• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

State Rank (1 Viewer)

tambam

HSC
At the end of the day, internal marks ARE moderated depending on your school, and the higher ranking your school, the more likely your marks will be moderated in your favour.

And a good cohort within a particular subject WILL make it easier to get a state ranking.
Good for you if you have natural ability, but if you look at the state ranks lists, its fairly obvious that in some subjects a lot of them are from the same school.

PS. @khfreakau, yep our school is definitely going to own pe! & michaeljennings can come first :)
PPS. BoardofStudies is definitely not fair, just looking at subject scaling is evidence of that. But school mark scaling is basically the same thing, but instead of scaling subjects they scale schools.

michaeljennings

HSC
My friend from northmead knew a guy who did some random language like lithnuanian or something european and he didnt put much effort in at school cos he was the only one doing it and then he went reasonably well at the HSC and got a state rank lol

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
hmm yeah, but I think if I was coming first at some dud school, I would have tried harder for external... since at baulko, there is less pressure to gun external, so i think results would be similar.
but all in all, it's probably easier to state rank at a selective school since you have a safety net.

anne1010

HSC
This happened to my friend last year.
She was 2nd in this subject overall, but on the day of the HSC, the girl who came first all year round was 0.5 marks below her( external mark). In the end, my friend who came 2nd overall got a state rank, but the girl who came 1st all year round didn't end up getting a state rank.
see howd that work. what was the internal difference between your friend and the girl that came first? its gotta be >0.5?

anne1010

HSC
Not really, the girl actually came 1st all year round, whereas my friend who got the state rank dropped to 6th in one assessment, but in the trials, she managed to pull herself up to become 1st, so she was overally ranked 2nd.
My friend got 94.5 in her externals, whereas the girl who came first all year round got 94. Ironically, the one who came first all year round missed out on a state ranking just 0.5 marks below my friend.
thats like major burn haha. kinda feel sorry for her.

anne1010

HSC
But both of them are good friends so yeah..XD
Although that girl didn't get a state rank, but she was dux of the school....so at least there's something to compensate for her loss. XD
haha wow well done to both of them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)