• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Morris Iemma resigns (2 Viewers)

HSC
Wow NSW Labor has been completely gutted. How many senior ministers are actually continuing on?...Sartor and Tripodi...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^Works well for Labor. I was definately gonna vote Liberal next election but now I'm completely undecided.

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
Nebuchanezzar said:
^Works well for Labor. I was definately gonna vote Liberal next election but now I'm completely undecided.
Allow me to call absolute bullshit on that :)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
nebuchanezzar, you disappoint me for even considering that.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Well you see friends, a large degree of the incompetency in NSW Labor is now gone and the two parties become closer to each other in terms of what they offer, skillwise. What do I know about Barry O'Farrell? Nothing (though he lives on the North Shore). What do I know about Nathan Rees? Nothing (though he used to be a garbage man). What experience does each have with being the Premier? Very little, although on one hand O'Farrell's been in a position of power for a little longer, but on the flipside Rees inherits the current knowledge of the state that's passed down only through the Executive. It goes on and on.

Equal, oh my yes.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
? It is a comprehensively failed government. I feel insulted that Rees was even offered. How dare they expect anyone to vote Labor -let alone this loser -after this. The noble thing would have been for Granny what's her name to dismiss the government for gross negligence and invite O'Farrell to immediately form an interim

HSC
I've met Iemma. I've never met anyone like that before, he simply reeked of arrogance.

I can't tell the difference between either parties at the moment. Both parties are conservative when it comes to social issues and neither are big on spending on infastructure.

I saw Rees' interview last night. He didn't seem particually clever but he was brutally honest. Though I won't vote Labor until I see Meagher hanging from the roof of the senate.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
How was it honest? He described Iemma's resignation as "noble"

HSC
Iron said:
How was it honest? He described Iemma's resignation as "noble"
Yeah, but its not like he could slag him off.

He actually answers questions without 'fluffing' which I found amazing. It will be interesting to see where Labor will change over the next year.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
HisNameIsChris said:
Rees will be similar to Iemma and he will not gain support with the snob types due to his job as a garbage collector (and I think THAT, at least, is an unfair reason to dislike him since he was just using it to support his way through university).
I'm sick of hearing about how Rees was a garbage collector and how that somehow shows he's a down to earth, working class bloke.

Garbage collectors facts:
-They get payed very well.
-It's extremely hard to get into, you pretty much have to know someone in the industry- for many of the guys working it, it's a job for life. The guys who do it love it.

The party spin it as though it's somehow a virtue for him to have done the dirty work, it's playing on the stereotype that noone would want to be a garbo, but the fact is he had a well paid and extremely desireable job for an undergrad.
It's nothing to admire him for.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
But he did it at night to pay for uni. Don't ignore all the facts chum!

Humglish said:
I don't really care about the whole 'new face' of the labor party - they're still shit.
Educated and reasoned opinion right there. I wish I had a gun. :D

I'm just asking for people to give the new state executive a chance!!! :(

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
well it shows that he is a hard working bloke who's 'paid his dues' and whatever, no?

HSC
Graney said:
I'm sick of hearing about how Rees was a garbage collector and how that somehow shows he's a down to earth, working class bloke.

Garbage collectors facts:
-They get payed very well.
-It's extremely hard to get into, you pretty much have to know someone in the industry- for many of the guys working it, it's a job for life. The guys who do it love it.

The party spin it as though it's somehow a virtue for him to have done the dirty work, it's playing on the stereotype that noone would want to be a garbo, but the fact is he had a well paid and extremely desireable job for an undergrad.
It's nothing to admire him for.
True, that. I've heard this before but I didn't realize this as I was writing my comments. But the problem is that the connotations and stereotypes surrounding the job make the snobs think 'peasant' and as you said, other admire him for being "down to earth" and "working class bloke".

I would like to say that I never did say I admired him for it and never will admire him for it; and though I think he doesn't seem to be anyone special I'll reserve my judgement on him until I see what he can do between now and the election.

I hope people who are reading my replies aren't under the impression that I'm a Labor supporter through and through; I always look at it from both sides so I will end up voting for Liberal, Greens or Independent if Labor hasn't gotten their act together before the election.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
well it shows that he is a hard working bloke who's 'paid his dues' and whatever, no?
Most uni students have part-time jobs. His was very well paid and with great hours for a student. He's nothing special for it.

I don't like the dishonest way they're playing on the perception that being a garbage collector is a bad job. I wish I had the opportunity to become a garbage collector. It doesn't really show any special dedication on his part. Working woolies/fast food is far worse work. I'd admire him if he worked as a cleaner or something.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
^I doubt, VERY MUCH, that most uni students work at night to fund their education. I believe that most uni students come from wealthy/moderately well-off families that mostly support their children through uni (like myself). What I'm hearing is that Rees worked long hours at night to fund his study/life during the day. If I've been misinformed or if the information I've been fed has been skewed somehow, then I'm obviously wrong and can't be held responsible for that. :D

Graney said:
I don't like the dishonest way they're playing on the perception that being a garbage collector is a bad job. I wish I had the opportunity to become a garbage collector.
But what type of garbage collector? Truck driver? Yeah, easy I guess. Bin guy who takes trash from cans to dumpsters? Not pleasant.

Humglish said:
I'm not going to spent half an hour writing an essay as to why labor is shit on a freaking forum. But whoever wrote that article got paid to do it. Big difference.
Well maybe you should? What choo got planned tonight that's so important, comrade?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
What I'm hearing is that Rees worked long hours at night to fund his study/life during the day.
It's called HECS/HELP.

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
^I doubt, VERY MUCH, that most uni students work at night to fund their education. I believe that most uni students come from wealthy/moderately well-off families that mostly support their children through uni (like myself).
Who's to say that?

Richness=/=intelligence=/=hard working student (not necessarily, anyway)

I'd be willing to bet that at least half of the uni students need to work to support their education.

Graney said:
It's called HECS/HELP.
I can't tell from the Wikipedia article on him (nor can I spare the time to properly research it), but Rees may have moved out during/before university. If so, he wouldn't have been able to support himself just with the government assistance.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)