• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Intel Core 2 Processors = t3h l33t? (1 Viewer)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
im desperately in need of a CPU upgrade with my current one being an Athlon XP 2700+, well past its days in terms of gaming.

ive been planning for an upgrade at the end of this year and was almost certain i would be going with an AMD but after reading this article from gamespot, im beginning to think i might try out an intel

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6153900/index.html

those are some pretty impressive benchmarks, but from the user comments there are mixed opinions (maybe a few too many fanboys?)
the article states that the E6300 will cost under $200 ($183 according to the next article) but didnt have any benchmarks for that. so i googled around and came up with this:

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=265&type=expert&pid=11

that shows a E6300 being a little better than an +4800 in gaming apps and fairly close by in most other tests. the 4800+ currently priced at $632 at newegg, over 3 times as much as the E6300.

^this is all in US dollars, most new and high end hardware seems way overpriced in Australia. comparing a few things at shopbot.com.au with newegg.com and taking the exchange rate into account (~$1.33AUS = $1US) we are being so amazingly ripped off. im thinking of getting my next comp shipped over from the US, cost me an extra $50 or so but will save me a good +$200 (and its good for their economy :p)

im thinking this would be the perfect budget CPU when its time to upgrade, unless AMD can release some very impressive stuff or lower their prices dramatically.

any thoughts on these CPUs? im sure there must be a catch somewhere.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
There is no catch, Intel is better at the moment, although there were playing catchup. AMD have no answer at the moment to Intel's new CPU other than price cuts. Things will not change for the while until AMD releases new architecture and moves onto 65nm production.

With your little plan of buying from overseas, be careful that you don't get taxed by Australian customs which will cost you a lot more than you thing.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
First of all, the speed of your CPU does not fully determine how well your computer is going to perform. My PC currently runs on a AMD athlone X2 4400+ with 2GB RAM, ASUS A8N32-ALI board and with a 6800GTX graphic. I dont see why people pay a few hundred buck to get a newer and a CPU that clocks a little bit faster. I rather get something like the 4400+ and spend the money to get a good motherboard, graphics, and a good harddrive.

All my previous computer has been intel processors, i often find them just freezes when they process too much data. The only good thing about intel is the intel chipsets are better than thoes which run AMD.

Have you heard the news that intel blackmails and bribe software designers to make software where it's not possible to run on AMD?

And lastly, if you planning to buy a top end CPU i suggest you get a good solid ASUS motherboard. It's a waste of money if dont let the CPU reach its full potential.

Last edited:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Is it also good to buy an Intel motherboard for an Intel CPU for maximum compatibility?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
AntiHyper said:
Is it also good to buy an Intel motherboard for an Intel CPU for maximum compatibility?
Ye, Nvidia isnt bad but SiS and VIA is just pieces of crap

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
ASUS S775 P5B Core 2 Motherboard $299
Intel S775 Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz CPU $389
DDR2 2GB OCZ 533MHz Dual Channel Kit Value Pro $279
Creative Audigy 4 Sound Card $119
Xtreme Viper Case Blue/Black +500Watt PSU $199
BFG GeForce 7900GT 256M PCIe Video Card $499

Total Price $1784

looks like ill be upgrading to something like this.
this rig should last me a good 3-4 years of gaming until shader model 4/directx10 becomes standard and ill need a new gfx card. after the HSC its gonna be non stop Crysis, Supreme Commander, M2:TW *salivates excessively

now all i need is a UAI of +90 so my parents will give in to my demands.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Yeps, ill be looking towards a Core 2 based system when i get a new rig at the end of the year as well :) My old rigs have been pretty average so want to go the whole set this time, i want water cooling as well.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
STx said:
Yeps, ill be looking towards a Core 2 based system when i get a new rig at the end of the year as well :) My old rigs have been pretty average so want to go the whole set this time, i want water cooling as well.
Trust me water cooling is a pain in the ass. With all the graphic cards and stuff put in, the water pipes wont fit. And when you change water............. And when it leaks......:bomb: Just get a good copper based heatsink and fan, should be pretty good.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
damn those look even sexier. i may have to switch to a E6600...which means i need an even higher UAI!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
While Intel chipset (ICH7) does offer better storage solutions, nVidia chipsets aren't inferior either.

Watercooling is usually best left to the enthusiasts who know what they are doing, although some of the kits now available isn't too hard to install.

And take a look at DFI motherboards as well. I haven't seen how the Intel ones work but on an AMD DFI is the overclocker's choice.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
i seen a computer cooled with freezer piepes (the things in ur fridge) and i think he used silicon (I am not sure) to absorb the water so there isnt a drop of water in the PC. And the CPU runs at 10 degrees.

When it comes to motherboards, i still think Asus has the edge over other, i personally use a A8N32-SLI Delux and very satisfy with it.

Most DFI boards run on ATI chipsets, i dont know how reliable they are due to the fact that ATI closed its chipset unit awhile ago due to poor sales.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
hehe yeah extreme cooling: phase change, check XtremeSystems, those guys frequently get those oc-ing world records, with their crazy cooling techniques.

Source

Last edited:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Have u seen the video on Tom's hardware where they use liquid hydrogen to cool and PC?

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I doubt they'd be using liquid hydrogen, rather they would use liquid nitrogen as it's cheaper, colder and not combustible.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
AntiHyper said:
I doubt they'd be using liquid hydrogen, rather they would use liquid nitrogen as it's cheaper, colder and not combustible.
LOL, what a mistake!! I was looking through a chemistry textbook, i got hydrogen stuck in my head

Last edited:

gedddy

HSC
the conroe looks good, yet its still a bit pricey.

around the $300 mark for the lowest model conroe, which is about on par with the x2 4400. then you need to factor in that conroe mobo's are pretty expensive.

I think il wait for the price drops and get a x2 3800(hopefully aroundthe $250 mark) and a a8n-e

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Socket 939
A64 3800+ $196
X2 3800+ $246
X2 4200+ $296
X2 4600+ $378

Socket AM2
X2 3800+ $235
X2 4200+ $296
X2 4600+ $378
X2 5000+ $466
FX-62 $1258

New prices as of 24th of July, prices from pluscorp which is usually higher than others.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Core2 is pretty awesome. I'm thinking E6600, generally OCable to 4GHz air, first Conroe with 4MB cache.. great solution if you're looking for a cheap FX-62 beater. The E6300 is an awesome entry-level solution which is definitely better than an X2 3800+ in practically everything. If you're going for high OC, consider the E6700 with a higher multiplier. I don't see the point of getting an X6800+ for gaming unless you run your games @ 16*12/25*16, high AA/AF, maxed on a high-end SLi/CF system; only then will your system become CPU-limited with such a powerful (and expensive) processor. Bang/buck ratio just doesn't seem worth it at all for gaming at that price.

People should also keep an eye on the lookout for Core2 'Merom' based notebooks appearing soon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)