• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why won't selective schools+top private schools have more subject accelerations (2 Viewers)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
if you had the ability to accelerate the maths faculty at ruse would rather you work on olympiad maths

olympiad medals more important than HSC to them
This is similar to Sydney Grammar in that sense where Sydney Grammar doesn't have acceleration but rather has "extension" for the gifted students

Likewise, those kids are missing out on the opportunity for acceleration (for those who wish to do acceleration) but can't they do acceleration and extension at the same time if they're that gifted

Same with Ruse, can't ruse do Olympiad and acceleration at the same time (for the students who wish to accelerate in maths)?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
If there weren't any timetabling issues, would schools be able to have more accelerations?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Accelerated Maths does not ALWAYS work. At my school, the other years had failed ACCEL.

D94

HSC
N/A
Accelerated Maths does not ALWAYS work. At my school, the other years had failed ACCEL.
Those students were not capable of accelerated maths to begin with. Capability doesn't just come down to how good they are at the subject, but also time management and focus. Accelerated subjects always works with capable students. You can't say it doesn't work when you have a group of incapable students.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Those students were not capable of accelerated maths to begin with. Capability doesn't just come down to how good they are at the subject, but also time management and focus. Accelerated subjects always works with capable students. You can't say it doesn't work when you have a group of incapable students.
Well that time, it was the top 20 students that made it in to accelerated. 98% of them dropped out, because they couldn't cope, the avg mark being 60%

But accelerated is really good.

D94

HSC
N/A
Well that time, it was the top 20 students that made it in to accelerated. 98% of them dropped out, because they couldn't cope, the avg mark being 60%

Like I said, they can be good at maths, but be poor at time management and focus. Also depends which year you start accelerated classes. When I was in school, we were invited at the start of Year 9, meaning we did our School Certificate in Year 9, and spent an actual 2 years on accelerated HSC.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Like I said, they can be good at maths, but be poor at time management and focus. Also depends which year you start accelerated classes. When I was in school, we were invited at the start of Year 9, meaning we did our School Certificate in Year 9, and spent an actual 2 years on accelerated HSC.
I would like to try an experiment where school kids try out accelerated Maths and English

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Then get them to repeat again, that way it won't affect the cohort average (I think)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Holy crap, only like 1-4 students remained?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
2. 1 was me but I dropped to cont my business studies
If this was a top 100 school, then that's pree disappointing lol but why did they choose to do it in the first place? did they consider any tutoring at all? What happens in a class with only 2 students? lol

si2136

HSC
N/A
If this was a top 100 school, then that's pree disappointing lol but why did they choose to do it in the first place? did they consider any tutoring at all? What happens in a class with only 2 students? lol
Because no one tried hard till yr 11

si2136

HSC
N/A
Should've gotten them to rethink that back in year 9/10. Were there any students forced to drop out?
No. No guys tried till yr 11 this yr, like seriously all the girls tried and it's all pointless.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
But at least they used acceleration to their advantage

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Just wondering but are there any schools out there which have at least 2 acceleration classes?

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Believe it or not but my school has accelerated EES and IPT...The only useful thing about acclerated EES is that it give you a rough idea on hsc sciences and improves scientific skills. This is in yr 9-10 so all the time in the world to study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)