• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Planning on buildiing a new computer? (1 Viewer)

Mithoric

HSC
Ok if any of you are planning on building a beast of a game machine (like me!) I just thought I should tell you people to wait.
There is a lot of good technology coming out between now and December which is good for those wanting a cheap desktop and those wanting a beast.

PCI Express will replace PCI and AGP and is capable of much higher bus speeds. This thing will really define how upgradable your system will be, they aren't planning to hang onto AGP much so in the next 2 years at lesat you should get a PCIe based motherboard.

Gen 2 SATA is due out pretty soon, it is faster than the current SATA which sits at 1.5gbps. On gen 2 you should get 3gbps. The good thing is you can use your current drives and cables.

LCD gaming monitors are fast becoming a target for some of the best manufacturers. Samsung already has 12ms panels and I predict this will fall again by christmas making them a really viable option for gamers! Let's hope <= 10ms!

And the new socket processors will be replacing the current 754 ones we have today.

It's shaping up the be an excellent time to buy no matter who you are, all this new technology will push the good stuff down in value making a decent computer really affordable.

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
I've already ordered my parts.. I can't wait any longer. Doom 3 and Half Life 2 in less than a month, my holidays are now and I need to LAN. :)

PCI-Express.. well what can I say, that's one thing I would of loved to wait for but hey. Nvidia will obviously have the PCI-E 6800 Ultras out in a few months.. but it will be heavily expensive. I know Alienware in the US has implemented dual 6800 Ultras at the moment.. with a price tag of a typical system at US$5,000+ lol.

Gen 2 SATA; one of the more minor things for me.

LCD gaming monitors will still be out of my financial league anyway.

I doubt the 939 socket chips will go down too much by Christmas. Plus I don't intend to upgrade my CPU again for another 2 years, and by then I would buy a new mobo anyway, so the 754 socket dilemma won't bother me. Also, due to this the missing out of the PCI-E won't bother me (since I'll be buying a new mobo in the next upgrade anyway.. aswell as a new video card too probably).

Another reason why I would of wanted to wait though: The new nForce4 mobos this time are coming with SoundStorm. I could of saved a fortune there by not buying an Audigy instead.

Also I would of loved to wait for the Nvidia 6800 Ultra Extreme (but I'm happy with the 6800 Ultra purchase).

.. there are like a million reasons to wait :p

Last edited:

asha_ramirez

HSC
I'm envious! I want a new machine. Mine is so bad that it freezes if there is a flash bang in CS... ahh so crap!

Mithoric

HSC
Oh yeah nForce 4, how'd I forget that :p ... That SLI thing is stupid, I hope nVidia fall flat on their face, .. ATI FOREVER!! :p

Those however are the reasons I am waiting until December. I'm coming to uni with a brand new system, hope people organise LANs as much up there as they do down here... .. By up I mean down ;) ...

Mithoric

HSC
Damnit, it's not fair ..I support ATI because they support me (I'm a registered developer) ... nVidia snobbed me and now they are being sooo damn tempting with that stupid SLI thing... It's driving me nuts!

I didn't know that they were infact going ahead with it, because of the need for an extra PCIe 16x port ... but I whent and had a read and found that not only is sound storm coming back as I knew but they are going to have 2 slots ... And I mean, why get a 2 slot board if you don't go SLI? Looks like I'll have to go nVidia.

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
the problem with getting a new computer is that there is never a good time, because you think, well theres even better ones coming out soon, but this is a continual process.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Mithoric
Ok if any of you are planning on building a beast of a game machine (like me!) I just thought I should tell you people to wait.
There is a lot of good technology coming out between now and December which is good for those wanting a cheap desktop and those wanting a beast.

PCI Express will replace PCI and AGP and is capable of much higher bus speeds. This thing will really define how upgradable your system will be, they aren't planning to hang onto AGP much so in the next 2 years at lesat you should get a PCIe based motherboard.

Gen 2 SATA is due out pretty soon, it is faster than the current SATA which sits at 1.5gbps. On gen 2 you should get 3gbps. The good thing is you can use your current drives and cables.

LCD gaming monitors are fast becoming a target for some of the best manufacturers. Samsung already has 12ms panels and I predict this will fall again by christmas making them a really viable option for gamers! Let's hope <= 10ms!

And the new socket processors will be replacing the current 754 ones we have today.

It's shaping up the be an excellent time to buy no matter who you are, all this new technology will push the good stuff down in value making a decent computer really affordable.
I you want to wait for that you will have to wait around 1 year....

AND everything will be really expensive

i would rather just run two hardrives in raid 0, rather than SATA2 (which is a long way off)

i got a 16ms benq lcd and it runs games and movies fine

i suppose if you got the money it is worth waiting the new intel and amd CPUs/chipsets. Since they will be realeased in a few months in australia.
excpecially the new intel chipset, so many features.

btw, pci express for AMD is still a way off so i think adoption by manufacturers will be slow. pci isn't dead yet, 133mb/s is more than good enough for modem, sound card, 100/10 network, which is what most ppl have.

unless you want to edit movies and stuff like that, pci is fine.

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Mithoric
Those however are the reasons I am waiting until December. I'm coming to uni with a brand new system, hope people organise LANs as much up there as they do down here... .. By up I mean down ;) ...
Mate, come to Sydney and I'll LAN with ya. :p

I'll play you on your own RTS hahaha.. that would be interesting.

sHin

Originally posted by mr_speedy
the problem with getting a new computer is that there is never a good time, because you think, well theres even better ones coming out soon, but this is a continual process.
It would be like this in most cases, BUT I'd say it's different this time. A whole heap of changes will be happening over the next year or so.. some of the biggest changes in the last 10+ years of computer hardware.

e.g. BTX form factors

Mithoric

HSC
>> would rather just run two hardrives in raid 0, rather than SATA2 (which is a long way off)<< Not according to the developer website I was reading, it is due out Q4 this year.

Mithoric

HSC
>> btw, pci express for AMD is still a way off so i think adoption by manufacturers will be slow. pci isn't dead yet, 133mb/s is more than good enough for modem, sound card, 100/10 network, which is what most ppl have. <<

What about nVidia nForce 4 based boards? They are supposed to be coming out this year as well! ... This is very confusing ... I'm going to look up the road maps..

sunny

meh.
HSC
Theres always better things 'around the corner' - you can always wait till that next month before you buy that newer faster graphics card.

and you'll never end up buying it.

fatmuscle

HSC
for Aldi, it's pretty damn good!

havne't read the specs, but i've seen others.

Mithoric

HSC
The stuff that I had suggested are major things though. Waiting until PCIe comes out is really something that everyone who cares about playing games and such should be waiting for. A faster graphics card will always be around the corner, but if you buy before PCIe is out you will not be able to even look around that corner when it comes let alone get round it. I admit that the new socket processors and SATA don't matter as much as that but they are coming at about the same time so they are just bonuses of waiting for PCIe. But of course anyone who cares about access times will benefit from SATA 2..

Besides you can't make that argument about those 2 things because they aren't just a faster component that will work on current technology they are the new technology for those faster things to work on.

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
if u keep waiting for every new thing.. will u ever get a computer? :s
i need one.. under $2000 mainly multitasking, few games.

any suggestions?
i like the aldi one.. but im afraid that they'll be sold out if i want one

Last edited:

Mithoric

HSC
I've seen those aldi ones before, and the specs are usually pretty impressive considering it's a supermarket :) ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)