• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

christianity and dinosaurs> can they be friends? (2 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ur inner child, this is a debate about religion.
if you want to simply continue to say 'JUST ACCEPT EVERYONE'S FAITHS' then leave the discussion, if everyone wanted to keep to themselves they simply should not voice their opinion.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
ur inner child, this is a debate about religion.
if you want to simply continue to say 'JUST ACCEPT EVERYONE'S FAITHS' then leave the discussion, if everyone wanted to keep to themselves they simply should not voice their opinion.
I'm debating FOR religion... if you haven't noticed.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
katie_tully said:
In Waterfowls defence;
He does not have to explain nor rationalise his beliefs to anybody. He does not have to provide proof nor explain himself to anybody, especially not up start children who believe they have the world under their belt.
he doesn't want to disclose his reasons as to why he follows the Christian faith? Good, he doesn't have to.
Debate the religion, do not debate the people who follow it. It is up for interpretation, not personal attacks.
If he doesn't want to disclose his reasons for his faith, that is fine, if he wasn't participating in an argument trying to prove his point.
That's like me joining an argument in abortion and saying 'abortion is wrong', then on being asked why say 'i have my reasons'.

K

katie_tully

So ask somebody else why. He was simply saying he follows the Christian faith, and that he has his reason. He doesn't need to go into the specifics, if he doesnt want to disclose then he doesnt have to. There will be other people for religion joining the thread that will possibly disclose why.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Exactly.

ur_inner_child said:
but it IS an argument as to why it isn't necessarily wrong.

Suppose you could somehow prove the incorrect quality of religion. Is that what it you're wishing for? Those who are religious know that it is the HOW religion affects you, means to you personally, not the WHAT, so you're attacking at a weird angle.
Well I am arguing about the existence of God - it's a fairly straightforward and common debate. If you want to argue that, "it doesn't matter whether God exists because religion may produce the greatest good," that's a utilitarian perspective that is interesting but I am discussing whether God exists - and that seems to be the whole theme of the forum after all. Not exactly a "weird angle."

ur_inner_child said:
Not one Christian here has enforced Christianity and tried to prove to you, Moonlightsonata, that you should believe in God, so don't patronise waterfowl. He was talking about religion affecting HIM not you.
This is a discussion, and I was simply asking someone to present a reason as to why God exists. No-one seems to be able to do that. I don't think that's particularly patronising.

Sophie777

Waterfowl, if you somehow got cured of an incurable disease then don't you think it is suspect that you refuse to share what disease this was. I.e. that you are making it up. You can't say a miracle happened and then not give information as you probably realise that one of us here will tell you that the disease is curable.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It really bothers me in a debate when people start talking about 'personal beliefs' and not disclosing things, i like to think the idea of these debates is to have progressive discussions where both sides put their cards on the table...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Considering that the topic of the thread isn't exactly "Does God Exist" then I don't think we're both correct.

K

katie_tully

Waterfowl's argument is therefore redundant, leave it at that.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The following is a list of the reasons why it's wrong to believe in things because you think you've experienced a miracle..

Atheism Articles said:
# Lots of people have personally witnessed Elvis working at the Drive-Thru. Should I believe them also? Without any sort of evidence, personal subjective testimony is not very convincing.
# Many people from other religions claim to have witnessed miracles. Does this mean that their God also exists? Just how many Gods are there?
# Are you positive that Divine Intervention is the only possible explanation for what you saw?

Sophie777

I wanna know what disease it was!

God is not so trivial. Why, would he pick you to cure. Don't you see how discrimnatory that is to all others who have terrible diseases? If this God did in fact cure you, then why would be so much of a bastard to not cure others as faithful as you? WHY? Because he didn't cure you.

waterfowl

HSC
Obviously you all want to argue, even though a forum is a medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, not a medium of argument.

So I will leave you all to argue.

God Bless.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Obviously it is impossible to have progressive discussion like this without a debate.
This thread definately was not set up for people to post up their beliefs and not be challenged...

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
A New Thread

ur_inner_child said:
Considering that the topic of the thread isn't exactly "Does God Exist" then I don't think we're both correct.
Well the first post in this thread was "how do christians explain the many billions of years that the earth existed before man."

To me that is talking about how Christians reconcile a belief in God, with the idea of dinosaurs. But here you go, a thread very specifically entitled:

Does God Exist?

Sophie777

GOD BLESS!!!! ahhh!! don't breach

Satan bless!!! How do you like that huh?!?!

Waterfowl, again you avoid revealing your illness. I will conclude as it is quite obvious that it does not exist. You are basing your religious beliefs on false realisations.

Comrade nathan

HSC
katie_tully said:
Argument for God other than Bible;
People need faith, and a stable being and all round ... dude of stuff a la God provides them this. Humans don't want to think that after we die there is nothing. Read my big post about Artistotle and the meaning of life. believing in God gives these people a gate way to a life after death, and people are willing to through away reason, and to believe and have faith in this, because it provides them an answer.
This is my main problem with religion. It nullifies the masses, why would anyone in their mind who believe in life after death want to change their society if problems arise.

You say people need god, they wouldnt if they had everything they need here in the real world. Religoin is just another drug for some people. This is why religion flurished so much. The ruling class of the feudal years promoted the modern religons of either Christanity or Islam, or in eastern countries the religions with multi gods. All religons were created on a the same grounds, live you life accordingly as to how these holy books are written and your next life will be not like this. Using religion as a tool of oppression they commited mass extrocites, yet the masses did not save themselves, why? Because they believed that they were already saved through "god".

There is a good quote by a anarchist of the 19 centuary i cant remember his name Bakunin maybe " if god was real it would be neccassary to abolish him". That statement concludes that even if god were true the oppression that comes with religion is just as bad as it is without the existance of god.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
applying some logical thinking... i think it's fairly possible that waterfowl is bullshitting about his sickness... he did not have an incurable sickness that was cured.

K

katie_tully

I'm not Christian and I didn't say I agreed with it, but it's why many of them follow a faith. Do you honestly think if these people had a grasp on reality they'd need reassurance of life after death by forgiveness by a superior being they have no proof exists?

Comrade nathan

HSC
katie_tully said:
I'm not Christian and I didn't say I agreed with it, but it's why many of them follow a faith. Do you honestly think if these people had a grasp on reality they'd need reassurance of life after death by forgiveness by a superior being they have no proof exists?
Can you re wright this i dont understand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)