Sets the number of full fee paying places vs. Government supported

Academic Senate:
- Determines Bachelor Degree rules (pre-requisites, GPA requirements)
- Sets the timetables
- Judges assessment appeals (poor grading/disadvantages)
- Oversees waivers

For example, if there was overcrowding in a tute, you could make a complaint to your Uni Council rep and they should bring it up at a Council meeting, or arrange for you to speak there yourself.

Another instance, if you get screwed over by a lecturer with the marking of assessments, or they don't follow procedures (eg. changing the due date without enough notice), you would take it up with your Academic Senator, who would then arrange for it to be brought up at Senate. The Senate might then Review your lecturer and your marks.

It's really important that as many people actually take part in this election as possible. I've been chalking and talking at the campus today trying to get people interested. It's tough. What I want is for people to talk about it on campus with their friends. Ask your friends who they're voting for. Get a discussion going.

While I'd love it if everyone voted for me, I'd just be happy if everyone made an informed decision and voted.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Phanatic said:
I may be a little biased, because I'm running for Senate. I'll try to keep it objective though.

While I'd love it if everyone voted for me, I'd just be happy if everyone made an informed decision and voted.
And who exactly are you?

X

xeuyrawp

bscienceboi said:
And who exactly are you?
Yeh I wanna know that, too. He was going on about what he stands for, and us noobs dunno who he is:(

Phanatic

HSC
Sorry. I'm Phil Betts.

I kind of have this aversion to telling people that I'm a candidate, because then people tend to think I'm just crapping on saying "voting's important", 'cause I want their vote.

Well yes, I do want your vote, but I think it's more important that you choose me because you believe I would be the best candidate, and you base that choice on reviewing the available information, rather than me going "Hi, vote for me because I'm the best". If I tell you that I'm a candidate, does it make you question everything I say about the importance of these elections? That's what I want to avoid.

That being said, if you do have any questions about me, my candidacy statement or the other candidates, ask away. If you ask 'why should I believe you and not the other guy", I can answer that too.

Cheers,
Phil

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
phil betts... i'm going to go and pull my voting papers from the bin.. brb :p

edit: found you! if i voted for anyone it was going to be you and john bransgrove. your blurbs sounded the most relevant and thought out.

the reason why i don't want to vote is because i don't actually know who any of these people are. ok, now i know who you are but pretend it was an hour ago. i would be arguing that i can't make an informed decision because i don't truly know whether the people are serious about what they say they want to do or whether they don't care. i don't like the thought that my vote got someone into power that will then stuff things up. i prefer to remain neutral (and do nothing). since you seem genuine though, we'll see, i'll think about it for a few days...

why do some people have no statements? what chance do they have?

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
Sorry. I'm Phil Betts.

I kind of have this aversion to telling people that I'm a candidate, because then people tend to think I'm just crapping on saying "voting's important", 'cause I want their vote.

Well yes, I do want your vote, but I think it's more important that you choose me because you believe I would be the best candidate, and you base that choice on reviewing the available information, rather than me going "Hi, vote for me because I'm the best". If I tell you that I'm a candidate, does it make you question everything I say about the importance of these elections? That's what I want to avoid.

That being said, if you do have any questions about me, my candidacy statement or the other candidates, ask away. If you ask 'why should I believe you and not the other guy", I can answer that too.

Cheers,
Phil
I actually voted for you. Serious. I honestly voted for the hotest person, and you're it. Before I post the letter, tell me, how much do you want my vote
;)

Phanatic

HSC
That would be Victor Ma.

I find it difficult to answer that question objectively, because I've been involved with 180 Degrees for the last 6 months opposing everything Victor does.

There's a new page we've added to the site that goes over these Academic Senate and University Council elections. It goes through Victor and Co (Fiona Chan, Stanford Lu and everyone there with "No statement provided"), examining all of their proposals. The original version we wrote was a whole lot more bitchy, antagonising and made us look like a bunch of pathetic whingers, so we toned down the new version and tried to make it entirely fact based, with claims we could back up with documentation.

If you've got a spare moment, check it out at http://www.oneeightydegrees.org/180/councilsenateelections.htm - there's a graphic there I did that I'm particularly proud of - it shows a connected mind map of which candidates nominated who. The results are pretty disgusting.

If you've got any more questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Cheers,
Phil

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
victor has a statement, a sensationalised one at that, i don't like the underlining and bolding, i feel it takes away sincerity (damn year 12 english)

i'm reading the site right now, you're answering my questions :D

edit -see that's the thing, he says the thing about sexism and homophobia but he might do the exact opposite. that's why i don't like to vote in elections. how do i know your clan will do what you say you want to? obviously i am getting a one ..

... hahahaha allan, i thought i recognised him from somewhere.. ahahaha.. ok..

..sided view here. i'm taking your word for it here. i mean your whole site is dedicated to him, it might all be bs. others could probably pull apart your statement

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Three quick questions.

1. Are the people with "No Statement Provided" there to take up seating as they are guaranteed they wont be voted for and restrict opposing candidates from entering?

2. You only have 5 posts on this forum so you must of joined recently, and seeing that these MUSC conversations only recently started, how did you find out?

3. How does an average bloke like me get nominated for candidacy... :p Does it affect your resume?

That was four questions...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
bscienceboi said:
2. You only have 5 posts on this forum so you must of joined recently, and seeing that these MUSC conversations only recently started, how did you find out?
good spotting, i was getting him confused with Phanatical

eidt - i like the site, i liked the blurbs before i knew who you were, i like that you are active, i'll be back to check this tomorrow, see if you can talk me into voting. i've just been telling you exactly how i feel about voting (not picking on you) to see if i can get any response as to why i shouldn't feel that way. i need my views to be challenged.

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
I actually voted for you. Serious. I honestly voted for the hottest person, and you're it.
Well then if he's the hottest guy lots of people would of voted for him too. Its a common psychological mistake. People assume that people with a single good trait also have many other good characterisitcs.

Phanatic

HSC
iambored said:
the reason why i don't want to vote is because i don't actually know who any of these people are. ok, now i know who you are but pretend it was an hour ago. i would be arguing that i can't make an informed decision because i don't truly know whether the people are serious about what they say they want to do or whether they don't care.
I agree to a certain extent, but then both myself and Tim Hendry gave you our email addresses, and both John and I have recommended people go to the 180 Degrees website, so we did invite you to look into it further. Then again, the impetus is on me to approach you guys, not for you to approach me, so that's fair enough.
iambored said:
why do some people have no statements? what chance do they have?
Check out the link I just posted. Basically all those guys nominated each other - I suspect it was a political tactic to bury us under a lot of names, but it backfired. We stand out more because we actually have statements.

PwarYuex said:
Before I post the letter, tell me, how much do you want my vote
Male eh? You probably wanna ask John that question! Might get a good response. :)

Phanatic

HSC
bscienceboi said:
Three quick questions.

1. Are the people with "No Statement Provided" there to take up seating as they are guaranteed they wont be voted for and restrict opposing candidates from entering?

3. How does an average bloke like me get nominated for candidacy... :p Does it affect your resume?

That was four questions...
1. I believe so. Not so much to restrict candidates from entering, but to drown them out in a sea of names and pictures. As I've said, I think it backfired, so I'm happy.

2. I saw the stats from the 180 Degrees website. It tells you which links people follow to view pages off the server. The only external link was from the Bored of Studies forum, where someone linked to the site earlier in this thread. I followed it, found you guys, and saw that no-one knew much about these elections. I figured I may as well speak up.

3. i) Nominations were about a month ago. All it takes is 2 students - one to nominate you, one to second it. Apparantly nomination papers were sent out to people, though I never got one. A friend told me it was on, so I got myself nominated.
ii) I guess. Then again, I don't think employees would be all that impressed. Still, I think a lot of people would run for that reason, and it pisses me off.

Cheers,
Phil

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
Male eh? You probably wanna ask John that question! Might get a good response. :)
In all honesty, I've sent my vote already, and I read the website and I like what you say. :) Who's Joh-- OMG ! He was the random hottie in the Uni Council. I voted 1 him, too, cos of the site:D

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Phanatic said:
I guess. Then again, I don't think employees would be all that impressed. Still, I think a lot of people would run for that reason, and it pisses me off.

Phil
I agree, I mean if anyone can be nominated to take up a spot in the election then it kind of makes you worried that we are being represented by a bunch of people who might have no clue in what they are doing.

It seems to me though that John.B, Victor.M, the candidates from 180 and yourself have some background in politics and or law. There is quite a bit of extensive information about breaches and violations of code so-and-so on your website.

X

xeuyrawp

bscienceboi said:
kind of makes you worried that we are being represented by a bunch of people who might have no clue in what they are doing.
Or, more importantly, neither care nor are passionate about it (Which Phil seems to be).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)