• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Writing practice essays (1 Viewer)

d-alarmclock

HSC
Just wondering, about studying for English, I hear everyone is writing practice essays on belonging. I was wondering, how do you write an essay on general terms? I mean, how can you prepare an essay if you don't know what the topic is?

Also, what paragraph structure do you use? TEEL, PEEL SEXY, anything else?

such_such

HSC
Teachers say memorise different thesises and quotes then adapt them to the question. But from personal experience, in exam periods this is extremely difficult unless you have LOTS and LOTS of practice. This is too avoid people memorising their essays. But this method isn't for me.

For belonging, I would have a generic thesis + quotes then expand on it based on what the question asked. The minimum I got was 12/15 and that's kind of because I forgot parts of my essay. Get your teacher to mark lots of your essays as well! No point using a crap essay again and again. This is just a suggestion and it worked for me:)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
If you do go the "memorise generic essay" route, make sure to have a few extra paragraphs up your sleeve that you can use for more targetted questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)