• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Private Schools (1 Viewer)

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
not in every case...i went to a private school and there were alot of families like mine that worked hard so their kids could attend...dont get my wrong im not saying they are better or 'elite' but this view that we were 'snobs' in my town used to drive me crazy....

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
moose87 said:
not in every case...i went to a private school and there were alot of families like mine that worked hard so their kids could attend...dont get my wrong im not saying they are better or 'elite' but this view that we were 'snobs' in my town used to drive me crazy....
Agreed. I go to a private school as did both my brothers but my brothers went to a public primary school and I attended a private school with lower fees for primary school. However both my parents work extremely hard and long hours for our education. We're no better then most families. Alot of my friends who go to public schools, their parents earn the same or more but they choose to spend it on other things such as holidays or cars. My parents went without alot to send me and my brothers to our schools.

This is not to say no one at private schools are loaded. Quite a few are. But there are also kids who are there on scholarships who couldnt afford to send their kid there otherwise. I have a friend who although they were given a basically full scholarship almost did not attend because of the price of the uniform.

There are all types at a private school just like a public, however at a private school the majority have at least some money and quite a few are 'loaded'.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
i went to a private skool and yes we are apparently loaded by other ppls standards.

but we went to that skool cos my parents wanted us in a christian skool. it wasnt a snobby thing or watever, and u actually only hav 2 pay the (loads of) fees for the 1st 3 kids there. other kids are free. we hav 5 kids so ppl sed we wer so spoilt havin us all there..... but hey, pete and suey were free

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Some are loaded, like with the older ones when people finish and get a job that pays big bucks they often make donations to the school... so some have like swimming pools and shit. But with a lot of private schools, a lot of the money goes on maintenance and stuff.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Man I would kill for ANY car at all, we haven't had one in like nine years... :( It's true though some ppl - even at my school - talk about how their parents were gonna buy them a particular type of car but they wanted a better one... some people just have too much money for their own good. Come to think of it, some people have too much money for MY own good! :p

jebbie

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Some are very loaded, some are very poor.

Some people get brand new mercs as their first cars.... some don't even get a car...
Heh, and some got their grandpas old dodgy car when he died...

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
i go to a private school but were not loaded. my parents work like dogs to give me the education that they want and think is best for me. <3 :)

but tehre are some muchos rich people at our school like any private school.

jebbie

HSC
I thought you said nachos not muchos. Very random.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I go to a private school. I pay fees of $3000 a year and the school really attempts to accomodate those who can't pay fees (fees for that term are waived if you can't afford it) or have a disability (lifts were just installed for wheel-chair access for the benefit of a single student).

The school's not "rich", but it was designed to be the original location of Riverview, so it certainly started out well and that's kept it going, I guess.

Not every private school is full of and run by rich snobs.

That said, it did just throw $3 million at a new perfoming arts building, which irked me. It should have been spent on the sciences instead. :p

Last edited:

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
don't forget the people at private schools with scholarships...
most of the good ones in Cranbrook are there with scholarships.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I go to a private school. I pay fees of $3000 a year and the school really attempts to accomodate those who can't pay fees (fees for that term are waived if you can't afford it) or have a disability (lifts were just installed for wheel-chair access for the benefit of a single student).

The school's not "rich", but it was designed to be the original location of Riverview, so it certainly started out well and that's kept it going, I guess.

Not every private school is full of and run by rich snobs.

That said, it did just throw $3 million at a new perfoming arts building, which irked me. It should have been spent on the sciences instead. :p
Our school one upped yours. With our influx of funds (from the sale of public property and whatnot) we built a new "performing arts facility" which only consisted of two rehearsal rooms topped by an enormous staff room along with another high quality admin block at the other end of the school. We also got a lift which breaks down if you even jolt it slightly.... Don't get me wrong, it's cool that the teachers have nice staffrooms but meanwhile we have a school that desperately needs refurbishing and sound proofing (we're basically under a flight path). gah.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i was about to go to sydney boys high, but then this private school offered me a scholarship so i went there. In the school there were a number of poor families, it was sad to see those kids fucking around at school too.

\'OrribleCabbage

Mmmm.... Cabbagy...
HSC
I attended a public high school in years 7 & 8, and now attend a private school. At both there are those who are wealthy and those who are not. There may be a few more "loaded" people in the private schools but that is not to say that all of them are.

I recall many students at my public school who could have afforded to go to a private one but didn't because they didn't want a religious education or they wanted to support the public school system. There is a mixture at all schools, and you cannot make mass generalisations.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
My primary school was in Balmain (read: Yuppieville) so there were kids there who always had the most expensive gear and lived in mansions on the waterfront. Even in primary school they were talking about what kinda cars their rich parents were going to buy them when they were older, and stuff like that... kind of like high school actually :)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
KFunk said:
Our school one upped yours. With our influx of funds (from the sale of public property and whatnot) we built a new "performing arts facility" which only consisted of two rehearsal rooms topped by an enormous staff room along with another high quality admin block at the other end of the school. We also got a lift which breaks down if you even jolt it slightly.... Don't get me wrong, it's cool that the teachers have nice staffrooms but meanwhile we have a school that desperately needs refurbishing and sound proofing (we're basically under a flight path). gah.
haha, good old fort street.

how much does it shit you that the staffroom has aircon yet our english room does not, despite being across the hall?

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
We have one section of one corridor that is heavily air conditioned, and the rest of the corridor isn't. Go figure

F

Fruitcake05

I don't understand why some people pay $15000 a year to go to a private school............In the end it all comes down to what you put it in.......If you have the moeny why not spend it on tutors and books?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)