• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Money/Prestige or PASSION? Uni Course Selection! (2 Viewers)

Nupil

HSC
N/A
What the hell do you do if you don't know where your passion lies? Or if you've even developed a passion yet?

What if you know what you've always been capable at doing - and even in some cases been very good at doing without trying? Isn't this a reason to take the next natural progession and study it at University when this concept of passion has never even existed for you?

You all speak about passion as if every single person has passion and knows what they're passionate about ... I've only been around this place for 18 years and feel about as passionate as a rock!

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Nupil
What the hell do you do if you don't know where your passion lies? Or if you've even developed a passion yet?

What if you know what you've always been capable at doing - and even in some cases been very good at doing without trying? Isn't this a reason to take the next natural progession and study it at University when this concept of passion has never even existed for you?

You all speak about passion as if every single person has passion and knows what they're passionate about ... I've only been around this place for 18 years and feel about as passionate as a rock!
True, maybe "passion" is a bit of a strong word for most high school leavers.
I did not feel "passionate" about the course I chose, it was just one that seemed to be along the lines of what I could see myself doing, and something I thought I would enjoy.
It is hard to chose if you don't feel drawn to anything specifically...I guess it's just a case of figuring out something you *think* will make you most happiest. Not just doing something with a high UAI cut off just because 'you can', or it sounds impressive, etc.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
well, i do have passion for my course because
a) i've wanted to be a vet since i can even remember
b) I missed out by so little last year and have had to work my arse off this year to try and transfer. If i didnt have the passion i wouldnt have been able to do that.
c) its hard to make a career as a vet if you dont honestly love animals, because you have to have a lot of patience, tolerance, and not be afraid of being bitten every now and again

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Mambomeg
my friend got 99+ and is doing agriculture, with a cut off in the low 70's. I think thats great, good on her. (she topped the state in agriculture last year by the way)
And there is still a reason to work hard even if you only need a low UAI - SCHOLARSHIPS!!!!!!
are you talking about Angela Dennett?

she's from my school :)

What's your name?

alman

really...i think its all about using common sense (and logic)..do something that makes common sense and you will enjoy it (and for some people, make some money)...

if i use myself as an example, i enjoy making money through the stock market..it would make sense to do a commerce degree (which i hope i get in)...the thing is..i dont enjoy making the money cos i am a cheapskate BUT its the passion of identifiying good businesses at low prices...thats where i get the excitement for you..

note: investing also makes common sense for me...

i guess, its the best of both worlds..

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I don't think I'm passionate about anything atm, but I do have an interest in commerce and business since I studied business studies just out of interest rather than to maximise my uai.

With the universities pumping out 5000+ commerce graduates every year, I feel that I must differentiate myself in some way, perhaps through a HD average :D, perhaps through work experience, or perhaps through a combined degree and it appears that the most practical degree to combine commerce with is law, as I quote from the usyd site:

"Although many graduates obtain employment as legal practitioners, an increasing number choose employment in commerce and management, banking and finance, accounting, communications and media, government administration and education, where a law degree is acknowledged as a desirable qualification."

Passion is important, but you must balance it with practicality (aka career oppotunities and earning capacity)

RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU WANT TO BE AN ASTRONAUT :wave:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Originally posted by sugaryblue
are you talking about Angela Dennett?

she's from my school :)

What's your name?
yes, i am, she's in my course at uni (well, the courses are kinda different, but pretty much the same)
My name is megan, i went to mt st benedict, class of 02. I play soccer with ange.

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
hmmm...i've been wanting to do comm/law since yr10, and even though that's not that long, i do believe its the right degree for me, to the best of my knowledge, and i'm passionate about being a commercial lawyer. on the other hand, i know quite a few ppl who seem to be blindly doing law on the back of high enough uai's, some parental pressure, and perhaps peer pressure also. but hei, who know wot everyone is good at...sometimes u just gotta try it out. u may find that u entered a course for all the wrong reasons, but ended up really enjoying it nonetheless

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hers something that i thought bout recently....alot of ppl blindly choose courses such as commerce, law or medicine because it has prestige or pays very well....

why do they want a good paying job? so they can enjoy life later...but these people only fool themselves because if you're truly passionate about something then you'll go with it. Having an enjoyable job with meagre pay is much more fulfilling than a tedious job with great pay...cos job satisfaction is something that money cannot compensate for right?

so to everyone who is considering uac prefernces this year (or next) i say unto you...as is stated in the engo prospectus for unsw, your uai is not a voucher and u dont have to use up every ast mark of it...just go with your passions....

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
haha, i like it, uai is not a voucher :D:p

can i get some of my life refunded if i don't use all of it? :D:D:D

is a roflcopter
HSC
im pretty cynical about this
sure the "go for something you are passionate about" approach is valid and fuck i go for that too if im well off

but have you ever struggle to pay a gas bill? or even just hold off a meal or two because theres just not enough money to get food

we are not fooling ourselves
we just dont live in a sheltered world where daddy's credit card will save the day

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by inasero
hers something that i thought bout recently....alot of ppl blindly choose courses such as commerce, law or medicine because it has prestige or pays very well....

why do they want a good paying job? so they can enjoy life later...but these people only fool themselves because if you're truly passionate about something then you'll go with it. Having an enjoyable job with meagre pay is much more fulfilling than a tedious job with great pay...cos job satisfaction is something that money cannot compensate for right?

so to everyone who is considering uac prefernces this year (or next) i say unto you...as is stated in the engo prospectus for unsw, your uai is not a voucher and u dont have to use up every ast mark of it...just go with your passions....

yeah i agree with you.

i am gonna do commerce because i really liked business studies at school, so i hope i like commerce at uni as well :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
we are not fooling ourselves
we just dont live in a sheltered world where daddy's credit card will save the day
yes you're right and I agree with you wholeheartedly...we live in a society which is very money orientated and especially for young people like us, it's hard to get along witht he bare essentials in life these days...I read in the paper that it's gonna be harder fopr young people to actually own their own houses by the time they are 30

Im not saying that you should choose a shit job because money has and always will be an issue, just that it should not be your first or only consideration

a carrer should be an occupation first and a job next

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
Australian unis are all stuffed up. The UAI cut-offs are all screwed!

How can medicine cut off be higher than biochemistry and nanotechnology?

Consider this, a doctor earns cash provided other people get sick, how stupid is this?
Our non renewable sources of energy, crude oil / petroleum / uranium , are running out and all the HSC graduates think about is how to defend someone who's guilty and treat someone who's already sick.

Shouldn't we research to prevent such things in the first place? Advanced Science @ USYD is the way to go! Passion or prestige, the answer is pretty clear.

Ask yourself, where is the common sense in this society?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by lil_star
I have noticed that many people who go to uni are deciding [for] B Commerce/ B Law for PRESTIGE...
just felt this deserved reiterating...

*shakes fist at super-high cutoffs*
*sigh*

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hey wen ur comp is fixed!! hey whats the outcome of the jr shs lan battle?

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
hey wen ur comp is fixed!! hey whats the outcome of the jr shs lan battle?
Lol hard to say, no one was real serious

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yeah, that lan bash was gay! too much cs, not enough bt and war3 dammit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)