• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why Medicine (2 Viewers)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
chicks... drugs...money... more drugs, then rehab, the alcohol, more chicks, then back to drugs.
eventually give that all up and drive a ferrari F430 spyder around looking pro. going at 20km/hr to save money on the petrol

i heard doing med improves your golf swing*

*don't ask, i dont get it myself

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
job stability

scrubs

and that VIP [Very Important Parking] space allocated to Doctors in some areas.

Hurri

HSC
Well i didn't want to be the average male doctor so i got my ear pierced and ill hang a big blingy stud off it for clubbing :D

As for the girls all over the doctors, it's pretty true. It happened last night at the Regatta Hotel, we were talking to these girls and the topic of what we're doing in uni /future etc came up. I said yea "imma be a doctor" and they're all like WOW! and then one of them began brushing away "lint" from my shoulders and chest and giving me sly looks everytime i saw her for rest of the ngiht. Of course, i wouldn't use my future profession to hook up with girls! *bursts out into an uncontrollable bout of laughter*

inasero

Reborn
HSC
haha yeah ill second that doing med gives alot of pulling power, although it'll probably become more apparent in the future once people seriously start thinking about a stable future and settling down

Breakingthegirl

HSC
Hurri=funny
what appeals most to me is the idea of curing the ill and having that reliable and superior knowledge that can be accessed in seconds! amazing...
i won't lie...i have a thirst for the respect and prestige that comes with the white coat, but this is secondary to my idealisitic fantasies about the glamour of the industry and about really making a difference...lol
i am very interested in the Doctors without Borders program also

lala2

Banned
HSC
breakingthegirl, a number of other white coat professions exist, not least scientists and pharmacists! (go the latter!). But I'm pleased to see that you wanna make a difference, not just graduate and earn money for the sake of doing so.

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
Pharmacists don't have the pulling power of doctors though, like in that ep of desperate housewives.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm you know the "difference" made seems infinitesimal at times. Granted, you could say there's the whole "it made a difference to that one" argument (that one being the guy you saved) but in the grand scheme of things, for every one you fix two more walk through the door, and they'll never stop. Medicine doesn't give you a cure, it just lets you maintain the steady state.

Hurri

HSC
I think what lex meant was that even if you find a cure to one particular illness, there'll be many more out there. So even on the research front, you're just keeping a steady state. Just try and picture a world without illness though...

nit

HSC
well what I think he meant in this case was more to do with clinical contact and how treatment of one patient will just keep the whole cycle ticking over. But then you can apply that principle on a larger scale for the research scenario I guess.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Hurri said:
I think what lex meant was that even if you find a cure to one particular illness, there'll be many more out there. So even on the research front, you're just keeping a steady state. Just try and picture a world without illness though...
i did but it made my medical degree useless..

btw i dun think a stud in ure ear makes u that different.. i use to have one >.<

couple of guys at uni hav more body piercings.. than ud expect..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha what is this, English Extension I?

All these people analysing my "piece" trying to discern "what the creator intended"...it's madness I tell you, madness!

Hurri

HSC
but Alvin! i thought Med people were surposed to be more conservative! i wanted to be the bad boy of Med! guess ill have to go and get Asclepius's staff with the two snakes tattoo'ed on my Bicep or something.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hahaha dun DO IT!??!

i kno others which hav thought about something similar.. lolz
wouldnt mind one.. cept on my shoulder..

hmmm i dunno .. we got a few guys with tatts already..

try again..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hurri said:
but Alvin! i thought Med people were surposed to be more conservative! i wanted to be the bad boy of Med! guess ill have to go and get Asclepius's staff with the two snakes tattoo'ed on my Bicep or something.
Pfft, the one with two snakes (and wings) is the Caduceus! Aesclepius' staff has nothing but a snake (see the WHO logo).

The Caduceus is actually the staff of Hermes (Greek god of messengers etc), and was only adopted as a symbol for Medicine when the stupid Americans couldn't get it right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)