• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

christianity and dinosaurs> can they be friends? (2 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yes... someone rose from the dead 2000 years ago.... good excuse.
If jesus rose from the dead today, started performing miracles all around the place... I WOULD BELIEVE!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
waterfowl said:
If you don't want to believe in God thats fine, but I do so just accept that. Just in the same way you can't be swayed to know God, I can't be swayed to not know him.
waterfowl said:
Well thats you're point of view. Don't call what I and Christians believe bullshit, because I would never say what you believe is bullshit.
Proof of the openmindness of a christian

Funny. I figured that the way most of the posts depicted Christians (earlier in the thread) that Christians were the more aggressive party and enforced their beliefs.

Explicitly saying that "CHRISTIANITY IS WRONG" sounds a bit aggressive to me.

moonlightsonata said:
Once again, no one has actually put forward any reasons for believing in God.

All I've heard is, "oh it's a belief. You can't criticise someone's beliefs."

But this is plainly and painfully false - if you believe 2 + 2 = 5, you are wrong. If you believe a square has 3 sides, you are wrong. If you believe humans can jump 100 feet into the air unaided, you are wrong.

To say belief's can't be criticised is absolutely absurd. "I believe in that torturing babies for fun is right! You can't criticise my beliefs though, they're beliefs!"
Your example is bizarre. Believing that you can torture babies because its fun and a right is hazardous as well as straying from what society sees as "WRONG" thus you are implying that Christianity is WRONG.

2 + 2 = 5 is ALSO wrong. It is clearly 4, and YES I AGREE that the answer IS WRONG but you imply that christianity is therefore WRONG by your example. Personally that is such an ignorant and discriminating, narrowminded conclusion.

The stupidity of saying that it is WRONG is WITHOUT evidence, which means YOU have strayed from the argument.

The only sane person here that I've taken note of (so there are some, I just havent recognised them) is sub.

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
yes... someone rose from the dead 2000 years ago.... good excuse.
If jesus rose from the dead today, started performing miracles all around the place... I WOULD BELIEVE!
You say that...but chances are you'd make up some excuse, you'd create a "logical" argument to oppose it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes... what has 'logic' ever done for us, blind faith in things is much better.

If someone rose from the dead... and starting performing miracles n shit, and could fly and whatever of course i'd believe him.
The point is... that will not ever happen, reality will stop it from ever being an occourance.

Comrade nathan

HSC
waterfowl said:
You say that...but chances are you'd make up some excuse, you'd create a "logical" argument to oppose it.
There is no need to argue because it didnt happen.

Comrade nathan

HSC
We know that 2+2= 4, why because of past experince. we gain this knowledge.

Through sceince and our past experince we can do the same to Christanity.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Waterfowl quick question do you take the bible as literal or metaphorical.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
duh it depends if it's a parable or not...
do you take genesis as metaphorical... some christians do, others don't.

My question is... would you believe me if i said i was jesus? I didn't want to perform miracles because i don't want to be tested by mere mortals :)

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
duh it depends if it's a parable or not...
do you take genesis as metaphorical... some christians do, others don't.

My question is... would you believe me if i said i was jesus? I didn't want to perform miracles because i don't want to be tested by mere mortals :)
No I would not, because the next time Jesus comes it will be the end of the Earth.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
We know that 2+2= 4, why because of past experince. we gain this knowledge.

Through sceince and our past experince we can do the same to Christanity.
When can you see that Christianity doesn't attempt to explain the world the way science does? It places a set of morals, not too different from society's morals such as respect, love etc and worth some sort of value.

Again you imply that Christianity is "wrong" without back up. Please read my posts. You'll also see that a lot of scientists are christians too. How Bizarre must that be??? If you cannot see the difference between science and religion, then I cannot find credibility in your arguments

spell check

HSC
Comrade nathan said:
Through sceince and our past experince
that argument was shit even before you made those spelling errors

"science" and past "experience"

you can see that 2+2=4 when you get 2 things and another 2 things and end up with 4 things

there is nothing practical i can do to see that the Bible is true, it is all blind faith

Comrade nathan

HSC
waterfowl said:
Depends on the passage, whether it is a parable or not.
Oh taken the safe way out are we. So when its

16:18
They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Its a metaphor and you wont drink poison.

Yet when its

19:19
Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

How glorious and loving book the bibble is, and we this should be taken as straight forward ?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Alot of scientists are christians because they have they're scared of death.. and of course they cannot explain things.
Scientists admit they cannot explain everything, some of them are christians to fill this gap.

Why do all the christians here continue to deny logic.... they use it for every other aspect of their life but their beliefs...

waterfowl

HSC
Comrade nathan said:
Oh taken the safe way out are we. So when its

16:18
They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Its a metaphor and you wont drink poison.

Yet when its

19:19
Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

How glorious and loving book the bibble is, and we this should be taken as straight forward ?

16:18 isn't a metaphor, God protects people (although you do need common sense too!)

19:19 of course we should all do that

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Alot of scientists are christians because they have they're scared of death.. and of course they cannot explain things.
Scientists admit they cannot explain everything, some of them are christians to fill this gap.
Not-That-Bright said:
Some christians have drunk poison... and died attempting to proove their faith lol
Please don't be hypocritical and prove it.

Some things, for some people don't need proving. For you, it does in order to believe. I find that very instinctive and understandable, so you are valid in your choice not to believe in a religion.

Yet condemning those who require no proof to believe in something is another matter. Questioning others in order to enforce your beliefs that religion is illogical is ILLOGICAL within itself because we don't need proof, but you do. Why? Because we're not the same people. Sounds logical to me, don't you? So this argument never ends.

Comrade nathan

HSC
waterfowl said:
16:18 isn't a metaphor, God protects people (although you do need common sense too!)

19:19 of course we should all do that
Well go on then i dare you.

We didnt need the bible to tell us that.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
That's all fair... but you want to argue your faith too.
I feel that people SHOULD be challenged about their faith if they themselves want to speak up... and since you're promoting your faith in this thread.. i think i'm allowed to.

Why should i not criticise people who require no proof to believe in things? Would you not criticise your friend if they joined a cult that worshiped aliens? that worshipped some sleazy looking guy?

It is possible for me to prove to you that you are wrong, or at least to get you to think about it, i also like learning more about why christians believe what they believe.... 'i just do' is no answer, i try to get to the core reason for their beliefs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)