• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Morris Iemma resigns (1 Viewer)

spiny norman

HSC
Graney said:
I don't like the dishonest way they're playing on the perception that being a garbage collector is a bad job.
It's not. I take it more as people going "Hey, that's not a run-of-the-mill job for a politician. And it's a very working-class job that will appeal to a good number of Labor supporters. It also seems kind of Chifley-esque in his being a train driver (though that was seen as a pretty decent job in early 20th century Australia).

It's mostly just an interesting anecdote of his life (in the sense that people can go "Chifley - wow, a man can go from train driver to Prime Minister" it can be "Rees - a garbage collector to Premier").

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
^Especially when everyone else in the party resigns! Wow!

spiny norman

HSC
Iron said:
^Especially when everyone else in the party resigns! Wow!
Even if they all did stay on, who springs to mind as being more compotent than someone you'd feel, presumably, neutral about?

Tebbutt or Watkins would've been my preference, but I'd take neutral over negatives like Iemma, Costa, Sartor, Meagher, Tripodi etc. Is that who you'd honestly advocate over him?

Everyone accepts it - State Labor under Iemma was fucked. The only way for it to stand any chance is go for a left field choice. That's done, and things are being shook up. I can't believe anybody thinks this is not a good move - it offers hope for something better where before there was a certain shittiness for the future.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
spiny norman said:
Even if they all did stay on, who springs to mind as being more compotent than someone you'd feel, presumably, neutral about?

Tebbutt or Watkins would've been my preference, but I'd take neutral over negatives like Iemma, Costa, Sartor, Meagher, Tripodi etc. Is that who you'd honestly advocate over him?

Everyone accepts it - State Labor under Iemma was fucked. The only way for it to stand any chance is go for a left field choice. That's done, and things are being shook up. I can't believe anybody thinks this is not a good move - it offers hope for something better where before there was a certain shittiness for the future.
If I remember correctly I could drag up some posts of yours defending Iemma's labor... either it wasn't that fucked up or you're a bit of a partisan hack.

HSC
spiny norman said:
I can't believe anybody thinks this is not a good move
While I'm feeling neutral until I see results, some people are just (understandably considering Iemma's reign and even Carr) anti-Labor altogether so they'll criticize anything the party does. I personally do not have high expectations of Rees, but I wouldn't mark him as another Iemma just yet.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
spiny norman said:

They were rotten to the core. Without that core, they're even less substantial. They're scraps! Seriously, what a joke. Iemma's resignation sealed the deal for his party (and for WA by the way)

spiny norman

HSC
Enteebee said:
If I remember correctly I could drag up some posts of yours defending Iemma's labor... either it wasn't that fucked up or you're a bit of a partisan hack.
Really? I don't think I would've in the past year, at least. And before then I doubt I'd have gushed, just more proclaimed them the lesser of two evils.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
spiny norman said:
It's not. I take it more as people going "Hey, that's not a run-of-the-mill job for a politician. And it's a very working-class job that will appeal to a good number of Labor supporters. It also seems kind of Chifley-esque in his being a train driver (though that was seen as a pretty decent job in early 20th century Australia).

It's mostly just an interesting anecdote of his life (in the sense that people can go "Chifley - wow, a man can go from train driver to Prime Minister" it can be "Rees - a garbage collector to Premier").
stupid democracy.

spiny norman

HSC
Tripodi's said to be staying in the ministry.

Now that leaves me a little worried.

Sartor to go, which I think he's a mistake - terribly corrupt, no doubt, but he's a very compotent organiser. I'd have kept him for some ministry wherein he won't be susceptible to bribes.

Lentern

HSC
spiny norman said:

Pfft, Carr might be a little more articulate, a snappier dresser and has a more suited face for a politician but ultimately the performances of Carr and Iemma weren't that different. Nor the ministers that worked below them. In Australia where the two major parties are so similar it's really a game of timing. Would labor be polling better if Carl Scully has succeded Carr or Carr had never retired, would Bob Hawke have been able to beat John Howard in 1996, all this is grass is greener on the other side folly.

There will come time when a government becomes stale, good governments it happens after their second re-election, less talented ones it happens after their first. And once that happens it's really a reason not to vote for the opposition than a reason to vote for the incumbent that decides elections. NSW labor is a very old government, Iemma took over at a time where re-election for Bob Carr would have been near impossible, in truth had Brodgen or O'farrell contested the 2007 election(sans the Brodgen gaffe) Iemma would probably be dead allready. But the silliness of Debnam and Carr's wise decision to shoulder responsbility for his years in government gave Iemma enough to get by. The changing leaders gambit will only have about 60% of the effect it had last time, the desire for change will be a lot higher this time round because people are sick of the same thing and O'farrell knows a bit more than Debnam.

Then there is the Rudd factor. No I'm not calling Rudd the worst PM in post war history or making any comment on his job for that matter. But people like splitting up the parties, it somehow makes them feel safer, like if the federal goes loopy the state will curb them and vice versa. In 1995 Bob Carr was Paul Keatings sole labor buddy whe the photograph was taken with the PM and his Premiers, In 2002 John Howard was without a liberal mate.

If Rees manages to win he'll prove an extraordinary capaigner, re-electing a 16 year old government, which included a pedophile(that's really the one extraordinary shortcoming of this government for it's length in power) against an electable opposition and with a labor federal government is an extremely difficult task. Labor supporters should be content with a sixteen year government, they're a rare electoral achievement and the new liberal government will probably help their laborites in Canberra.

atreus

HSC
Remember when John Howard was asked why State Liberals were struggling, and he said because all the talented liberals were in federal politics? lol.

spiny norman

HSC
Lentern said:
Pfft, Carr might be a little more articulate, a snappier dresser and has a more suited face for a politician but ultimately the performances of Carr and Iemma weren't that different. Nor the ministers that worked below them.
I agree, hence my hope in Rees has been that he picks a different ministry. In the sense of senior figures, he seems to have done so - only Kenneally, Roozendaal and Tripodi remain so far as shitty party hacks remain, and I'm disappointed he's conceded that.

In Australia where the two major parties are so similar it's really a game of timing. Would labor be polling better if Carl Scully has succeded Carr or Carr had never retired, would Bob Hawke have been able to beat John Howard in 1996, all this is grass is greener on the other side folly.
A 1996 Hawke vs Howard is impossible to speculate on, because there's no way Hawke would've defeated Hewson in '93. Hawke's Labor was in a terrible way from around 1988, somehow staved off defeat in 1990 and then was completely outperformed by Hewson. Keating's leadership, though, did revitalise the party, made 1992 a more successful year than any of Hawke's last four and gave them such a major victory over Hewson. A change of leaders can freshen up the party.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Mr Roozendaal dismissed the findings as "armchair advice from academics in ivory towers".

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
Mr Roozendaal dismissed the findings as "armchair advice from academics in ivory towers".
Hahahahahahhaha, Roozendaal is about as useful as a cockpump in a prison. This is the man that sought advice from the parents of dead children on the RTA's licensing policy, and not policy experts from other countries.

Lentern

HSC
spiny norman said:
I agree, hence my hope in Rees has been that he picks a different ministry. In the sense of senior figures, he seems to have done so - only Kenneally, Roozendaal and Tripodi remain so far as shitty party hacks remain, and I'm disappointed he's conceded that.

A 1996 Hawke vs Howard is impossible to speculate on, because there's no way Hawke would've defeated Hewson in '93. Hawke's Labor was in a terrible way from around 1988, somehow staved off defeat in 1990 and then was completely outperformed by Hewson. Keating's leadership, though, did revitalise the party, made 1992 a more successful year than any of Hawke's last four and gave them such a major victory over Hewson. A change of leaders can freshen up the party.
I think your dancing around the point. My first was that this notion that Iemma was a doddering old fool whom was being run round by big caucus thugs in the backroom whereas Bob Carr was a shrewd minded, powerful leader who knew what he was doing and had the caucus by the scruff of the neck is a myth. The reason Carr had a pleasent premiership and Iemma such a horrible one is reflective of timing not performance. Rees has had expectations lowered dramatically for him so he'll probably not get the hostile reception of Iemma but he'll still enjoy nothing like the goodweill Carr recieved from the public.

As for Hawke/Keating and Howard again the point is timing and that when it comes to beating old governments, being "sound" in opposition but with little substance to offer beats being "unstable" but with plenty of plus'. And in regards to Rees, 16 year old government and "sound" opposition leader spells change of government. Really the rest doesn't matter.

Last edited:
HSC
zeam said:
kevin no7 - VOTE LIBERAL, BITCH.
Kevin07 - sorry, but Mr. Rudd already won. Suck it.

Update:
To those saying that Federal Labor isn't doing anything, you really just have to look at their website to see that they are. Looking at each minister's news page can tell you a lot (they're updated several times a week):
http://www.alp.org.au/media/newslists.php

Specific to my remarks about the educational reforms, you may want to look here to see last week's update on the Education Revolution (a puffed up title, yet they're doing something about education and I'm glad for it):
http://mediacentre.dewr.gov.au/mediacentre/Gillard/Releases/EducationRevolutioninourSchools.htm

Last edited:

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
Hahahahahahaha, and if you want to find out what China is up to, make sure to visit China's number one news source. :)

I'll rely on information from the media, rather than the hacks at the party.

Musk2.0

HSC
spiny norman said:

Pfft Last Leader Labor Left put up was Whiltlam, look what happened to him

Expect Rees to be shafted by the right if he fucks something up

spiny norman

HSC
Musk2.0 said:
Pfft Last Leader Labor Left put up was Whiltlam, look what happened to him
I'm pretty sure you'll find Whitlam was from the Right. Last from the Left, at a national level, was John Curtin. Who was quite the abomination, you know.

On a state level, Anna Bligh's from the Left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)