• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I or shouldnt I ?????? little help here (1 Viewer)

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
im in year 10 at the moment, and made it into hurstone agriculture....i go to fairfield pats nad its ranked like 134 in the state while hurlstone is 27.....so should i go...like its way futher away from my house and i have to leave all my friends....what would u do in my position???

P

pLuvia

Hmm, you can always do well in fairfield pats, but if you go to hurlstone you have an even greater chance. If your friends are like bludgers etc, I suggest you go, unless they are really close but you can always stay in touch with them.

Even if it is far, the result is worth it.

Go for it mate :) Good Luck~!

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
drynxz said:
im in year 10 at the moment, and made it into hurstone agriculture....i go to fairfield pats nad its ranked like 134 in the state while hurlstone is 27.....so should i go...like its way futher away from my house and i have to leave all my friends....what would u do in my position???
Up to you. There are pros and cons with going to a selective school.
The distance-how much further? If it's worth the sacrifice of time for a better school, i'd go for it if it isn't much more. I know kids who travel from as far as or even beyond campbelltown and hornsby to come to our school thats in the st gorge area. Thats over an hour away. There's only 2 years left for you anyway.

Coming to a new school espicially in year 11 is a big thing. You'll find it hard to adjust yourself to your new environment socially and academically.
Leaving friends? Im sure you'll keep in touch with them in year 11 and beyond. You will find friends in a new school.

I don't know much about hurlstone but i know it's quite a smart school.(it's selective)

P

pLuvia

If its ranked 27 then it should be really good, my cousins goes there and he says its good, so go for it

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Recognising that the quality of school need not determine your success...

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
depends what course u wanna do..

if u only need 90, u can easily achieve that at ur current school

but if u want >95-98ish, hurlstone might give u that extra push

=]

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
There are pros...
*Academically competitive environment.. at a selective school, there are less bludgers and much less mucking around. Everybody is there to help everybody. Everyone around you is smart, hard-working and loves learning, so you'll probably end up that way too because you are surrounded by them. The competition is really fierce too.
*Everyone is generally friendlier and there's a lot less bullying.
*Harder subjects such as Physics, EX1 and EX2 and MX1 and MX2 are offered because many students choose them.

I dont know much about hurlstone but i know its a smart school.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
yep thx a bundle guys...yeh my friends are all like smart and stuff but are not very dedicated....pats is just like 2 mins away from my house (drive) while hurlstone is 35 mins....i cant wake up that early in the morning....plus i have to do agriculture 2 units

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
why the hell do they make some selective schools agricultural??? it makes no sense...

Last edited:
HSC
one day farmers will invade CEO buildings!

i would go the other school, have friends from 2 sets of schools! that'd kick ass

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
drynxz said:
heh, i'd pick hurlstone but i might be alittle bias :p

anyway ag's not too bad if you do 12 units in your hsc year. Apparently it's a lot like biology. A lot of the year 11 newbies treat ag as the free subject, where you can (sort of) muck around and make friends.

in summation, i highly recommend you choose hurlstone (dispite their questionable english department) :)

Edit: if you want to know more about hurlstone feel free to Private Message me and ask.

Abbeygale

HSC
I switched from a normal school (I don't know where it's ranked, as most lists floating around don't include it) to a selective school (Merewether High, somewhere around #23) at the beginning of year twelve. If I had my time over I would have switched in year 11, because there were a few little things I missed out on (for example, I can't find anyone willing to vouch for my yr 11 extracurricular activities in my reference), but I've never regretted the switch itself.
Distance was a similar concern (I went from living in the same street as my school to a 45 minute bus trip), but I think it's outweighed by the benefits- selective schools can be more motivating and prevent complacency, because the competition is higher. The resources can be better. The exchange of ideas and discussions in class are generally more useful.
I would definitely recommend doing it. And if you start year 11 there and hate it, why not just switch back later?

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
yeh i know agricultures not that bad, but that totals up to thirteen units....im doing eco (2) , maths 3 unit, physics, engineering studies, english 2u and agriculture (2)...so thats 13 units total..meaning i have to do maths offline (in the morning)...if i stay in pats i have to do studies of religion...

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
haha engineering studies. this year we had a total of 1 person doing engineering.

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
ohh really!! man thats crap....and the assisstance principle this year is bloody serious...forgot his name

mishka

HSC
N/A
if you're happy where you are and you want to stay, stay. Year 11 and 12 is a good time to have some friends around and if you go to the new school you will have to make new ones.

The reason I would go is because it is a good school and produces some good results. If you're willing to sacrifice your friends for that, do it.

If it were me, I would be really scared to start at a new school so late in the game. Good luck with it though, and remember that it's an achievement getting an offer for Hurlstone for year 11 entry. Supposedly it's really competitive.

pRiNCesS..!!

HSC
i changed schools for year 11..because i wanted to get better marks i went to a better school, and it really was better it wasnt just because it was private, i hated it, changed again in year 12 and i do like it..but my marks have got worse if anything..so stay wherever you are happy, i guess you wouldnt know until you change hey..put it this way u go to this otha school during year eleven..if you dont like it change bak..year eleven doesnt matter anyways so its a good time to make ur final decision..

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
i dont think my school or hurlstone accepts, year 12 applications....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)