• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The role of the bible (1 Viewer)

RocKetBoy

HSC
lol...the bible is like a textbook for me >.> not one which i pay much attention tho. =P

Otterhead

HSC
The bible, along with the koran and torah, is indirectly responsible for a large proportion of the unnecessary suffering in the world today.

It is nothing more than an outdated, poorly written relic of ages past, that should be confined to an intellectually and ethically poorer history, and regarded, along with the inquisitions and witch burnings, as a sad product of human society.

Despite being blatantly filled with numerous contradictions, fallacies and acts of genocide, infanticide, misogyny, it is somehow regarded as a moral guide for people.

I fail to see how this can be. Yes some of Jesus' teachings had some primitive ethical merit, but as a species we have advanced for beyond the need for such false and unwarranted bullshit.

Christians, prove me wrong.

E

Empyrean444

Agreed. The Bible is a good compendium of "fiction throughout ancient history".
As a fictitious work, let's see some of its other qualities:

Falsified axiomatic statements, meant to be somehow believed

Truisms

Outdated and contradictory morals (ie Abraham willing to kill his child - what a truly moral god)

Hypocrisy (ie believe my religion without question, but somehow know that all other religions are bad...)

The fact that it was written by different people - inconsistencies, etc, not to mention the fact that many of their prophets were probably mad or delusional (ie "visions" of the mind)

The Bible we have to day was selected and composed from a huge selection of books, by a dark aged Catholic Church which at the time was: corrupt; avaricious, concerned with temporal gain; hypocritical (ie war isn't right...except for the crusades obviously) and inherently evil (ie selling of indulgences, pardons, meddling with other countries' affairs/sovereignty). the list goes on. For a prime example of such corruption, see the acts of Pope Boniface XIII in relation to Dante.
If the Church was so bad, perhaps we can conclude something on the nature of the work.
Not to mention destroying other religions by making their gods not only false, but also demons in Christianity then ascribing them sins (eg Mammon (=greed, wealth), Belial, Moloch.

I fail to see how this can be the epitome of moral values

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
it's an old book with a few good things in it but otherwise lots of fairytales, and violent ones at that.

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
it teaches good values... i often refer to mine and read passages

but being an agnostic that is rather ironic considering i don't believe in a god
i don't recognise the validity of the bible as a comprehensively reliable historical text.. Many contradictions and flaws + it was put together very subjectively and has been translated subjectively throughout the years...
as well as other factors that render a god to me absurd

but for those that live by its word it promotes many positive values which is usually reflected in the christian i meet

aussie-boy

HSC
i think the purpose of religion is to give people a justification for being well behaved in society...

if you don't have a strong conscience and there isn't a well run justice system where you live, what's the point of being good? - its much more fun raping, murdering and pillaging than being a good citizen

the threat of going to hell and the reward of heaven for being good negates these primitive desires, and the bible provides evidentiary support for such religious teachings

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
aussie-boy said:
i think the purpose of religion is to give people a justification for being well behaved in society...

if you don't have a strong conscience and there isn't a well run justice system where you live, what's the point of being good? - its much more fun raping, murdering and pillaging than being a good citizen

the threat of going to hell and the reward of heaven for being good negates these primitive desires, and the bible provides evidentiary support for such religious teachings
it supports being good certainly... but u can still be good and not believe in heaven or hell or god

if you talk to a minister of a church, who will find that getting into heaven isnt as easy as being 'good'... you need to love and praise god and dedicate your life to god.
if you don't then u go to hell...
so basically if jesus claims are true, then there are gonna be a shitload of good people going to hell

i have already acknowledged the fact that if god exists, i am going to hell... doesnt mean i don't strive to live a life in which i am good

aussie-boy

HSC
reh said:
it supports being good certainly... but u can still be good and not believe in heaven or hell or god
and that is why religion is irrelevant today, because
-people are generally 'good' in a highly civilised society
-if they are 'bad' they have real world consequences (e.g. jail) to be feared

reh said:
if you talk to a minister of a church, who will find that getting into heaven isnt as easy as being 'good'... you need to love and praise god and dedicate your life to god.
if you don't then u go to hell...
this is where the denominations of christianity differ

protestantism emphasises the individual and his/her relationship with God... loving and praising directly etc (hence the rise of youth groups and such that encourage personal salvation without much regard for the wider community)

catholicism on the other hand emphasises collectivity over the individual; i.e. you can only show your love for God by practicing His teachings (=being good - through kindness, love, forgiveness etc)
Prayers and going to Church are of reduced importance

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
aussie-boy said:
catholicism on the other hand emphasises collectivity over the individual; i.e. you can only show your love for God by practicing His teachings (=being good - through kindness, love, forgiveness etc)
Prayers and going to Church are of reduced importance
i was only aware of the protestant attitude but good to know

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)