• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

christianity and dinosaurs> can they be friends? (1 Viewer)

sub

ur_inner_child said:
"I believe I will find my true love"

FACTS:
- Love is a construct in many ways, through the media, through little valentines cards as a rosey, perfect experience. This is often not true.

- Love is constructed in usually a heterosexual way, sometimes enforcing patriarchy, sexism, racism, depending on the context. The way love is depicted has flaws such as these.

- Love is depicted as "required" and you MUST end up with someone you love.

- How can one believe that they will find their true love without proof? How the hell will one know that you'll find "your true love" No one can see into the future. There is no logic in the belief.

- Love CONTROLS

I hope I don't need to explain to you why I've written this up. It's a BELIEF. Deconstruct as you will, but it doesn't seem to work.

great example...but why are u arguing a belief? u can NEVER get anywhere arguing a subjective view!!! u CAN try to rationalise god, i have tried, got somewhere, but it needs more work. i will post it once i think its good to go. the belief of love is a construct...but this will get u thinking:

using ur analogy, love and faith...are u saying faith too is a construct? becos then i beg to differ... faith is a way of recognising ur place in hte world. u believe that there is sumthing greater...much greater. it IS a construct till u find religion. Religion is a way of making faith work. it organises the ideas into ones that can be apllied to everyday life. from this u may gather that religion too is a construct, but its not...religion bases itself on faith...something that is either the strongest or weakest thing in the world. its strong base (those with weak foundations are easily swayed and thus i discount them from belief) is subjective, but once that is established, logic flows through. u CAN rationalise god's existence...i will get back to u with the proof...just dont dicount that for now...
after god is determined to exist, then ur belief is taken to the next stage via other beliefs in religion.
now that probably doesnt make to much sense, but think about it. :p

sub

Sophie777 said:
Sub

I didn't say evolution was right. You are the one who made the fleeting statement that is was wrong. I was questioning who you were and why you were privy to information as to its illogicalities that the billions of scientists were not. So, in actual fact, you didn't answer my question.
look im sorry if u mistook what i sed in the beginning, its just that from what i read, ppl are trying to mould religion to fit in with something that is a thoery, which is NOT proven. which in doing so...is rong. u shouldnt manipulate religion to uphold something that isnt true or not yet proven...all it does is show that religion is easy to manipulate to get desired ends...
also, the education system endorses darwins theory as true, when it may not be... that can lead to severe misconceptions. i was merely trying to point that out, but it looks like i did a bad job...sry.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
This is an argument that will never be won. Christians cannot prove the existance of god but will sustain the argument through arguing a lot of bullshit that obviously isn't true. Don't even bother just let them believe a bunch of lies if thats what they want to do.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
anyway, thanx all for ur views, for once some proper discussion. good luck to all tomorrow (if u do 3u maths), or otherwise good luck for the rest of the HSC. My final thought... believe what you want, and don't let anyone get to you. There... problem (if there was one) solved. :)

sub

iamsickofyear12 said:
This is an argument that will never be won. Christians cannot prove the existance of god but will sustain the argument through arguing a lot of bullshit that obviously isn't true. Don't even bother just let them believe a bunch of lies if thats what they want to do.
dude, ur a prime example of someone who doesnt prove what they say...im not a christian...maybe U should back up some of ur claims and not generalise

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
(seeing as though I've been both atheist and christian)

Think this as well: (I love the simpsons)

Lisa finds that Jebediah Springfield, a hero that is worshipped or idolised by most of Springfield, is a fraud

She chooses not to announce this.

Now deconstruct that episode.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
if u beleive in god and he is not real u die and disappear anyway, however if he is real u go to heaven.
if u don;t beleive in godand he is not real u die and disappear, however if he is real u go to hell forever

so u best be off beleving in him

sub

ur_inner_child said:

Lisa finds that Jebediah Springfield, a hero that is worshipped or idolised by most of Springfield, is a fraud

who was that to??? and where is the relevance...all it showed was that truth is subjective...and able to be witheld. also, it may be considered beneficial to do so, but then again, who are we to hold the truth back? i still do not see the correlation between that and religion?? how?

Sophie777

sub said:
look im sorry if u mistook what i sed in the beginning, its just that from what i read, ppl are trying to mould religion to fit in with something that is a thoery, which is NOT proven. which in doing so...is rong. u shouldnt manipulate religion to uphold something that isnt true or not yet proven...all it does is show that religion is easy to manipulate to get desired ends...
also, the education system endorses darwins theory as true, when it may not be... that can lead to severe misconceptions. i was merely trying to point that out, but it looks like i did a bad job...sry.
No, no, I get you. Good point.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
does anyone truly know what we're all argueing anymore, or are we all off on our own tangents?! :)

Sophie777

Or we get old and die and after 90 years of living we don't want eternal life anyway. If you believe in God because u don't want to go to hell, he won't let you in. Don't you think with the belief in God's power that religious people would know God could see through a false belief?

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
at least we all seem to understand and respect eachother, isn't that one of the main things?!

Comrade nathan

HSC
using ur analogy, love and faith...are u saying faith too is a construct? becos then i beg to differ... faith is a way of recognising ur place in hte world. u believe that there is sumthing greater...much greater. it IS a construct till u find religion. Religion is a way of making faith work. it organises the ideas into ones that can be apllied to everyday life. from this u may gather that religion too is a construct, but its not...religion bases itself on faith...something that is either the strongest or weakest thing in the world. its strong base (those with weak foundations are easily swayed and thus i discount them from belief) is subjective, but once that is established, logic flows through. u CAN rationalise god's existence...i will get back to u with the proof...just dont dicount that for now...
So any group of people can come together create beliefs on the basis of love, then through giberish they can rationalize the existence of any hobgoblin they create.

Yet Atheist come together and try to destroy off all dogma, and hardcore Theist want even acknowledge it., and run back to their emotions.

Yours thoughts and emotions arent enough to prove the existence of fairy tales.

waterfowl

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Well thats you're point of view. Don't call what I and Christians believe bullshit, because I would never say what you believe is bullshit.

Comrade nathan

HSC
ur_inner_child said:

Simple

The people in springfeild are morons, Lisa knows that they would not be able to accept the truth, so their is no point.

Comrade nathan

HSC
waterfowl said:
Well thats you're point of view. Don't call what I and Christians believe bullshit, because I would never say what you believe is bullshit.
You mean what we know. You aren't calling our belief bullshit your calling our facts bulllshit.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Once again, no one has actually put forward any reasons for believing in God.

All I've heard is, "oh it's a belief. You can't criticise someone's beliefs."

But this is plainly and painfully false - if you believe 2 + 2 = 5, you are wrong. If you believe a square has 3 sides, you are wrong. If you believe humans can jump 100 feet into the air unaided, you are wrong.

To say belief's can't be criticised is absolutely absurd. "I believe in that torturing babies for fun is right! You can't criticise my beliefs though, they're beliefs!"

Comrade nathan

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Once again, no one has actually put forward any reasons for believing in God.

All I've heard is, "oh it's a belief. You can't criticise someone's beliefs."

But this is plainly and painfully false - if you believe 2 + 2 = 5, you are wrong. If you believe a square has 3 sides, you are wrong. If you believe humans can jump 100 feet into the air unaided, you are wrong.

To say belief's can't be criticised is absolutely absurd. "I believe in that torturing babies for fun is right! You can't criticise my beliefs though, they're beliefs!"
In conclusion the Atheist win this round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)