• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

buying a new pc (1 Viewer)

m123

HSC
isit worth buying a branded or non branded computer?

anyone kno whers a good place to get a reliable n cheap computer

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Is it worth buying a branded computer - yes for warranty, no for cost.
Is it worth buying an unbranded computer - yes for price, no for warranty. Your choice. :)

Are you planning on - adding parts to the computer yourself? Doing anything to the hardware? What are you going to be using the computer for? How often will you upgrade? What's your budget?

m123

HSC
well i got another computer now. but want a new one. budget prolly max 1500. well i havent upgraded anything on my current pc, cept for putting in a ethernet card thing. thats about it.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
If you feel confident (or a little adventurous) or have done it before, put it together using parts you buy yourself. Buy these from semi-big places, and warranty shouldn't be too much of a problem if it's a legit problem - ie wholesalers don't like taking faulty products back, so will thouroughly test them before giving you a new one. Regardless, it's a LOT cheaper to buy a computer in parts and put it together from there.

If you don't want to do that, find a smallish company, but avoid the big-brands and retailers... Way too much markup, in my opinion.

m123

HSC
nah dnt wana build from parts. wouldnt really kno wat to do -.-*
jst wana buy a new pc thats cheap n powerful lol

sladehk

le random
HSC
There are a lot of very good guys avaliable online(just google it), if you want cheap & powerful(and are prepared to not have warranty) go to small computer shops and there's bound to be a bargain(especially if you are bothered about having a second had one)! Otherwise, if you can be bothered to waste a few hours and learn how to put a computer together, you can easily save hundreds of bucks by building your own PC. Just buy the shell/box, the monitor, keyboard/mouse, cd/dvd drive, hard drive, sound card, graphics card, power supply and RAM.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
1500 can buy a very good computer if you build it yourself, so see if you can learn it.

m123

HSC
nah i cant be bothered too. but it sounds like its much cheaper. so ill consider it, but now maybe just buy one

sladehk

le random
HSC
its not taht hard really to put together a computer

sladehk

le random
HSC
hp computers look cool but are crap. the stuff you get in packaged deals are always not the top of the range. the parts are like 1-2+ years old already

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If you know what you're doing you can build a comp in 2-3 hours. If you don't, go on www.tomshardware.com and download their guide to building a comp, and you should be able to do it in an afternoon (as I did with my first one).

sladehk

le random
HSC
If you do build your own comp, just be sure that you get the exactly right parts as if you get some parts wrong and they are incompatible, it may lead to you needing to buy additional parts(and wasting money).

j_davo24

HSC
You could try Mode computers at warrawong (wollongong). They have good deals that arent brand name, and you get heaps of software n stuff with it. I was a bit scepticle at first, but we've had one for almost 2 years and its still running fine,no problems at all.

www.modecomputers.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)