• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

subject i really wanna take up :( (1 Viewer)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
The subject i want to do

Macroeconomic Principles
Prerequisites
Admission to Bcom/bEc/BappFin/BeBus or UAI equivalent to these degrees or a GPA of 2.0 with at least 12cp; HSC Mathematics performance band 2 or extension 1 or extension 2, or corequisite of any unit in the range MATH123-MATH136

Okay... i didn't get into ANY of the above degrees but my UAI is 88.95 and the BeBus cut off is 81.3 .... right?

next section.... I only did General maths and I can't do MATH123 coz it clashes with my PSY104 lecture (and dont think i could handle MATH136 yet)

and i really want to take this subject ..... so if i do the Preparatory Course in Mathematics (Stream B)- pay $350 will I be able to meet the prerequisites of this course to be able to take it up??

what are my options?

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Basically they won't let you do Macro.
Pre-requisites are usually quite firm, especially for first years.

You can do MATH130 instead of MATH123.

Even if you do meet the maths pre-requisites the fact that you're not enrolled in one of those degrees, they wont let you enrol.

^___^
HSC
hmm..

for B technology(optoelectronic) i asked the dude not meeting a pre-requisities for the maths aprt(it requires 2u maths band6) and he replied that u need to take an extra course and complete it...

the time of the course might vary depending on the situation and it can last a yr long

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
To be honest, the Maths in Micro is nothing! It's the *logic* which is required... and reading a big and heavy textbook. I didn't like reading it, so I stopped after a Chapter. It's a nice lookin' textbook. I'm selling mine... I just need to confirm my asking price. :p (So Macro shouldn't be that much different.)

Last edited:

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Originally posted by Majesty

Even if you do meet the maths pre-requisites the fact that you're not enrolled in one of those degrees, they wont let you enrol. [/B]
yeahh but it says.... enrolled into one of these degrees OR achieve a UAI equivalent to these degrees.... so i meet that prerequisite.... because i got 88.95 and the cut off for BeBus was 81.3

it's jsut the maths pre-requisite that i'm not sure I'll meet?

i know i'll kill this course macro-economics was my strong point in economics in da HSC ...... I WANNA DO IT!! :(

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Lets just say that Economics for the HSC and for University are noticeably different in terms of style and expectations. You'll find that at uni, it's much more technical - as in it will require more Mathematics, which wasn't required for the HSC - and it's well structured.

I reckon a bridging course would be best if you really wanted to do macroeconomics (or micro, for that matter). Because you wouldn't want to spend a whole semester doing Math130.

L1onHeart

just to let you all know Econ 201 is more than twice difficult as Macroeconomics in 100 level. I put myself in trouble by taking Econ 200 and 201 in summer course -.-'

^___^
HSC
if i take ECON110

and i know shit bout business/eco since i did nothing like that in the hsc

is it a big big disadvantage?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
nope i don't rekon you do.... it's not a BIG disadvantage.... i rekon anyone could pick up on eco... it's not that bad

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
economics...... it sounds hard but i found general maths harder lol
i heard first year economics is abit like HSC eco (well dats what my eco teacher sed)

i'll brainstorm for you (words i think of when i think economics)
how exchange rates work, policies govt use to manage the economy lol dats all i can think of right now

L1onHeart

I don't think most of the 100 level subjects in EFS division are difficult provided that you put effort in your study.At least, pass or credit are guaranteed. If you want to get HD it is possible too.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
its the thingy mah jigg....

u know.... the whole sha bang u see on the news n crap...0.77 US dollar, Yen, Euro blah blah.. and how much we can exchange our australian dollar for Euro/U.S etc.. all dat crap and how that all comes about

^___^
HSC
oh that

isn't that determined by how "strong" the currency is in comparison to ther other..and most likely how strong it is compared to the US??

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yeahh it's determined by the demand for australian dollars:
*tourism
*capital inflow/outflow
*amount of AUD in the forex market

err crap der was like 4 things.... dats pretty much all i can remember lol

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lol well... i doubt my little explanation is gunna make u get ANY of it especially with the hard core terminology and jargon i've used i.e sha bang, stuff, crap hehehe ..... just do it.... you'll love it :)

I WANNA DO IT!! :(

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, I'll be doing ECON110 in semester 1, so *wave* if you see me (or know who I am ;):p).

I did ECON111 in semester two, last year. And whether you've done Economics for the HSC or not, doesn't really matter. The three Moderators here at Macq forum did Economics for the HSC and we all ended up with Ds. On the other hand, I have many friends who hadn't done Economics for the HSC and they managed HDs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)