• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

christianity and dinosaurs> can they be friends? (3 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
wtf?!
I cannot possibly imagine a 'personal' reson for your belief.

If it involves a sickness which you had/have then don't give us the specifics..

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Maybe you need to read what I said again. I was not providing an argument as to whether their belief is correct, I was providing an argument as to by people BELIEVE THERE IS A GOD.
That's what I said

!

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
wtf?!
I cannot possibly imagine a 'personal' reson for your belief.

If it involves a sickness which you had/have then don't give us the specifics..
I don't have to prove anything to you. I am simply putting forth my beliefs.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
waterfowl said:
I find it hard to believe that your brain doesn't even begin to comprehend that you could be wrong. I'm sure in the back of your head there is a little voice saying "what if he's right?"
UM IT DOES HENCE I'M AGNOSTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
waterfowl said:
I don't have to prove anything to you. I am simply putting forth my beliefs.
Well you can understand then when no-one can give us ANY reason for belief in God, there is justifiably some question as to why the hell we would believe.

K

katie_tully

When somebody proves to me there is a God, I will be a believer.
When somebody proves to me that I am a direct descendant of pond scum, I will be a believer.
Until then, I am content knowing that I'll probably die from cancer, CVD, a bus, or death by idiocy, and that when I die, worms will infect my rotting corpse and eat me like a fat kid on Big Mac Day...
Who wants to live in eternity in a happy existance anyway... eternity is like, a long time... forever and shit.

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
so you're saying you have proof and don't want to disclose it?
are you a raelian?
Raelian?

I have my own personal proof which is enough for me, but may not be for others

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
waterfowl said:
Raelian?

I have my own personal proof which is enough for me, but may not be for others
Right. So if you have your own "personal proof" you can claim God exists, while all these people asking for a single reason why God might exist, cannot be given ONE BLOODY REASON, you think it's very convincing? Surely there are other Christians who haven't gone through some sickness but they still believe - why do they?

waterfowl

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Right. So if you have your own "personal proof" you can claim God exists, while all these people asking for a single reason why God might exist, cannot be given ONE BLOODY REASON, you think it's very convincing? Surely there are other Christians who haven't gone through some sickness but they still believe - why do they?

Why don't you ask them?

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
ok.... well what's your personal belief? why not disclose it?
fear of some logical reasoning to it...?
No because it's personal, thats like me asking you to disclose your relationship with your parents (or other loved one) in all its detail and prove to me why you love them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I dunno which 'incurable' disease he got cured of anyway...
Cancer is a curable disease (in some cases)...
If you got a disease like aids... which has no cure and managed to not die from it, maybe that would seem like a miracle to me.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes it's personal... but it's not like you telling me why you believe in god is going to embarass you or anything.
It's more like you asking me 'why do you love your girlfriend', then me responding 'THAT's PERSONAL!'...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The problem is usually tho... that in the end believers don't want to go by what's 'correct' but with what they believe...
If someone solves a math problem for them, gives them the correct answer they do not argue that it is wrong, but in this ONE aspect of their life they're willing to lose logic..

I think it all comes down to fear...
i thought that was why religion is another word and not mushed into mathematics. Its not a matter of what if its correct. You have no idea if its correct or not, for all we know, we might find ourselves in hell and kicking ourselves. We both don't know, regardless of logic.

You deal with christianity as a maths problem - find faults = its not correct.

I'm an atheist. I deal with logic. I logically find the way people challenge Christianity unusual to their reason why. Yes, there are faults, to do with its patriarchy etc, but you miss the real reason and element of religion of why it must seperate itself from science. Not the "logic" but the "philosophy" and way of thinking.

moonlightsonata said:
That is an argument as to why people should believe that there is a God, not whether their belief in god is correct.
but it IS an argument as to why it isn't necessarily wrong.

Suppose you could somehow prove the incorrect quality of religion. Is that what it you're wishing for? Those who are religious know that it is the HOW religion affects you, means to you personally, not the WHAT, so you're attacking at a weird angle.

If you read my posts, you'll see that I love religious debates.

moonlightsonata said:
Still no reason for believing in God. Amazing! You can perpetually go on about your beliefs without giving any reasons for them. It is simply astounding. Come on now, you must have some reason for actually thinking the things you do.
Not one Christian here has enforced Christianity and tried to prove to you, Moonlightsonata, that you should believe in God, so don't patronise waterfowl. He was talking about religion affecting HIM not you.

Last edited:

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes it's personal... but it's not like you telling me why you believe in god is going to embarass you or anything.
It's more like you asking me 'why do you love your girlfriend', then me responding 'THAT's PERSONAL!'...
No but love is a complicated thing. You could say something about why you love them, but it wouldn't do it justice, and it probably wouldn't prove to me that you love her.

K

katie_tully

In Waterfowls defence;
He does not have to explain nor rationalise his beliefs to anybody. He does not have to provide proof nor explain himself to anybody, especially not up start children who believe they have the world under their belt.
he doesn't want to disclose his reasons as to why he follows the Christian faith? Good, he doesn't have to.
Debate the religion, do not debate the people who follow it. It is up for interpretation, not personal attacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)