• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

State Rank (2 Viewers)

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
Go to the ATAR & HSC Marks (Guidance and Counsel) Section and read the threads that ask for the ATAR estimation....After reading them you will realise a similarity! Not only do people post their ranks...THEY ALSO POST THEIR SCHOOL RANK!

Now why would people bother posting their school rank i wonder....
ppl put their skool rnk bcuz it gives us a perspective from which we can give an accurate estimate. what enoilgam is saying is everyone has equal opportunity to succeed in every skool, but obviously some schools will just have smarter students who perform better. BUT if you come first at a skool ranked 18952342 you have the same chance of coming 1st in the state as someone at james ruse as long as you work hard and do well in your hsc exam.

michaeljennings

HSC
So you do admit going to a higher ranked school is better in general? Why else would people want to go to selective schools..trust me before last year when the cohort stuffed around and ruined our rank my school was 2nd (now we are 4th). We werent second because of the teachers we have... So saying people want to go to selective schools just because the teachers are better is not a valid conclusion. This guy came to my school in yr 11 from a school that isnt even in the top 200 said his teachers at his old school were a million times better than the teachers at my school

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
So you do admit going to a higher ranked school is better in general? Why else would people want to go to selective schools..trust me before last year when the cohort stuffed around and ruined our rank my school was 2nd (now we are 4th). We werent second because of the teachers we have... So saying people want to go to selective schools just because the teachers are better is not a valid conclusion. This guy came to my school in yr 11 from a school that isnt even in the top 200 said his teachers at his old school were a million times better than the teachers at my school
going to a high ranked skool is better bcuz of the competition. but if you hav a natural drive to succeed you can do well at any skool.

michaeljennings

HSC
School rank does not affect you if you're coming first.
Yes this is true obviously. You can be first a subject at a school ranked 100000000000 and still get a state rank if you do well at your externals

ppl put their skool rnk bcuz it gives us a perspective from which we can give an accurate estimate. what enoilgam is saying is everyone has equal opportunity to succeed in every skool, but obviously some schools will just have smarter students who perform better. BUT if you come first at a skool ranked 18952342 you have the same chance of coming 1st in the state as someone at james ruse as long as you work hard and do well in your hsc exam.
I agree with this as well and now this discussion is going around in a circle because i dont think we are arguing the same thing. I was arguing going to a higher ranked school is better in general. And you are arguing that being first in a lowly ranked school doesnt disadvantage you from getting a state rank. We are both correct but arguing with each other for some reason.

enoilgam

HSC
I knew someone in the year ahead at me in my school who came 3rd in 2 unit maths at my school, and he was complaining that he got the same internal mark as a guy who came 55th in maths in a selective school (it was out near kellyville this school, but it wasnt baulkam hills). Like I explained to him, would he be coming 5th if he were at this selective school. The answer is most probably not. He would have been probably come around 50th-60th. The BOS is not going to disadvantage people because they go to a bad ranking school. I went to a lowly ranking school and if anything, my internal marks were around the same as my external marks, which indicates to me that it really doesnt have an impact

michaeljennings

HSC
going to a high ranked skool is better bcuz of the competition. but if you hav a natural drive to succeed you can do well at any skool.
Yeah true but it depends on who you are. Are you someone who loves competition or are you someone who just feels intimidated and pressured to keep up with the nerds of your school and end up cracking

michaeljennings

HSC
I knew someone in the year ahead at me in my school who came 3rd in 2 unit maths at my school, and he was complaining that he got the same internal mark as a guy who came 55th in maths in a selective school (it was out near kellyville this school, but it wasnt baulkam hills). Like I explained to him, would he be coming 5th if he were at this selective school. The answer is most probably not. He would have been probably come around 50th-60th. The BOS is not going to disadvantage people because they go to a bad ranking school. I went to a lowly ranking school and if anything, my internal marks were around the same as my external marks, which indicates to me that it really doesnt have an impact
Doesnt that just indicate your internal exams had the same level of difficulty as the HSC (externals)?

enoilgam

HSC
No, but it indicates that our internal performance equalled our external performance, which shows that we werent "scaled down" for our internal marks because of our poor school ranking. Remember, your external mark does not change

khfreakau

HSC
The advantage of going to a good school is the students, not the teachers. Not only is the mindset better, but they can support you if you do badly. The main advantage of going to a good school than a worse one is that you don't have to completely GUN the external exam to do well; others in your cohort will "pull you up".

For example, if destinyliang didn't go to baulko, he actually wouldn't have state ranked eco. Not to take anything away from him, but because of the fact that the guy who came first had an external/internal of 99, destiny's internal mark was dragged up higher than what it would have been had he gone to a lower ranking school, where he would have likely been ranked 1st and had the same external/internal. If this had happened, he wouldn't have state ranked, because his external was two marks lower than his external, and wasn't high enough for a state rank. State ranking with different external/internal marks is uncommon, and will only occur at schools which have more than one person who can state rank.

In other words;
the ADVANTAGE of going to a good school and being ranked average is that you don't have to carry yourself, you can rely on others to help bring up your internal assessment marks
the ADVANTAGE of going to a not-as-good school and being ranked high is that you determine your own atar. In this sense, it may actually be EASIER to state rank at a lower school since it's actually easier to be first. However, this of course doesn't mean it's any easier to get the required marks to state rank.

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
The main advantage of going to a good school than a worse one is that you don't have to completely GUN the external exam to do well; others in your cohort will "pull you up".

For example, if destinyliang didn't go to baulko, he actually wouldn't have state ranked eco. Not to take anything away from him, but because of the fact that the guy who came first had an external/internal of 99, destiny's internal mark was dragged up higher than what it would have been had he gone to a lower ranking school, where he would have likely been ranked 1st. State ranking with different external/internal marks is uncommon, and will only occur at schools which have more than one person who can state rank.

In other words;
the ADVANTAGE of going to a good school and being ranked average is that you don't have to carry yourself, you can rely on others to help bring up your internal assessment marks
the ADVANTAGE of going to a not-as-good school and being ranked high is that you determine your own atar. In this sense, it may actually be EASIER to state rank at a lower school since it's actually easier to be first. However, this of course doesn't mean it's any easier to get the required marks to state rank.
This is what me and tambam the one with the cute bunny rabbit for an avatar were trying to argue

enoilgam

HSC
And you can get it, if you have natural apptitude, strong motivation and work ethic, which is what I'm trying to say. A student with those qualities, I believe will succeed anywhere.

michaeljennings

HSC
And you can get it, if you have natural apptitude, strong motivation and work ethic, which is what I'm trying to say. A student with those qualities, I believe will succeed anywhere.
I have none of those qualities in terms of PDHPE haha i ceebs studying RICER regime. khfreakau I do not know who you are but you deserve a rep for being such a dilligent young man

Matrob

HSC
I reakon with your rankings you could probably get 94-95. Im pretty sure you will get at least 90
Thanks, I sincerely hope so.
Trials in a weeks time.... Just gotta get through them with ranks in tact.

khfreakau

HSC
I sometimes wonder what would happen if some dude who was the only one in his course at his school decided to cbf every assessment and get <50% and then gun the hsc and get a state rank, that would be so lol.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
I sometimes wonder what would happen if some dude who was the only one in his course at his school decided to cbf every assessment and get <50% and then gun the hsc and get a state rank, that would be so lol.
i wuld luv to be in that position with no one else at skool to compete with and just the hsc to study for

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)