• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Underachieving (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
I never thought this will happen to me....
I never really thought it will be possible....
I thought it was an incentive to prevent people getting nervous....
But pressure and the nerves really kills

I feel like crap after my first 4U test. the test was so easy but i did extraordinarily bad. I had practiced well, especially on questions harder than the ones in the test. I knew i was ready to do the hard questions or at least give them a good attempt.

But it was inevitable. I knew i will not think striaght. An unfamiliar question pops up. You panic. You haven't seen a question worded like this before. You try to draw diagrams and figure it out. You first diagram is unclear and you still don't manage to figure what going on. You panic further. You cross out the diagram and read it again. There is a hint. You try to use the hint but can't see the correlation as such. Thought starts running through your head. Thing like 'this is the first test and you don't want to fall behind'. 'This is the HSC, you can't fail'. 'You're going to lose this mark'. Your confidence plummets. The teacher announces there is two minutes left. You don't have much written down. A weight seems to on top of your shoulders. You feel you head increasing in temperature. You thoughs becomes clouded. This continues for the 2 minutes and you give up. Finally the test is over. You take a deep breath but realise what you had totally killed one of the questions.

Consequently, consulting with co-student you realise how easy the question was. You feel totally depressed but decide to let it go after a few hours. You hope for the best. You hope your nerves didn't affect your performance too much.

Then the day comes.
You test result comes back. The teacher walks up and places the test paper on your table. You scan through the page and realise that you obtained a 80% in your test. Some people aced it since it was only a one topic test. You feel totally down. You look through your paper and smiling lamenting the stupid question that you had gotten wrong. The marks allocated are accordingly given. Then you look for other areas where other marks are deducted. The first question was wrong because you forgot wrongly did the substitution. You graph got deducted a few marks because you drew the line going away from the asymptotes by accident and you forgot to circle the origin. For the conics question you derived the general equation for it instead of the specific equation, with the information require. You feel fully crap. Once you would have aspired to come top 3(and it will be possible), now you're ranked top 15.

There is a similar situation with 3U. Nerves! Nerves! Self-burdening pressure to do well! Getting shaky in exam and not thinking straight. Plummeting self confidence. A feeling of hopelessness. This kills.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
OK

my frist thought when i was reading (expectign you to have done very badly) was "well if he/she sucks at 4u, then he/she shoudl drop it"

but no, you got 80% boo-frickety-hoo! thats a GREAT mark, and even if it is not up to your standards, quit being melodramatic about it...its one test, it doesn't give you your total HSC result and its allready done, so move on now

arghhhh words cannot explain how angry i am

Wohzazz

HSC
no you don't understand, the average was almost 80% because it was THAT easy
and if i don't get like a 94+ for 4U i don't get the course i want. Because i'm not going to do any better in other subjects. If I don't know how to do the test, i would of accepted it gracefully. But if i do, and still get it wrong because of carelessness and nerves, i will always be resentful and depressed about it. Thus my situation of underachieving.
This makes me return to the idea of HSC being a game of 'survival of the MENTALLY FITTEST' which i never knew what it meant. Now i now that :Confidence drives you forwards. Pressure without success halts you progress

How can i ensure this doesn't happen again to my next maths tests. BTW maths use to be my best subject in my junoir high schools years, even yr 10 and 11

Last edited:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~*HSC 4 life*~
OK

my frist thought when i was reading (expectign you to have done very badly) was "well if he/she sucks at 4u, then he/she shoudl drop it"

but no, you got 80% boo-frickety-hoo! thats a GREAT mark, and even if it is not up to your standards, quit being melodramatic about it...its one test, it doesn't give you your total HSC result and its allready done, so move on now

arghhhh words cannot explain how angry i am
Some people have higher standards and aspirations. Here it's clear that rank counts, I mean, if I got 98% in a subject and I was ranked 80th I'd be heaps pissed lol...

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
lol i would love to see your expression if you got 15 % *recalls his own expression* you get over it. dont worry about it, do better in the next one

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
This makes me return to the idea of HSC being a game of 'survival of the MENTALLY FITTEST' which i never knew what it meant. Now i now that :Confidence drives you forwards. Pressure without success halts you progress
lol err .. wise words but i hate to break it to you, the hsc is a load of shit

Giant Lobster

HSC
the hsc can be nicely summed as a "game of the mentally fittest"
the people who come out top arent necessarily the best at their subjects, but those who can cope with workload and pressure; those who can overcome those fears of failure and losing out. If you want to win at this "game" you have to know how its played. Your weakness (as is mine) is apparently your fear of failure, rather than incompetence at 4u math.

Trust me, theres no worse a feeling than losing out due to these "trivial" things like the wrong mindset. Don't let people below you beat you because you have a bad mindset. Fix it. I know easy said than done, but try to lose the fear next time. Then whether you'll own math or not will actually depend on your competence. The way it should be. gl

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Stay with 4u for the year and calm yourself down, and if you can't get the marks that you want by the end of the year ... don't sit the 4u hsc exam. But by then, you probably have settled down and got used to what is expected of you.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I don't think you can call yourself an underachiever just yet, sorry. all you can really do is make sure you do better in your next assessments.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah, i stressed so much about not doing so well in the first assessments (it was a thread a while ago) that i didnt even realise how much time and energy i wasted in worrying when i could have been concentrating and focussing on the next one to do better...i realise now though so dont worry wohazz, u cant turn back time and the best thing to do is to make things btter from now on...whether u like it or not, its the only way to go...good luck

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
The way I relieved myself of pressure before the hsc was to move down my uac preference list and convince myself how nice it would be if I made it into that course ie. a "blessing in disguise"...

tragic eh?

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
no you don't understand, the average was almost 80% because it was THAT easy
and if i don't get like a 94+ for 4U i don't get the course i want. Because i'm not going to do any better in other subjects. If I don't know how to do the test, i would of accepted it gracefully. But if i do, and still get it wrong because of carelessness and nerves, i will always be resentful and depressed about it. Thus my situation of underachieving.

How can i ensure this doesn't happen again to my next maths tests. BTW maths use to be my best subject in my junoir high schools years, even yr 10 and 11
stop thinking you are underachieving

Wohzazz

HSC
probably u guys are right
i should forget about this, we must all move on
but it does detrimentally affect me the way the felling of being 'ripped off' is so profound, i can't help it
i suppose i'll try my best next time and think clear next time and try not to panic and become nervous
i keep telling myself to forget about this and saying thing like 'things happen for a reason', 'well maybe this may save me from bombing bigger assessments that count more in the future' -don't think it helps too much
so much for the game of HSC, it has become such a hard game to play
Originally posted by cyrax83
lol i would love to see your expression if you got 15 % *recalls his own expression* you get over it. dont worry about it, do better in the next one
i don't think i could get 15% even with the worse luck if i know myself, but if i did, i'll probably sit down, and reflect on my stupidity as a person. then i'll probably suffer from the after effects of worthlessness and detach myself from society. oh, don't mentioned it, it is inconcievable

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
i agre, you got 80% for your test, i dont know why you're complaining. thats bloody marvellous for ext 2 maths. who cares about everyone else. worry about yourself before worrying about others.
Don't say things like that. People have different expectations of themselves, and different goals. Wohzazz has probably always been very good at maths/worked very hard, been near the top, and has high expectations. This is NOT a bad thing. If he feels that he has gotten a mark below his expectations, then that is personal underachievement, and I'm sure he will work hard to improve on that. Like you said, worry about yourself. If you worry about everyone else, then you would think that 80% is a "blood marvellous" mark. If you worry about yourself, you may have a different opinion.

Wohzazz

HSC
Thanks Josie. It still really hurts and everytime i go in maths, i remember my failure. It's really painful because you hear people go "omg, you're a genius at maths, how could so-and-so beat you, even so-and-so beat you". This totally exacerbates the problem and i still feel bad after like a few days.

Sorry for saying all this stuff. I just need a place to express my pains because i don't think friends help too much. They go, 'ahh, don't worry, it's only 20%, just ace the half-yearlies and trails"...as if it's that easy to make it up i say

is a roflcopter
HSC
umm
what i meant was
if you keep thinking you are underachieving, if you keep thinking that you are normally better than this, you will fuck up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)