• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

christianity and dinosaurs> can they be friends? (3 Viewers)

~*~Karina~*~

Sophie777 said:
And in addition to this. Humans and chimps share 99% of their DNA. How can you refute the FACT that we absolutely have descended from apes with your blind belief in religion?

We were once apes. They are incredibly intelligent animals and this does not diminish our ability to love one another and keep on living. I am at a loss for words for someone who believes in a religion because it is easier to believe that than accept that the world is an accident of nature or that we were not the supreme beings we are made out to be in the bible.

There is something out there that made this world. But I don't believe being frightened of the fact of not knowing is reason enough to put blind faith in something with so many faults. How can you possible believe in something that discriminated against people purely for their sexual urge or for their sexuality? How can you possibly believe in something that puts women down so much and that directs women to be slaughtered for adultery? Is it not obvious to you that this religion has been out moded?
I agree with all that sophie...and all your other posts too. I'm not saying God doesn't exist. I believe in God, or a higher power of some kind, and I have faith...i don't, however, have faith in organised religion. How can just one religion be 'right'? If people have faith in God, shouldn't they be able to see that 'he' is bigger than all the organised religions? That he is beyond and above all the pettiness of these religions who are continuously fighting to prove that theirs is the 'right' one? I believe that God is God, no matter what the religion... We can't put blind faith into a religion that is merely man's interpretation of what they believe God wants. What gives different religions the right to discriminate against others because they believe that their way is the only way? People (of all religions) want to seek God, and revel in what faith has to offer, but in doing so we subvert the essence of faith itself...In trying to reach God, we miss out on the pureness of 'God', because we are continuously trying to define the concept, and fighting to prove that one way is right over another.

K

katie_tully

Personally, I revel in what Streets Cornetto Ice Creams have to offer me, and the essence of that fantastic creamy center. In trying to reach the caramel center, I miss out on the essance of "what is that ice cream made of", and I don't get to experience all that my $2.80 investment has to offer.

~*~Karina~*~

Comrade nathan said:
You say people need god, they wouldnt if they had everything they need here in the real world. Religoin is just another drug for some people. This is why religion flurished so much. The ruling class of the feudal years promoted the modern religons of either Christanity or Islam, or in eastern countries the religions with multi gods. All religons were created on a the same grounds, live you life accordingly as to how these holy books are written and your next life will be not like this. Using religion as a tool of oppression they commited mass extrocites, yet the masses did not save themselves, why? Because they believed that they were already saved through "god".

Interesting way of looking at it...it makes sense though. Using the facade of religion to commit acts that in no way could be considered beneficial to humanity, to supress the masses from any true belief...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think religion has been used in that way, but i don't think people sat down and said 'i'm going to make up religion to manipulate people', i think it's more likely religion existed as people started to ask questions others couldn't answer, then later on others figured out they could use it as a tool to control people.

Sophie777

The difference between a personal God and the God of an organised religion?

EVERYTHING!

It is less pretentious and everybody doesn't battle to prove self-righteousness. There is a recognition that something exists which is great and guides the creation of the world in some way but has no actual bearing on existing events. But there is something, it is illogical for there to be nothing.

Personal God isn't as God with rules and regulations and ways of defining and guiding the way we live life. It, or he, is merely a spirit or something that you feel gives some sort of order to why we are here. But it doesn't define how we live or if things go wrong or well, it isn't him or the outer logic. I guess what I am saying is, a personal God is just a recognition that there is something greater than a void. We aren't in nothingness but what humans have devised thousand of years prior does not provide the answers.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I think religion has been used in that way, but i don't think people sat down and said 'i'm going to make up religion to manipulate people', i think it's more likely religion existed as people started to ask questions others couldn't answer, then later on others figured out they could use it as a tool to control people.
I aggree that to.

Also that it new relgions were progressive. Jesus believe in a higher form like all people of his time. What makes him progressive is what he said about society poor and etc. Mohhumad was more progressive in some ways. This lead to the creation of new societies placing the ruling class a religous promoting class. The rest is history and we are at a new stage in the 21st century where we have so much skills that we can deafet dogmatism and be progressive once again.

lengstar

HSC
Why does it 'need' to be a God though? some people live their lives aiming for their dreams, striving to achieve their goals with an unwavering determination. Do you really need to believe in God? I think that those who don't know, don't care or don't want to worry about existence or the afterlife just choose to follow 'God' so they don't have to worry about it. Others base their entire lives living around the doctrines set out by their God. Its not wrong to believe in God, but it is wrong to enforce it in a manner suggested by Comrade nation.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
because we kept getting accused that we were being mean to other people's faiths... and people were stating that the purpose of this forum isn't to question other people's faith.. just to state what you believe and not be questioned.

We thought to shut them up we'd start a new thread?

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
there is more historical evidence (not including the bible) to support that jesus christ was alive than to support the fact that julius ceasor was a real person. there is more historical evidence to claim jesus did miracles than prove that ceasor ruled over the people.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes, but no one's trying to prove to me that julius ceasar could do supernatural things.... at the moment we have leaders, just like julius ceasar, it's alot easier to believe.

There are thousands of books all around the globe of harry potter, does this therefor mean that harry potter is a historical fact?

Last edited:

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
There are thousands of books all around the globe of harry potter, does this therefor mean that harry potter is a historical fact?
there is a difference between "books" and "historical evidence" historical evidence that i was referring to was that of historians, philosophers of jesus' time, and other writers of jesus time.
there are 5 harry potter books but printed many times. it is the same thing repeated by one woman. this historical evidence proving Jesus, is written by more than one person.
ur point about harry potter was stupid and irrelevant. as that was nothing like wat i had been saying in my post.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yes, but no one's trying to prove to me that julius ceasar could do supernatural things.... at the moment we have leaders, just like julius ceasar, it's alot easier to believe.
and this.... lets just forget about this part?

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes, but no one's trying to prove to me that julius ceasar could do supernatural things.... at the moment we have leaders, just like julius ceasar, it's alot easier to believe.
sorry, not forgotten. i dont think i hav been trying to prove that jesus did supernatural things during his time on earth

but oh, wait...
he did.
and still does :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)