• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Intel Core 2 Processors = t3h l33t? (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
z600 said:
i seen a computer cooled with freezer piepes (the things in ur fridge) and i think he used silicon (I am not sure) to absorb the water so there isnt a drop of water in the PC. And the CPU runs at 10 degrees.

When it comes to motherboards, i still think Asus has the edge over other, i personally use a A8N32-SLI Delux and very satisfy with it.

Most DFI boards run on ATI chipsets, i dont know how reliable they are due to the fact that ATI closed its chipset unit awhile ago due to poor sales.
DFI has a large arsenal running on nVidia chipsets, and they are recognised worldwide by overclockers. While Asus products are also known for their high quality, it just doesn't have the same cult following as DFI. (And for clarification, I have an Asus motherboard).

coolkoombaya

HSC
3800x2 939= $199
4200x2 939= $269
4600x2 939 = $355

3800X2 AM2 =$220
4200X2 AM2 = $265
5000X2 AM2 = $470

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

NPM
$320
in today
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 npm
$449
ETA 14/8
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
$550
ETA 28/8
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
$899

ETA 28/8

Intel Core 2 Duo X6800
$1699

those are the prices off fluidtek. piss me off i got a 939 3800+x2 for brother, for $369 just a month ago. ><

Collin

HSC
N/A
$369 for a 3800? Hahahahaha.

E6300 OCs easily to FX-62 equivalent-speeds.. personally, I'm still up for a E6600. Simply put, Conroes are awesome. Super-shame about the current mobo prices.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Collin said:
$369 for a 3800? Hahahahaha.

E6300 OCs easily to FX-62 equivalent-speeds.. personally, I'm still up for a E6600. Simply put, Conroes are awesome. Super-shame about the current mobo prices.
If you're getting a E6600 for the 4MB cache, well, it doesn't improve performance much at all.

But it does pay to get a higher model, especially if you want to overclock, as the lower ends come with very low multiplier, and the FSB on the current motherboards cannot be adjusted high enough for the best overclock (you will exhaust the motherboard before you even need to increase voltage).

Collin

HSC
N/A
politik: I'd recommend a 1GB kit.. for that would ensure you can easily hit the 4GB mark on popular boards out today incase you ever need that much RAM. Speaking of boards, they're pretty expensive in general at the moment too. Infact, many people are actually using Conroe and it's effects on the price-wars to get a super-cheap AMD X2+ for dirt (aswell as a generally cheaper 939/AM2 mobo).

Templar: I would actually say the 4MB cache can be rather advantageous, if you're not someone who upgrades often. According to AnandTech's benchmarks, some productivity benchmarks showed a ~150-200MHz-equivalent advantage of having a 4MB Core2 over the 2MB version. E.g their OCed 2.6GHz E6300 performed roughly the same as their stock E6600 and their 2.88GHz E6400 ~ stock E6700.. and this was almost certainly evident in alot of their gaming benchmarks too (such as Quake IV and F.E.A.R). 150-200MHz is alot of power for a Conroe. Secondly, the benefits may become amplified since I intend to run the E6000 @ 3.5GHz - 4GHz (i.e by the time I'll be taking proper advantage of a 4GHz Conroe, I'd probably need such a high amount of cache to give my CPU a more balanced performance output). That is, the main thing is really just for futureproofness. The extra cache might not bring me a huge increase in performance right now, but then again I don't exactly need a 2.4GHz E6600 for practically anything I need to do night now anyway. I won't be spending money for a new PC again after Conroe for another 2-3 years and there's a good chance that the higher code data sets which will inevitably arise from future games and productivity software will start to take a much bigger advantage from the extra 2MB.

Edit: I'm waiting to hook a nice E6600 up with a R600/G80.. or even 2x 7950GX2s if they come down to $500AUD by Christmas and that nVidia actually releases some good drivers for them soon. :eek:

Last edited:

sk8ie_boi

peaker
HSC
I want to get the E6600, but since I realised it was just realised and the price is till high, I might wait a little while before buying it. Anyone know how long will the price might start drop a little? Also, any suggestions for the motherboard?

gtvwill

HSC
Pff fuck Core 2 Duo, off memory i heard that Intell intend on releasing Quad Core sometime next year. Quad Core FTW!

Collin

HSC
N/A
AMD and Intel are both planning on releasing quad-core products in the near future, dude. The point is, what exactly do YOU do which will really need quad? Many users nowadays who buy dual-core systems don't even need it.

gtvwill

HSC
Ill be doing Pi calculations so that i can boast how l33t my processor is of course. Jesus do you know nothing about being a nerd?

That and Quad Core would be smashing, I could devote An entire CPU to certain processes yet have 2 CPU's devoted to background processes. Couple this with 4-8gb of ram and your sweet :) Basically im a stats whore when it comes to computers. That and i currently own a piece which in about a year or so I intend to buy a new one when i go to uni after doing my GAP year.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I assume you're loaded. Wallet-wise, that is.

gtvwill

HSC
You sir assume wrong. Hence why i have a shite computer atm. Which is why i shall get me a job lol.

Collin

HSC
N/A
So what are you running right now? I still don't get why you're serious about quad-core, especially since you don't (c'mon) have any legitimate reasons for spending that much on a quad-core system when you're not even RICH.

Unlike you actually, ACTUALLY want to spend many thousands on a PC for the sake of getting a <10s score in SuperPi 1M. lol

Are you a gamer? That would make more sense.

gtvwill

HSC
Yes i am a gamer well not as much as id like to be but i do game. Currently im running
2.0 ghz p4 non overclocked
Geforce 4mx 64mb
Onboard sound :(
512mb ram
120gb of hdd space (a 40 and a 80 arranged so i have 3 40gb partitions) This was my latest purchase along with the extra stick of ram. But i am still running out of space :(

However if i do purchase a new PC i intend on getting atleast 2-3 SATA HDD's of 200gb each probably. I torrent alot and space gets chewed up quickly.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Geforce 4 MX.. hahaha. I remember the days when I had my trusty old Geforce 2 Ti. Get yourself a job around November when you finish your exams. You should have a decent new rig running before uni starts (oh wait, you're doing gap right?). Unless of course you were serious about the quad-core Intel Kentsfield.. lol you might need to be saving a little longer for that one.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Oh I kno.. it was only 2 months ago since I upgraded my graphics card from a GeForce 4 MX 128MB to a GeForce 6600 GT 128MB. A large jump in FPS and quality.

Anyone got a SCSI drive? And is it worth the higher costs for the higher revs lol.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I jumped from a Gf 2 to an X800XT-PE lol.

As for SCSI drives, personally for me, no.

BradCube

HSC
AntiHyper said:
Oh I kno.. it was only 2 months ago since I upgraded my graphics card from a GeForce 4 MX 128MB to a GeForce 6600 GT 128MB. A large jump in FPS and quality.

Anyone got a SCSI drive? And is it worth the higher costs for the higher revs lol.
I don't, but I think you would do just as well with a 10,000 RPM Raptor on a SATA connection. From what I have heard SATA has the ability to perform just as well as SCSI, it's just the actual drive that is running on it that makes the difference.

Core 2 Duo is definatley the chip that I will be purchasing this next year. I do a heap of video editing and dual-core would be a God send.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I'll better that with a TNT2 Ultra to 6800GT.

With SATA, SCSI is pretty much dead, especially in the personal sector.

I suppose you don't really need quad core. I would like a quad core since I do run Prime95 in the background, but I'll survive for less. It's just nice to have, but not absolutely vital.

gtvwill

HSC
Templar said:
I'll better that with a TNT2 Ultra to 6800GT.

With SATA, SCSI is pretty much dead, especially in the personal sector.

I suppose you don't really need quad core. I would like a quad core since I do run Prime95 in the background, but I'll survive for less. It's just nice to have, but not absolutely vital.
mmm quadcore with SETI or electric sheep. yum lol.

Templar you dont happen to have played Gothic do you?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Geforce 4? 0_o i used to have one of those... like 6 years ago, then i upgraded so i could actually play games [ it ran counterstrike 1.2 pretty well though]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)