• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

CSSA IPT 2003 Trial (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JRasnier
i would love to have a whole hsc exam on just networks =)
:)

Take a cisco certification exam or something then :D
or, just visit nortel networks, lucent or any other firm when you're old enough and give it a whirl, get some sort of certification in terms of networks and you'll be seeing an entire test based on networking :)

JRasnier

im already doing Network Management Cert 4, finish end this year, do it tuesday, wednesday and friday 6 - 10 pm,
and do Cisco every second saturday 9am - 1 pm
and yes i am finishing hsc end this year, and have been doing network management three nights a week since start of year 11 lolz thinkin of going for a MCSE exam before year finishes....plannin to also get into BIT at UTS just hoping....

Huy

HSC
N/A
lol alright, cool. :)

each weekday i bludge and bludge some more.
every saturday i sleep for half the day,

and once i finish the hsc, i'll be bludging some more.
computers/IT are an interest/hobby of mine, not a career choice.

but good luck with BIT@UTS,
also, if you're going for MCSE/other cert, there are plenty of pdf's/ebooks on the net about them, so you'll be well prepared (unless you have the books already) :)

JRasnier

i got everything lolz, even linux, wish i could get a linux course but have u seen the prices ??? overkill i beleive, i use linux also as well as windows 2000 advanced server, and got a lan of 20 pcs at home, networked to next door neighbours too.lolz

how do u study huy? ive been trying all different ways but the only best way i can do it is by listening to the teacher but when i read a book it just keeps just going over my head...

Huy

HSC
N/A
"got everything" sounds a little shifty, but I'm not going to question that ;)

I don't really pay attention to computing courses, but my last preference would be B.Eng (comp. eng) or something like B.comp.sci (advanced).

you've got a nice setup there,
i've just got a couple of PC's (win2000/XP) hooked up to a 16-port switch, file sharing, cable (telstra) ethernet modem and a gateway box acting as a firewall.

how do i study?
i listen in class
i do my homework
i read the text before i do my homework
i read the text after i do my homework

so, reading helps :)
but i generally pay attention, i listen to everything,
i help people out at school and that way i can learn myself (and gauge how much i know, as opposed to what i should know).

but yeah, listening in class, reading ahead, reading the text, and doing a few multiple choice q's -- looking at the exam structure, etc. :)

JRasnier

i meant i got everything planned, anywayz yeaha, thats kewlz, yeaha cause i can listen in class, do no homework do no study and get still a good mark, but i want to get into those top marks like band 6....

asymptote03

HSC
N/A
Hey

if we wanna do this course in holiodays after HSC....would we finish b4 uni starts??

Originally posted by JRasnier
im already doing Network Management Cert 4, finish end this year, do it tuesday, wednesday and friday 6 - 10 pm,
and do Cisco every second saturday 9am - 1 pm
and yes i am finishing hsc end this year, and have been doing network management three nights a week since start of year 11 lolz thinkin of going for a MCSE exam before year finishes....plannin to also get into BIT at UTS just hoping....

asymptote03

HSC
N/A
Huy

im impressed....what school do u go to?

and what did u get in ur Multiple choice?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by asymptote03
Huy im impressed....what school do u go to?
Patrician Brothers' College Fairfield
it's a western suburbs school ;)

and what did u get in ur Multiple choice?
I got 18/20 for multiple choice (90%)

In CSSA trial o got 15/20 in Multi choice....that was the highest in our class.....
That's a very good mark. Most people in my class were getting low marks, but the top 5 or so students in my class scored within the 15, 16+ range. The highest being 18/20 (me :)). I dont know what the lowest mark was, but I am assuming it is < 5.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
I think it's right, some were saying 0.3 seconds! (Yeah right).
9600 bps / 8 = 1200 Kb/s
1200 / 1024 = 1.171875 KB/s
4 KB / 1.171875 = 3.4133333333333333333333333333333

how did you work that out without a caculator?

Huy

HSC
N/A
You can do it without a calculator, by approximating.

I know 56,700bps to be 7KB/s (tops), see previous pages
Given 9600bps, that is rougly 1/6th of 56K
therefore the bandwidth at any given time is given by ~1 to 1.1KB/s

In a 4KB file, it would not exceed 4 seconds, transferring at 1KB/s (at a minimum).

The possible answers were:

a) 3
b) 0.4
c) 6
d) 4.3

A was the correct answer.
You could also do it mathematically (as you've quoted), but again, it will be an approximation and making use of guesswork.

You could also do it such that:
9600 bps remains constant (leaving it in bits per second)
4KB approximates to 4 x 1KB
1KB approximates to 1000 bytes (or 1024 for the pedantic)
therefore it is 4000 bytes,
multiply 4000 by 8 (8 bits per byte)
gives 32000 (you can do this using multiplication, no calculator)

now, given that 4KB = 4000 bytes or 32000 bits
knowing that the transfer rate is 9600 bits per second

32000 / 96000
crossing out the three zero's

32 / 9
= 3.5 seconds (as 3*9 = 27, remainder of 5/9th's of a second)
3.5 is closer to 3, than it is to 4.3 :)

Leaving 3 seconds (A) to be the answer, discounting 0.4 seconds (B), 6 seconds (C), and 4.3 seconds (D)

Hope that helps you :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah, i get the approximation thing tho, it was just it was all worked out exactly right, which would be damn impossible off tha top of ya head..and i didnt know what the possible answers were, its good they spaced them out a bit.

Huy

HSC
N/A
It would have been hell if they had asked for:

a) 3s
b) 3.2s
c) 3.5s
d) 3.7s

I have a weird tendency to pick even numbers in my guess-work LOL :)

Jeo

no one sneaked a copy of it out? :( if you did.....PLEASE!!! scan it and give it to me! TY

Huy

HSC
N/A
Anyway, someone asked for my IPT 2003 Trial marks, and we've received them back today (along with Chemistry, English, Extension 1 Creative (Section II) and Extension 2 Reports)

I scored 80%
Not very happy about that, seeing as though I skipped the last page of Multimedia Systems (worth 8-10 marks?) due to time constraints.

But I came 1st so that's all that matters, I still maintain my position/ranking.

The average was 50%

Mark Breakdown (for those interested, if not, just skip this :))

Total marks - 100
Section I
Questions 1-20
Multiple choice - 18/20

Section II
Questions 21-24
Short answers on core topics

21a) 2/2
21b) 0/3
21ci) 0/2
21cii) 2/3

22a) 2/2
22b) 3/3
22c) 5/5

23a) 2/3
23bi) 2/3
23bii) 4/4

24ai) 1/1
24aii) 2/2
24aiii) 2/3
24b) 4/4

Section III
Question 25 Question 28
Short answers on option topics
I attempted Transaction Processing Systems and Multimedia Systems.

25a) 3/3
25bi) 2/2
25bii) 4/4
25biii) 4/4
25ci) 2/3
25cii) 4/4

28a) 2/3
28b) 4/4
28c) 4/4
28di) 1/1
28dii) 1/4
28diii) 0/4

Stuffed up Q28 (Multimedia Systems) as you can see, missed out on a lot of marks while working steadily through short answers and going back to answer multiple choice at the last minute.

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
i got my back today...

got 68...meh, highest was 75...

i was kinda pee off...i should have got better marks...some of the q's asked, i answered directly to it but still did not earn the marks coz of watever stupid reason

like outline blah blah..........
and the criteria expects u to have a definition when there was no words like desribe or explain...

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yeah, that was another thing.

I usually give definitions before I start answering anything, so they'll give me the marks there.

But my problem is, I tend to write too much in order to achieve the best possible marks (for example, the ones where I've got full marks in, I had to write 3/4 of a page to over 1x A4 page to get those marks).

If I had completed the entire paper, I would have been in the 90s, but seeing as though I've just crept into the 80s, I'll leave it there. (1st is 1st, I'm beating the rest by miles).

Also, the CSSA marking guidelines were adhered to at my school, so teachers can't give you marks even though you're on the right track/know what you're talking about, if you don't have it written down, you don't get the marks (which is why I generally scored 2/3 for most parts, losing 1 mark here, another mark there, etc).

In the HSC however, I'm going to get 90+ no matter what (very confident, I know, but I have to) otherwise I'll be really disappointed with myself. I was really expecting 85-90+ in this examination (CSSA).

*Cries* :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
Grr... at half marks and "3.75" out of 5

At our school, it's either 0, or 1. (Think binary ;))
We mark according to HSC standards/style, and the teachers use the verbs as well ie "Outlines 1-2" ... "Outlines ALL..." ... "Outlines 1..." for the mark allocation.

Good stuff there asymptote, well done! :)

There goes my Band 6 for IPT (raw assessment mark, pre-moderation, pre-allignment, pre-scaling, pre-whatever :D).

Final assessment mark of 88 (hopefully this will scale to 90+ so I'll be glad about this...)

Last edited:

asymptote03

HSC
N/A
well thats how our teacher marked it....:~]

also our teacher used the key words...

thanks Huy....i hope oi get >90 in hSC

n what did u get in chem trial....i got 78% what a shame highest was 86.5 im too upset...as the teacher expected me to get >85%

Im not sure of my final assessment mark.,....

my marks are:

13.05/15 Multimedia
14/15 Communication Sys
??/25 MAJOR PROJECT...she hasnt marked it
25.125/30 Trails
??/15 TPS/....we have an open book exam in 2 weeks.....

i also hope around 88....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)