• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Private Schools (1 Viewer)

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
swimming pools? tennis courts??? i wish my school had that!!!!!
If you look at all the 'elitist' schools, you will find the majority of them are ANGLICAN schools. Barker College, Trinity Grammar and the list goes on and on.

Well, being the CHURCH OF "ENGLAND" you have to allow for some sort of 'social class' system, dont you ;-).

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
miss_gtr said:
I Go to La Salle Academy in Lithgow....and none of us thinks Lithgow High is a private school!!!
I never knew La Salle Academy (I have never heard of the joint) was even a school!!!!

God help anyone from there if I ever become a Human Resorce Manager and have to interview them. At least PUBLIC SCHOOLS have a well defined standard across the board.

Public schools do so much better than private schools.

There was actually a study done that compared students who attended elite private schools against those who attended government schools. The study looked at how these students did in a tertiary (university) setting. The results found that students who came from government schools did better than their elite private school counterparts in terms of quality of work. They also found that more university drop outs (per-capita) are those that came from elite private schools.

Elite private schools don't allow for individuality and self discipline. Its all imposed, forced. The students from these schools find it very hard to adapt to a university environment which expects you to work ON YOUR OWN without lecturers there behind you demanding that you hand in assignments etc.

At university, you are given an assignment and its up to you whether you do the thing or not. The university won't chase you up if you don't hand it in, because they have better things to worry about. And I have seen these students get a shock when their academic transcript from the university has a big fat FAIL written on it for that subject. They handed the assignment in a few days late and had marks taken off and by the end of the semester didn't have enough marks to get to 50%.

In a public school, if you don't put the work in the school will just N-Award you. They won't hound you, they will just N-award you. At a public school you soon learn to stay on top of things and are very much ready for university at the end of your HSC.

I don't want to sound judgemental, but the studies show this. Going to a private school only assures academic success at the HIGH SCHOOL level, but thats not duplicated when they leave school.

I bet the people at LITHGOW HIGH SCHOOL will end up doing far better than those that go to that other UNKNOWN school.

babywhitto

I have been to the same private school the tneitre time. so thats from kindy to yr12...and my brothers went to the private school next door. so thats 4 kids threough private school. yeah thats not fun! my parents will be payin out the ass for the next 10yrs...but it was their choice to do it. we are not rich, we're not poor...and the school i go to is so tight-ass...but then again all private schools are.
i hate it how some private school ppl are all snobby and looking down on public school ppl...its stupid and worthless.
money is a factor, a major factor, but its really up to the parents weather they want to make the sacrifice of sending ur kids to private school and scrapin by on life. many ppl do it.

sur ei fyou go to private u get some better teachers and a tennis court and swimming pool and more resources and all that...but its up to the kid to use it.

oh meh...im just trying to go on so i dont have to do food tech homework haha. but seriously...i wouldnt have cared if i went to a public school, i would have been doing the same as i am now.

babywhitto

jebbie said:
MLC is Newingtons sister school
But PLC (Sydney)(My school) goes to alot of their functions cos they are close (close like distance).
Like in year 6 we had to write letters in french to them D:
Anyways our brother school its SCOTS or some random school. Not too sure.
what are all the brother sister schools.

Kings and Tara are brother/sister schools...thats really all i know...haha.

Tayla

HSC
Ha...wow! How about we make just a few more generalisations...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
babywhitto said:
what are all the brother sister schools.

Kings and Tara are brother/sister schools...thats really all i know...haha.
yeah they keep us from turning gay.

Last edited:

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
Public schools: Teach your children well.

Up the public schools!!

Haha, low quality education in a high quality social environment

HSC
I go to Kambala (private anglican girls school) and it sucks. I went to a public school from year 8-10 and in my opinion, public schools are alot better than private schools. They are a waste of money. Personally I could find better things to spent $20,000 a year on. But I do have to say that I have learnt more at Kambala than I did at the public school I went to. Mainly due to the strictness and not being able to talk in class and having to turn up to class unless you wanted to be kicked out basically. But yeah, private schools are no where near as fun and are really bitchy and snobby.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
colboltic_dream said:
I go to Kambala (private anglican girls school) and it sucks. I went to a public school from year 8-10 and in my opinion, public schools are alot better than private schools. They are a waste of money. Personally I could find better things to spent $20,000 a year on. But I do have to say that I have learnt more at Kambala than I did at the public school I went to. Mainly due to the strictness and not being able to talk in class and having to turn up to class unless you wanted to be kicked out basically. But yeah, private schools are no where near as fun and are really bitchy and snobby.
haha wow yeh thats probally true (your last sentence)

My school used to be strict (like the sterotypical private school) But the last 5 years it has really changed. There is hardly any discpline systems anymore. People listen to their ipods in class. If a phone rings in class/assempbly nobody cares....(obviously the student dosent pick up and start talking! that would be a problem)

The school only says it will deal with truancy, but in reality if you want to take the day off (In senior years at least) you just dont go.....they dont question you about it at all.....

And at the same time we still learn stuff......

volition

arr.
HSC
Isn't it funny how some schools try to look like venerable institutions...

a8o

HSC
Deus said:
The school only says it will deal with truancy, but in reality if you want to take the day off (In senior years at least) you just dont go.....they dont question you about it at all.......
Reminds me of the rule prohibiting leaving school if we have last 2 periods free. In reality, leaving before lunch is fine. Coming late is a different matter on the other hand as our school has all sorts of pre-school assemblies, different things on different days. I attend an Eastern Suburbs private school.

HSC year is a nice self-contained excuse for everything.

rachael230

this thread is a really interesting one. i didnt really think that people found the 'type' of school they went to so important. of course they're different, and they each have advantages and disadvantages. i know people who hated private school and did shockingly in that environment, and then were great students when they went to a public school, and vice versa.
i think its silly to judge people on where theyre parents decide to send them (and this applies to the reverse-snobbery in this thread too). it's how you apply yourself.
and as someone else said, there are variations within the private school sector, as there is in the public sector, so dont judge every school on the particular one in your area, because its probably very misleading.
sorry for preaching- i couldnt help myself, i had to reply

this is really off topic, but how do i put smileys in the body of my message... i can only make them go at the very top of a post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)