• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Umat and umat prep, (1 Viewer)

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
This might belong to the med forum but it kinda relates to year 12 people.
Like most people going for a medical related degree i have to do Umat. People keep telling me that i should do some type of umat preparation such as Medentry, but im still a bit sceptical whether is it helpful or not. Its basically around 500 bucks for a 2 day workshop and + some resources and yeh it really does sound like a rip. Is anyone here going to take this Umat prep thing and if so, why? because all my friends says i will be at a disadvantage if i dont take it.

simbim21

unswMed07
HSC
o yes, definitely take it. and Medentry isnt just a bunch of resources, rather pages and pages of methods to answer questions, what they're looking for, how to approach the whole exam, interview tips AND 10 full lenght practice papers(they give you a percentile in relation to other medentry students>

It really is excellent. The practice is so worth it because with a test like the UMAT not knowing what you're in for could jeapordise your performance. It's a big exam and so it really helps if you take the course and attend the two-day workshop.

For me, it was worth the money. I signed up with a bunch of friends so that we could get a discount, so u may want to try it out.

Doing the course also forces you to realise that the UMAT is as much work as a 1unit subject. And if you spend enough time on it, you may just get into med! (of course provided that your uai and interview is good as well)

well good luck and seriously do think about it and discuss it with friends and parents!
:D

ice ken

HSC
umat sux its an asian killa. thats y im doing pharm. pased umat but failed interview.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
I did a course last year.

You've gotta be REALLY motivated, do the work proper and keep focussed.

I didn't really care about it, was a waste of money for my parents as the second day session i pretty much sat on my ass and slept for the last couple of hours.

Being enrolled and attending the course and giving a half-arsed effort doesnt really guarantee a place in medicine or other UMAT related course.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Nah, I've researched a fair bit etc, and it's not worth it. I've got stacks (about 1000 pages) of UMAT stuff anyway...icarus...amepp...all on hardcopy.

kloudsurfer

HSC
yoakim said:
Nah, I've researched a fair bit etc, and it's not worth it. I've got stacks (about 1000 pages) of UMAT stuff anyway...icarus...amepp...all on hardcopy.
I think the issue is having suffiecient practice at UMAT style questions.

If you have that many resources, than I wouldnt bother doing a prep course either. However, if you are like me and dont have any friends and stuff to get the prep materials of, it is worth signing up.

Still think its a bit of a rip off though. Nevertheless, i am doing prep.

aussiechica7

HSC
i'm in principle opposed to how much prep courses cost but not to prep courses themselves.

THE UMAT IS AS IMPORTANT OR MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR UAI!!!! I cannot stress this enough. If you don't believe me check out any biomed class- generally high UAIs (friends of mine with 99+) but crap UMATs which meant they didn't get into medicine. On the other hand I have friends with high 80s UAIs who got into med (OK so they were rural, but even if they were urban they'd only need low 90s).

Also, the UMAT CAN BE TRAINED FOR!!! It is no wonder ACER says it can't be, they want to have a level playing field, but seriously, you can train for logical reasoning problems, empathy problems and spatial reasoning problems. The great thing about prep courses is just the sheer volume of questions. If you treat it like a 1u subject you'll soon be a pro :)

Please don't be naive. You wouldn't sit your end of year exams without doing any study beforehand. Please do not sit the UMAT without preparing before hand. The type of preparation is up to you (some people like to read newspaper clips and analyse them for Sec 1, go to a nursing home a few hours a week for Sec 2 and read mensa books for Sec 3) but IMO prep courses are the most comprehensive.

$500 seems a lot in one go but its worth it- I certainly spent more than that on my year 12 expenses (textbooks, uniforms, etc.)

steff167

HSC
hey im taking UMAT but i dont think ill be bothering with the courses. Its way to much money! for 2 days. UMAT is important but i dont feel the need to study as if it is a one unit subject, the energy wasted can be channelled into other subjects. UMAT is important, but all i have is just the acer booklets. Goodluck for it!

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
what is in the acer booklets? i heard its just half of a full exam.

jaaaaay

HSC
drynxz said:
what is in the acer booklets? i heard its just half of a full exam.
aren't they past exam papers?? or questions of some sort... to practice on?

Season

HSC
Medentry works if you're willing to put in the work, medentry supplies you with the work and you have to practise it.

If you're willing to work at it then you'll improve your rankings so much, and in my opinion you really are at a disadvantage if you don't do it.

kloudsurfer

HSC
jaaaaay said:
aren't they past exam papers?? or questions of some sort... to practice on?
Ive got them. There are two, they are half an exam each. They are basically past questions, except apparently they are the easier ones.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Engineering's the way to go, not your pathethic medicene...

jaaaaay

HSC
LottoX said:
Engineering is good for girls because of the massive amounts of males doing it. That's right ladies, join Engineering today.
lol... i wanted to do mechatronic/space engineering at usyd but my mum's fully against it... =.=
"it's a boy subject... blablabla..."

p.s.
my dad = doctor
my mum = doctor/gynecologist

...no pressure

Last edited:

ssglain

HSC
How much of a discount would you get if you sign up with a group of people?

I only know one other person who might want to sit the UMAT. Wouldn't it be a good idea if all the people in the forum wanting to go to Medentry can go as a group so we can all benefit from the savings?

jaaaaay

HSC
ssglain said:
How much of a discount would you get if you sign up with a group of people?

I only know one other person who might want to sit the UMAT. Wouldn't it be a good idea if all the people in the forum wanting to go to Medentry can go as a group so we can all benefit from the savings?
just start PMing people who've been asking around... if ur interested in f2f, i can guarantee u discount xD just PM me =]

mithril1337

HSC
OK i see and understand your points

BUT will you be able to get top marks in UMAT if you do these subjects:
Eng 2u Adv
Maths 2U Adv
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

HELP guys!!!!!

BoS __ MY AdvantagE___ over the others :p

mithril1337

HSC
Is it remotely possible for me
Who is doing
CHem
Physics
Bio
ENG ADV 2u
Maths 2U

To pass in UMAT please i need your guidance
I only have a few more days till cut-off of the entry of the UMAT seminar

TELL MEE PLEEASE!!!!

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
From what I gathered UMAT isn't exactly a knowledge test. It looks more at logic and skills in interpreting people, I guess.

Btw, people at my school told me that the UMAT is on the same day as the maths comp this year. Ha, what's with all the clashes? Last year the maths comp was on the same day as the chem quiz, lol. Then there's the NCSS/NMSS clash (I would've applied for NCSS otherwise, my friend came back telling me it was great fun!), UoW Discovery Days/AMO First Day clash...

No wonder life is so crammed :eek:

kloudsurfer

HSC
mithril1337 said:
OK i see and understand your points

BUT will you be able to get top marks in UMAT if you do these subjects:
Eng 2u Adv
Maths 2U Adv
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

HELP guys!!!!!

BoS __ MY AdvantagE___ over the others :p
Like airie said, the UMAT is an aptitude test. Knowledge has little bearing on it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)