• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

individual projects (1 Viewer)

hanjoc

what are people doing for their major project and how are you finding information for it?

Sasky

HSC
hey, I'm doing John Howard and the Liberal Government, and I'm getting my info from my sources - books, the internet, local libraries - try state lib, they have everything, newsletters (v. good), etc.
I think it really depends on what you are studying, e.g. period wise or contemporary, but you will find most of your information from the library or the internet.
Speaking of my project, actually, can anybody else help me out with mine? I'm researching into where the Liberal Party is headed - i'm proposing backwards - and that Howard represents a 'new' sort of conservative liberalism, even more conservative then previous pms.
What I'm needing help with is how to link it to major histographical questions and issues... hmmm

hanjoc

project

im doing why histrorians view US intervention in the Vietnam War differently and have found some stuff but i really don't know where to start the essay. i'm stuck on how to structure it based on histiography rather than ideas. is it only 2500 words?

trekkie

HSC
I think ive said this before but ill say it again! Im investigating whether William Bligh has been maligned in history, im focusing on whether the judgment of him as a harsh sadistic tryant that was responsible for the mutiny on the bounty is justified or not, and ill tell you right now that all things are looking good for Bligh!

ms.cinderella

HSC
salem witch trials - the different interpretations of the cause of it.. the majority of my info comes from books.. do we get marked down if we dont use a range of sources??

Nerissa

Originally posted by ms.cinderella
salem witch trials - the different interpretations of the cause of it.. the majority of my info comes from books.. do we get marked down if we dont use a range of sources??
I am also confused about this. For those of you who haven't already rolled your eyes at my desperate proposal thread and laughed at my ridiculously verbose and stupid work, I'm doing the causes of the Spanish Civil War. Almost all of my sources are books, though I have a couple of journal articles, so I am very worried about this VARIETY thing (I know they make a big deal out of it in English). But they can't mark us down, can they? I mean, my teacher told me NOT to use websites as they are not considered reliable or sophisticated - what does that leave? I'll ask my teacher...why doesn't everyone do the same? And maybe I'll check out the HTA prize winners' footnotes and bibliographies...Aaaarrrghhhh, remind me why I did this course?!

trekkie

HSC
Hey, the vast majority of your work should be from books but that doesnt mean that you cant consult websites. Websites often offer more up to date information and a far more viewpoints and opinions than books do, but if the website that your on has information that you think is a little suspect cross check it or leave it out

trekkie

HSC
Oh and just because its on a website does not mean that the information is not 'reliable of sophisticated', many historians publish new ideas that they have had or lecture notes of theirs on the internet, Henry Reynolds is the classic example, his uni lecture notes can be obtained from the net, lol and he still manages to get his picture on them

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
i'm looking at Hilter and the Final Solution - the three schools of thought that say he was involved, wasn't invovled and the fence sitters...
the bulk of my info is from books - and i have found that the introcution to works are really helpful in talkign about different historical schools of thought...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by trekkie
Oh and just because its on a website does not mean that the information is not 'reliable of sophisticated'
true, but the credibility of a source is always in question when its an internet article or essay. As long as you are sensibly selective in your choice of sources then, yes, the internet is able to offer alot.

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
david irving, much easier. my 2nd idea i found 2 historians in 4 months, this one i found 2 in an hour :)

kezza2469

hey, im doing the historyigraphy og ho chi minh from 1941-1954, atleast thats what it will eventually be. Have many people started to write yet??? Actually, I only want to know if you havent then Ill feel a bit better... I dont really know where to start!

Sasky

HSC
is there a lot of historiography on howard?
I tried seeing how I could link historiography with the Howard years, such as what have been the (changing) approaches to the Liberal Party and in particular the Howard Government, if Howard is the most conservative PM to date, conservatism vs liberalism, and more or less where Australia is heading with John Howard.

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
Chih Minh - uis that the Chinese Empress chick???
I have started my draft - 1600 words!!!!! wooooo hooooooooo
Most of my sources are movies (being hollywood and all...) i only used like 4 books - meh, my teacher says its cool. You should all check out "www.historians.org" - a Historical association website (CREDIBILITY!!!!!!!!!!) with articles written by historians on different issues - reallllllllllly good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)