• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

CSSA IPT 2003 Trial (1 Viewer)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tigerboi
HUY IS A GIRL!!!
Hah shut up Peter.
Just because I didn't show you my maths (2/3U) marks today.

neesha

My teach is always saying it's not good enuf 2 just know what a "communication system" is 4 example, like u have 2 use that knowledge to adapt it 2 scenarios, 4 example, in the option questions. However, I found this trial weird cuz it asked definitions of 'hyperactivity', etc, like it was asking 4 knowledge instead of applying it!! ah well...!!

HSC
hmm i dont remember a hyperactivity question....i gotta look at it tomorrow (teacher didnt give it back yet...he still has it while we continue to go through it and find errors and stuff)

hope you guys get the marks you wanted!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by neesha
cuz it asked definitions of 'hyperactivity', etc, like it was asking 4 knowledge instead of applying it!! ah well...!!
Originally posted by skip to my lou
hmm i dont remember a hyperactivity question....i gotta look at it tomorrow
It was asking for:

Question 28 - Multimedia Systems (20 marks)
(a) Define the following terms when used in multimedia systems.
(i) Hypertext
(ii) Interactivity
(iii) Animation

I think Neesha is getting her terms mixed up, between 'hypertext' and 'interactivity' (hyperactivity ;))

(b) In the processing of animation, explain the difference between
(i) Cell-based and Path based animation
(ii) Morphing and warping

I prefer these kinds of questions, because it's straight out repetition and textbook knowledge. Read it, recall it, write it, don't even think about it :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
You moron, I sit behind you.

JRasnier

ive been complaining about my rank since the start of the year since i stuffed up one assesment, then from every assesment after, even getting into top 10 in rank in my year, the rank kept incrementing by 1, but now the heavens opened up and allowed meeh to jump 8 spots to rank 19 in year, and still one exam left until hsc, woot woot, oh yeah i came 9th in year for CSSA trials... which allowed meeh to jump 8 spots, thank god for the trials..

Huy

HSC
N/A
Well done JRasnier,
We have to wait until monday until our marks come in.

So far we've only received our question booklets and multiple choice. (see the back pages of this thread for more).

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
I prefer these kinds of questions, because it's straight out repetition and textbook knowledge. Read it, recall it, write it, don't even think about it :D
i do too... i loev definition style ones although i have given up on learning definitions word for word because they never ask them... but as long as you roughly know what it is you can amke it up on the spot... i hate situation based questions which before i joined ipt i didnt know that thats exactly what the entire hsc is... hopefully i will get a few define questions in my trial

^___^
HSC
mostly they will ask something to do with real life situation...

like theres a bank.............blah blah blah...and they ask u questions about it...

just know ur stuff, dun force the cramming of definition

Huy

HSC
N/A
that explains the CSSA option topic on communication systems? :)
You should know your definitions, cram them if you have to, but "..." is also correct in saying that they'll want to test how much you know, along with how much you have learnt as a process.

For example, it's all well and good if you can define _________, but can you apply that knowledge in a real-world situation, or based on criteria and scenarios?

That's what the case studies/scenarios are for. They want to know how much you know, and you can show them what you know, and what you've learnt throughout the year by demonstrating the use of terms, how things work, why they work, why you wouldn't use _______, _______ or ________, outlining the advantages/disadvantages of ________ vs __________ and so on.

If they ask for definitions, that's great, easy marks.
But if they ask for a scenario or an application of theory, then you'll need to do some guesswork and (gasp) ...thinking. :)

asymptote03

HSC
N/A
Hey
in the CSSA paper there was this Multy Choice...involving Gateways, Routers, Switches and Bridges.....

But the Syllabus doesnt specify Gateways and Bridges....shud we know them?

Also....Jacaranda has BACKBONES....which aint in the Syllabus...

And...ppl how are ur over all views of Multy choice....i think they mainly concentrated on Core 1........n i found HSC 2002 Multi Choice easier....

In CSSA trial o got 15/20 in Multi choice....that was the highest in our class.....

I wont mind a mark above 80 in Trials....for i was sick on the day....but im aiming for a BAND 6...

Cheers

asymptote03

HSC
N/A
Traditionsal Systems vs Electroinc communication Systems

i think i stuffed up Traditionsal Systems vs Electroinc communication Systems cos i wrote merely about advantages of Traditional Methods of Organising and Computerised methods of Organising ...

What did u guys write?

n what level was this exam./....HARDER or EASIER than the HSC??

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by asymptote03
in the CSSA paper there was this Multy Choice involving Gateways, Routers, Switches and Bridges
The question:
19. Two LANs are connected - a ring and a bus network. The system analyst finds that both networks are using a similar protocol. Which device should the analyst use to connect the two networks?

(A) Bridge or Router
(B) Bridge or Gateway
(C) Gateway or Router
(D) File Server

The kicker?
"finds that both networks are using a similar protocol.". So you should immediately think of bridges if there are similar networks being connected.

This narrows down your choices to A or B.
(The answer, of course, is A).

You have talked about Switches, but that wasn't in the question (set of possible answers). So I am assuming that you meant to say "File Server" in answer (D).

Let's define a few things now,
Bridge - a combination of hardware and software used to link two similar networks. So if you talk about bridges, think of networks, and think about two similar networks.

Router - a device that determines where to send a data packet between at least two networks. This is what you want, because you have one LAN (ie a network of two topologies, refer back to the question) and you'll be transferring/sending data within and between such networks.

Gateway - a combination of hardware and software used to link two different types of networks. As the question has stated, they are two similar networks. So you can automatically disregard answers (B) or (C), as they contain gateways.

Now, looking at the remaining answers, there is (A) - the bridge and router, and (D) - the file server.

Let's define what a file server is, just so you know.
File Server - a controlling computer in a network that stores the programs and data shared by users. This has relevance to the two networks, as they will have two networks which are (presumably) created to share files, data, applications/software and limited resources such as storage or printing facilities.

So that gets rid of (D), and you're left with (A) - the bridge and router. :)

But the Syllabus doesnt specify Gateways and Bridges....shud we know them?
Yes, you will need to know them (see my aforementioned definitions, above).

Jacaranda has BACKBONES....which aint in the Syllabus
I'm not a Jacaranda fan (in terms of IPT), but I am a Heinemann supporter/advocate/proponent. Jacaranda tends to waffle and beat around the bush, so they will often include things that aren't in the syllabus. You will not need to know about backbones in the HSC, IPT course (unless, of course, you are interested in reading about them or knowing about backbones and why they are so important to networks, especially in terms of the Internet).

how are ur over all views of Multy choice....i think they mainly concentrated on Core 1........n i found HSC 2002 Multi Choice easier....
I havent done the 2002 HSC paper (multiple choice) but I will have a look at that in the future most probably. Lets take a look at the breakdown in terms of the 2003 CSSA IPT trial.

Q1 Project Work (Project plans and project management)
Q2 - Project Work (Communication Skills)
Q3 - Project Work (Social/ethical issue - the changing nature of work)
Q4 - Project Work (Understanding the problem prototyping)
Q5 - Project Work (Designing solutions Design tools)
Q6 - Project Work (Designing solutions Design tools)
Q7 - Project Work (System Development Life Cycle)
Q8 - Project Work (Designing solutions Design tools)
Q9 Project Work (System Development Life Cycle)
Q10 - Information Systems and Databases (Searching)
Q11 - Information Systems and Databases (Flat file databases)
Q12 - Information Systems and Databases (Relational databases - Schemas)
Q13 Information Systems and Databases (Searching)
Q14 Information Systems and Databases (Issues relating to Information Systems - Accuracy of data)
Q15 Information Systems and Databases (Social and ethical issue Privacy Act)
Q16 Communication Systems (Speed of transmission)
Q17 Communication Systems (Error checking methods)
Q18 Communication Systems (Transmitting and Receiving transmission of data, modes of transmission)
Q19 Communication Systems (Network topologies, network hardware)
Q20 Communication Systems (Network topologies, network hardware and access methods)

They are a little bit skewed,
45% Project Work (Core 1)
30% Information Systems and Databases (Core 2)
25% Communication Systems (Core 3)

In CSSA trial o got 15/20 in Multi choice....that was the highest in our class.....
That's a very good mark. Most people in my class were getting low marks, but the top 5 or so students in my class scored within the 15, 16+ range. The highest being 18/20. I dont know what the lowest mark was, but I am assuming it is < 5.

I wont mind a mark above 80 in Trials....but im aiming for a BAND 6...
I wouldn't mind a mark like that too. I haven't received my IPT trial back, but I'm hoping for 85-90+

I am also aiming for that Band 6, not only in the trial, but in terms of the IPT course itself. I'm on track for it, but we'll wait until our trials are returned until I can confirm/reject the mark

what level was this exam./....HARDER or EASIER than the HSC??
I envisage the CSSA trials, as with every other CSSA (2003) trial to be harder than the actual HSC examination in October/November. :)

i think i stuffed up Traditionsal Systems vs Electroinc communication Systems cos i wrote merely about advantages of Traditional Methods of Organising and Computerised methods of Organising ...
If the question is asking for electronic/traditional methods of COMMUNICATION, then you dont get marks for writing about traditional/electronic methods of ORGANISING data.

Non-computer and computer-based methods of organising, which I will assume you have done. This is NOT what the question required... so if you spoke about methods of organising data (that is, Core 2: Information Systems and Databases), then you wont get any marks, because I am sure that the question was asking about Electronic/Traditional methods of COMMUNICATION (which, therefore, lies in Core 3: Communication Systems).

This was Question 24(b) sorry,
Question 24
(b) In the past, students did their research in a library or used encyclopaedias that may have had at home. Since the introduction of electronic communication, students do ost of their research on the Internet.

Discuss this issue outlining the advantages and disadvantages of electronic communication over traditional methods.
4 marks

You should have talked about things such as:
* Teleconferencing

* Telephone, fax, voice mail, electronic mail

* EFTPOS
* Electronic banking

Basically, you will need to choose one or two, (maybe three) and highlight the advantages and disadvantages of such communication systems and compare them to the traditional systems such as letters and telegrams (ie crappy methods of communication).

Things you can talk about are:
- able to send messages to more than one person
- able to send multiple messages quickly (see above)
- fast delivery
- large storage capacity
- takes less time to send something
- able to visually see/hear the person (teleconferencing and voice mail)
- transactions are faster (EFTPOS)
- saves transport costs, bills, money, etc

All you had to do was talk/write about what the advantages were, using examples of a communication system, then go on about the disadvantages and relate them back to the scenario of students doing their research at home (electronic) vs doing it at the library (traditional).

Hope this helps you out :)
Cheers.

I took an hour to type/think of all that! (Reading your first post asymptote, as well as your PMs and replying to both your first and second question (with multiple sub-questions) at the same time. I'm too slow, especially late at night, when my mind thinks about other things *whistles* :D ;)

Good luck with it, asymptote. :)

Last edited:

JRasnier

huy be careful what u call Network and what u call Topology....cause a different network could just mean different ip address range.......

Huy

HSC
N/A
Network: a number of computers (nodes) and devices (hardware, printers, etc) connected together in some manner. ie connecting PC's together at home to form a LAN.

Topology: the physical arrangement of the devices on a network. ie star, ring, bus, hybrid, etc.

IPT doesn't ask for subnets and IP ranges, nor does it ask for network configuration and TCP/IP, but it does ask for network collision prevention methods in terms of token rings and ethernet networks. :)

I generally simply "network of computing devices" to network, which will work.

But I don't mean to say that my usage of "network" in IPT relates directly to real-world applications such as infrastructures and domains, etc.

JRasnier

yes, but as i said a different network can also mean different ip address range or class, oh yeh a gateway can also be setup to act as a router too :) by the way ig ot 15/20 for multiple choice but could of got one extra mark if i didnt change it, also if u wanna get into even more depth u cant really say a ring topology is a ring because its actually physically a bus....as it has terminaters on either end....

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
and an adsl/cable modem can have router functionality, so too can a gateway act as a file server, print server, mail server, web server, and as your standalone PC -- it can even run network operating systems (NOS).

hehe,
i know what you're getting at, but in terms of IPT, and only IPT, these definitions will be applied and are common throughout the HSC syllabus.

JRasnier

dayumz and i thought i was gonna try to be a smartass secretly :rolleyes: i would love to have a whole hsc exam on just networks =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)