• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
The capacity for rationality doesn't exclude the capacity for art, music or writing though. Nor does mathematics being an art-form imply a lack of rationality. That being said, you obviously are far more knowledgeable than I am in it's study so lel.
Artistic level mathematics relies on intuition. You never have certainty that the path you are chasing is correct, you only have the experience behind you and you run off that to decide whether a certain method is worth chasing or not. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it does. There is no rationality in that.

leehuan

HSC
Even if I did do a Ph. D in maths, because we're making assumptions I will keep loving it till that far, I have no clue what I'd research.

I'll probably be the guy with a ton of exploding light bulbs over the Riemann hypothesis

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Artistic level mathematics relies on intuition. You never have certainty that the path you are chasing is correct, you only have the experience behind you and you run off that to decide whether a certain method is worth chasing or not. Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it does. There is no rationality in that.
Touché.

All though that implies logical deduction in determining the likeliest method of success; based on experience, hence rationality :)

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Even if I did do a Ph. D in maths, because we're making assumptions I will keep loving it till that far, I have no clue what I'd research.

I'll probably be the guy with a ton of exploding light bulbs over the Riemann hypothesis
Nah, very few people have seriously attempted the Riemann Hypothesis because nobody has any idea where to even begin. And it's gonna require a lot of reading, because there are so many links between branches of mathematics out there.

leehuan

HSC
Nah, very few people have seriously attempted the Riemann Hypothesis because nobody has any idea where to even begin. And it's gonna require a lot of reading, because there are so many links between branches of mathematics out there.
In your opinion, what's more bothersome?

The Riemann Hypothesis, or the 3n+1 problem?

Those millenium math problems can't actually be impossible though. I mean it was probably easier but still the Poincare Conjecture was proven

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
In your opinion, what's more bothersome?

The Riemann Hypothesis, or the 3n+1 problem?

Those millenium math problems can't actually be impossible though. I mean it was probably easier but still the Poincare Conjecture was proven
I didn't really understand the Riemann one, but the other one seems simple enough.
How exactly can you rigorously prove that though. You can't test every number, and unless you could the possibility remains that there is a number with an infinite stopping time.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
How exactly can you rigorously prove that though. You can't test every number, and unless you could the possibility remains that there is a number with an infinite stopping time.
Yeah, no-one yet knows how to prove or disprove it. This is why it is an unsolved problem. :)

And the Riemann Hypothesis one is that all the non-trivial zeros of this special function called the Riemann-Zeta function have real part ½. (The input values of the Riemann Hypothesis are complex numbers (something known to HSC 4U Maths students), which are numbers with a real part and an imaginary part, so the hypothesis is that any input value (apart from some trivial ones, which are the negative even integers, which can easily be shown to all be zeros) such that the Riemann-Zeta function equals 0 has a real part of ½.)

(Link to Riemann-Zeta function for anyone curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_zeta_function .)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Though, when I smashed the test tube in Year 11...

It actually bounced once before it got shattered. Lol.

Kolmias

HSC
I'm on an iPad and I keep accidentally pressing the UNSW Engineering ad when I go to my settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)