• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Yr 11 to 12 Subject Advice Pleasseee (1 Viewer)

Therewego

HSC
Hey guys first post on this website pretty much out of complete noideawhattodonextyear and I have to know by friday, hopefully someone can help?

My subjects now are;
Mathematics
English Adv
English Ext
Ancient History
Economics
Legal Studies
Religion 2 Unit

Ok so here's the problem;

Pretty much next year I definetly am looking to pick up both ext 2 english and ext history, the problem is in order to do this I will obviously have to drop a number of units. I pretty much have two questions in regards to this which im hoping some people may have faced in the past.

Im pretty much deciding between economics and legal as to what to drop. I enjoy economics more but achieve better results in legal, probably by about 8-10%, what would you advise?

Another problem is pretty simple, whether 13 units is too many for yr 12? If so I'd have to drop math in order to have 11.

I've already talked to my careers advisor but they didn't particularly help too much in my decision,

Thanks in advance guys, oh and first post :)

JB10

HSC
Up to you, but I think 13 units would be a little too much.. What are you getting in eco? If you're getting above 78% or thereabouts, I'd keep it.. It scales something awesome.
English Advanced + Extension 2 English = 4 units
Ancient History + History Extension = 3 units
So you need 2 more subjects..
Do you have to do religion studies? If so.. I would keep math. If you can drop religion studies I would keep math and eco.

Just my opinion

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Ive done thirteen. Manage your time and you'll do fine.

In terms of scaling, history x is great.

But yeah, don't be scared by thirteen units. Ive had a great year and if you manage your time well and avoid procrastination, it'll be fine.

4unitfreak

HSC
In terms of whether to drop Ec or Legal, see what you get for your Prelim yearlies and then make your decision. Personally, I'd keep whatever you like better, because the difference in marks isn't huge and there's always room for improvement. I'm getting this from personal experience because in Year 11 I couldn't decide whether to drop Music or Chemistry. I dropped Music and it was a huge mistake because now I'm still barely passing Chem even with a new teacher. So I'd keep the one you prefer.

And 13 units for Year 12? Uh.... 13 is probably too many, but don't drop back to 11 right away. I know of heaps of people in my grade who went through at least two terms with 13 units and then dropped back. Dropping Maths straight away isn't a great idea because then you have very little leeway.

Hope that helps! :uhhuh:

b-anna

HSC
N/A
whoa. pretty much doing the same subjects as you:

adv eng
ext1 eng
mod history (acc, so is dropped next year)
ancient
eco
legal
sor2

i also want to pick up ext history and ext2 eng, and i'm thinking i should drop a subject to do so. otherwise i'd have 15u overall for the hsc (2 this yr & 13 next), which seems a bit ridiculous.

i have no idea what to drop though! going fairly well in all (ranked 1). ancient and legal scale the worst, but i enjoy both. sor2 i'm a bit scared about, because my teacher's really unpredictable and goes off on massive tangents and it feels like he's really not teaching anything, but we've had some really good results - and i'm interested. eco, well, the only reason i'd keep it is because it scales well, and i need a high uai - teacher's not great, and it's good, but not my fav subject.

any brilliant people want to decide my subjects for next yr for me?! :)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
b-anna said:
whoa. pretty much doing the same subjects as you:

adv eng
ext1 eng
mod history (acc, so is dropped next year)
ancient
eco
legal
sor2

i also want to pick up ext history and ext2 eng, and i'm thinking i should drop a subject to do so. otherwise i'd have 15u overall for the hsc (2 this yr & 13 next), which seems a bit ridiculous.

i have no idea what to drop though! going fairly well in all (ranked 1). ancient and legal scale the worst, but i enjoy both. sor2 i'm a bit scared about, because my teacher's really unpredictable and goes off on massive tangents and it feels like he's really not teaching anything, but we've had some really good results - and i'm interested. eco, well, the only reason i'd keep it is because it scales well, and i need a high uai - teacher's not great, and it's good, but not my fav subject.

any brilliant people want to decide my subjects for next yr for me?! :)
I'd say drop SOR.

Ancient scales sort of neutral btw.

Therewego

HSC
Thanks so much for all the help guys,

Umm in terms of the difference in marks between legal and eco, guestimation of probably, lets see, 78% in eco (pushing it) and 85ish in legal? Like i said I enjoy Economics more though and its a better teacher.

Thanks Sonya but I can't drop RE (catholic school) and I personally believe 2 unit Religion to be the bludgiest HSC course available, well judging by prelim atleast, almost 0 effort has gained me and a few other close to 98-100%

And yeah I guess i'll try 13 and see how it goes.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Therewego said:
Thanks so much for all the help guys,

Umm in terms of the difference in marks between legal and eco, guestimation of probably, lets see, 78% in eco (pushing it) and 85ish in legal? Like i said I enjoy Economics more though and its a better teacher.

Thanks Sonya but I can't drop RE (catholic school) and I personally believe 2 unit Religion to be the bludgiest HSC course available, well judging by prelim atleast, almost 0 effort has gained me and a few other close to 98-100%

And yeah I guess i'll try 13 and see how it goes.
I was wactually replying to the other kid. But yeah, damn.

Do what you enjoy. You have to get through the next year with these subjects, and if you dislike one, it'll be a shitty year.
If you enjoy all 13 it'll rock.

Therewego

HSC
lol my bad yeah realised a little too late but eh still applied.

Yeah thanks anyways I'll decide between eco and legal, keep math and drop it if its too much to handle I guess,

One more question which is completely unrelated, I've heard ext History is the equivalent of 2-3 units of work and that its like really really hard.
I know it probably is but is it worth the effort if u love history?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Therewego said:
lol my bad yeah realised a little too late but eh still applied.

Yeah thanks anyways I'll decide between eco and legal, keep math and drop it if its too much to handle I guess,

One more question which is completely unrelated, I've heard ext History is the equivalent of 2-3 units of work and that its like really really hard.
I know it probably is but is it worth the effort if u love history?
Only if you're disorganised and don't like reading and big picture thinking.
Its alot of conceptual and like, philosophical learning, but totally mind blowing.

If you love history and are willing to eat breath shit cry and fuck history (as I am) its so incrediably worth it.

^^

Therewego

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Only if you're disorganised and don't like reading and big picture thinking.
Its alot of conceptual and like, philosophical learning, but totally mind blowing.

If you love history and are willing to eat breath shit cry and fuck history (as I am) its so incrediably worth it.

^^
lol quite disturbing but very useful advice :)

Thanks again, I'm hoping im up to the task of "eat breath shit cry and fuck history ", well, i'll do my best :)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Therewego said:
lol quite disturbing but very useful advice :)

Thanks again, I'm hoping im up to the task of "eat breath shit cry and fuck history ", well, i'll do my best :)
Hahaha. Its just very.. consuming. I walk in with 5 questions and walk out with 20.

Therewego

HSC
ahh ok yeah I know what you mean I've had that before with Ancient, definately sounds like a good thing though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)