• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Money/Prestige or PASSION? Uni Course Selection! (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Actually, you're likely to change your career 3 times (majorly) over your life.

Some of my friend's parents have ended up doing vastly different professions from what they decided to do at University.

One of my mates dad started out doing Medicine because his family told him to do so. He's now become a teacher.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
and of course, it's pretty sad if you did say commerce/med/law just cos you know it's a high earner :(
It depends on your attitude. Alot of people choose these courses so they can work for a short time making alot of money, and change their career to a less-well-earning one with enough money to be comfortable for the rest of their lives.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by lil_star
Hi people

I have noticed that many people who go to uni are deciding upon their courses such as doing B commerce for MONEY or B Commerce/ B Law for PRESTIGE....while they dont even know what the HELL commerce is........

In my view even if you have a UAI of 99 you must do the course you are PASSIONATE about! even if the cut off for that course is 85!

What do you think? huh? :confused: :confused: :confused:
prestige is a worrying one, my prob is i don' tknow if doing a course at a less prestigious uni will mean less job opportunities.

money will always be a consideration. i think it is wrong, but it will always be there. you have to think about you will usrvive in the future.

passion is the most important

Lainee

HSC
I agree that passion is important in selecting a career that you'll be possibly pursuing for a big chunk of your life, but not everybody has a passion for something. Sometimes, it's just a matter of closing your eyes and picking and choosing something... sometimes it comes down to picking something because it has certain advantages - be it higher starting salaries, wider job options etc.

Passion is important, but people shouldn't feel guilty about picking something they've never had a whole-hearted pull towards and in turn being attracted to other factors.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Aaron1911

Following your passion is very important. In whatever field I want to do, I want to be the best. And being passionate about what you're studying, and what you're going to be doing the rest of your life is what will likely seperate you from the rest of the crowd.

Don't think about the money. Think about what you want to do. If you love what you're doing and you're good at it, the money will come, don't worry. And I seriously doubt so many aspiring lawyers with their 99.95 uai's would be doing law if they knew that the average salary for private practice is $77k and government lawyers at $75k

Source: http://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/articles/BB/0C01AEBB.asp?Type=55&Category=848

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Even if u do Law/Med/Commerce, who knows, u might end up working in academia..ie, work at uni, lecturing, professor etc
a lot of academics never expected to end up like that, but figured out they enjoyed teaching and researching a lot

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I want to do a Bachelor of Business next year for two reasons:

1. It is the degree that had the lowest cutoff at Newcastle University last year and therefore the only course I have a chance of being accepted in; and

2. Business is where the money is (Please note that I don't mind the subject either):).

P.S. One of my friends got a U.A.I. of 99.2 and is doing a Bachelor of Commerce at Newcastle University next year, which had a cutoff last year of 73.2.

P.P.S. What is so prestigious about a Bachelor of Commerce:confused:?

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
prestige is a worrying one, my prob is i don' tknow if doing a course at a less prestigious uni will mean less job opportunities.

money will always be a consideration. i think it is wrong, but it will always be there. you have to think about you will usrvive in the future.

passion is the most important
hi
i agree with you...i got a UAI 94+ and i am planning to do BscIT/DipIT (UTS, 85.20),....as im REaLLY Passionate about computers....but i know alot of people who would say...Ah look at the UAI and the course choice.......

Im worried that in computers area there are not many jobs rite now....but WHO KNOWS....in 3-4 yrs time COMMERCE/ACCOUNTING may be down....in the past 4 yrs....people who started computers thought they were in a goldmine but today they are not...when they are out of uni....similar could be the case for COMMERCE....Computers may be different.....

so yeah....i hope i stick with what i want and not do what people EXPECT of me!

Aaron1911

Computers and the IT industry in general is very different though. Much of the work is sent to outsourcing companies such as EDS or pretty much any of the large companys based in India. And the work isn't coming back to Australia after India, far from it. There are already plans to set up shop in cheaper country such as China and eventually, Russia.

But if you are passionate about your work and are good at it, you have nothing to worry about really. There will always be IT work in Australia and if you're one of the best and brightest, you will have work.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by natstar
I choose passion. Id hate to be stuck in a job i didnt like even if it paid big bucks. I would much rather be happy and do something that i love, even if i got a uai of 100 id still do what i want to do now
yeah i agree...i know this person who wants to do a particular course because of MONEY, however they Know nothing related to it, as far as i know!

it would be interesting to see if they like it in uni! :D

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I choose PASSION, I genuinely wanna become a doctor or pharmacist... too bad I didn't make it, oh well

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
I choose PASSION, I genuinely wanna become a doctor or pharmacist... too bad I didn't make it, oh well

yeah... i guess PM's passionate about garbage cleaning :p....

is a roflcopter
HSC
i hope i get into my course
but yes
i chose it for the money
its simple
being a barely above the poverty line all my life, my passion is money

ND

HSC
I'm passionate about becoming an actuary. :D

edit: or a barrister.

Last edited:

ND

HSC
Well i'm into actuarials for certain (unless they do something crazy like cut 90% of the places), and i'll get into law only with full-fee... Still haven't decided what i really wanna do...

Btw gl with law.

This coming from a guy who kicked my ass in teh hsc. :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babydoll_
I genuinely want to become a dentist -- but ask me in a few years whether I make it or not. :D

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)