• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Planning on buildiing a new computer? (1 Viewer)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Im gonna buy one for my Uncle next week, i might even buy one for myself if building one myself will end up costing the same.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Mithoric said:
The stuff that I had suggested are major things though. Waiting until PCIe comes out is really something that everyone who cares about playing games and such should be waiting for. A faster graphics card will always be around the corner, but if you buy before PCIe is out you will not be able to even look around that corner when it comes let alone get round it. I admit that the new socket processors and SATA don't matter as much as that but they are coming at about the same time so they are just bonuses of waiting for PCIe. But of course anyone who cares about access times will benefit from SATA 2..

Besides you can't make that argument about those 2 things because they aren't just a faster component that will work on current technology they are the new technology for those faster things to work on.
I know what you mean, but its a fact that even with people waiting its still going to take a significant amount of time for the products to reach mainstream and for prices to be reasonable. Look at ISA slots that have only been phased out several years ago. Even with the introduction of PCIe, PCI will still be around and kicking. Chances are, the old PCI would offer slightly more value for mainstream users.

And so the cycle continues....people wait and wait and wait...

...and wait.

Mithoric

HSC
Yeah PCI will be around but I'm just saying that for those people who do like to splurge every few years don't buy until it's out because you will be kicking yourself. And there is no doubt that the 2 new graphics card releases and imposing PCIe variants have already started to push prices down, I scored a Radeon 9600 Pro at the computer fair yesterday for only $110, normally it would have been about $180 at the fair and about $200 in retail stores!

PCIe motherboards will come with AGP to PCIe adaptors as well, another reason to wait. You won't have to spend a packet on a PCIe graphics card and you will be future proof.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Bah, sif wait for new stuff.. just build the damn computer with what you have at hand. (or just go buy some nice cheap stuffs for the job) In the long run you just keep updating and upgrading anyway.

Mithoric

HSC
eviltama said:
Bah, sif wait for new stuff.. just build the damn computer with what you have at hand. (or just go buy some nice cheap stuffs for the job) In the long run you just keep updating and upgrading anyway.
Well my point is that you will have to do some major upgrades if you don't wait. No sense buying now if you have aspirations of upgrading components to something decent next year.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Dammit, all the parts to my new rig has arrived but the video card is still on 'no firm ETA'.
Great. Q#%#$%$#%.

Collin

HSC
N/A
6800 Ultra. It was due to arrive like LAST week, now it's on 'no firm ETA'.... I BET it's gonna get here.. like on the first day of semester too or something.. Hahah.. HAHAHA :chainsaw:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Changed my mind, X800XT, soft modded to PE speeds. :D

It's going onto the couriers now, should get it soon or tomorrow.. YAY.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Well the new rig is set up.
Athlon 64 3200+
Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition
1GB Corsair TwinX
290GB (250 SATA + 40 IDE)

3DMark01SE around 19,000 (which is actually pretty bad for what I have, but I haven't optimised much, and I need to reformat).
3DMark03 around 11,500.. will probably go up to 12,500 after a HD format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)