• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Why is it so hard to find a job? (1 Viewer)

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Where did you do work experience? Nail place or a hair dresser's I bet. The guy already said he handed out 50+ resumes, and most of them get binned anyway, as opposed to showing persistance. I s'pose you could keep giving them resumes to show how much you *really* want the job, but that would look desperate over persistant.
Precisely.

I mean, I fail to see how well educated people (most of the people on this forum I'd bet) lose over to idiots in the ever-dwindling job market. If employers are 'struggling to fill jobs' then why aren't they advertising this or giving people more opportunity?

I had my JOES (Job Options Evaluation Session) for the Defence Force today. Aced it. The Army, Navy, and Air Force believe that I have the mental capacity to lead soldiers.

Then why don't employers believe I have the mental capacity to flip burgers?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
I had my JOES (Job Options Evaluation Session) for the Defence Force today. Aced it. The Army, Navy, and Air Force believe that I have the mental capacity to lead soldiers.

Then why don't employers believe I have the mental capacity to flip burgers?
Ahahahahahahahahaha

It's so true though. I don't understand why you'd honestly want to take a greasy 15 year old McBimbo over someone four years older with more work experience, cleaner hair, the ability to string coherent sentences together and nearly half a degree. Leaving out the cost/availability factor for a second there. Because, for real, if I was an employer I'd much rather take the better quality applicant who can only work 2-3 shifts a week over the random derelict who was hanging out smoking crack in the carpark when the 'help wanted' sign went up and figured the job would cover their habit, who can work every day because they have nothing better to do with their lives.

aileenli

HSC
Dream employee:

Person with no ambition in life or ability to move forwards and preferably no qualifications or education (so that they can be easily exploited)

I guess we're over-qualified to flip burgers (a job that requires no skill whatsoever apart from hand-eye coordination).

I know that my boss hates the fact that I can dont give a shit about my job because I'm doing uni.

On the other hand, I've never had an office job, because I have no experience in the office environment - which I'll never get because I've never had an office job...

Vicious cycle :(

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i don't want to be critical about this, but you guys seem very negative about getting a job that you like and stinking to it. i think a few near misses or failures got your confidence down and you've given up finding that job you've always wanted. well, you need to stop pointing the finger at someone else and look at yourself for the real reasons.

i don't know why an employer would "want to take a greasy 15 year old McBimbo over someone four years older with more work experience", but maybe it is the way that she made her qualities obvious during the interview, and you just hoped that your employer's magic eye could see the inner truth and somehow know that you've got the mental capacity to do the job.

interviews are funny times. in the space of 10-15min, you have to make the best impression of yourself to a complete stranger, and coincide with exactly what he/she is looking for. that in itself is a bit of an ask.

what TacoTerrorist referred to as JOES before, is a series of computer tests which basically get a brief insight into your mentality and intelligence. obviously the army can afford these things and they are sure as hell need it, (because they don't want some psycho holding a f89 or f88 in the front line). that way, they've cut down an enormous amount of interviewing. but an average business simply cannot afford that, so they rely on face values and what you tell them.

my point is, you can't blame the employer for not hiring you. obviously, they want the best people, and if they don't hire you, that means (unforunately) you are not the best person for that position. so try the next one.

PS. liz, if you are reading this, i hope that falls under your 'constructive' category. if not, i'd retire.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
i don't want to be critical about this, but you guys seem very negative about getting a job that you like and stinking to it. i think a few near misses or failures got your confidence down and you've given up finding that job you've always wanted. well, you need to stop pointing the finger at someone else and look at yourself for the real reasons.
I have 'looked at [my]self' and figured out that I'd be capable of putting some lettuce in a burger. My confidence is way down. My confidence in capable employers that is.

i don't know why an employer would "want to take a greasy 15 year old McBimbo over someone four years older with more work experience", but maybe it is the way that she made her qualities obvious during the interview, and you just hoped that your employer's magic eye could see the inner truth and somehow know that you've got the mental capacity to do the job.
It's flipping burgers and taking orders for Christ's sake. It's not rocket science. Hell, 90% of the time the retards at my local Hungry Jacks can't get a simple order right. What does that say about the type of people employers are hiring?

Sure, I might not be as outgoing as some of the younger ones, but I'd much rather deal with a genuine person who knows how to get an order right than some dumb, falsefully cheerful moron.

what TacoTerrorist referred to as JOES before, is a series of computer tests which basically get a brief insight into your mentality and intelligence. obviously the army can afford these things and they are sure as hell need it, (because they don't want some psycho holding a f89 or f88 in the front line). that way, they've cut down an enormous amount of interviewing. but an average business simply cannot afford that, so they rely on face values and what you tell them.
I have my VCE and two Certificates in Multimedia, I can read Arabic, I'm enrolling to become a Medic in the Reserves and I'm a full time university student. The 'average business' would - for some reason - rather take some uneducated dickhead who can't spell his own name right.

my point is, you can't blame the employer for not hiring you. obviously, they want the best people, and if they don't hire you, that means (unforunately) you are not the best person for that position. so try the next one.
Then employers have trouble getting their candidate priorities right.

But yeah, for me the absolute worst part is when employers don't acknowledge your application or give you a chance.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its simple

In places like McDonalds and retail etc university students are not an ideal candidate. Why you ask?
1. You are too old , why would they want you when they can get a 14 and 9 month old who works for basically nothing and who they can exploit. Younger kids are cheaper and have little knowledge about their rights.Plus they could get two of them to work for what they pay you!
2. Your availablity full time students cannot work as many hours or be as flexible as someone studying part-time or not studying at all. Plus then they have to worry about your changing timetable and exams etc!
3. Your intentions they know you'll only hang around while there are no better offers or you need the money. They can get someone who will stay longer because they dont have better prospects or are too young anf can stick around for a few years!

I suggest you look for something somewhat related to your field of study, most students do as it increases their experience and employability in the long run and many places like students studying their field as they have knowledge of it, require less training and are cheap. It says you are studying professional writing, go find something to do with writing or editting or something!

Chris.

HSC
i was like you, so i said "fuck it, ill work at maccas"

$15/hr casual for a 19 yr old for maccas is pretty good.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
If you seriously can't find someone to hire you, then there's something wrong with your resume.

I'd suggest, LIE in your resume to make it stand out. There's so many people that lie in their resume and ace at getting that job, compared to those who don't.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
JaredR said:
So it seems the verdict is unanimous - it's you.
TacoTerrorist said:
it also appears he is way above himself and won't admit it. now we know why he can't find a job and has to resort to the AR.

taco, you better get your attitude right, they won't put up with that kind of junk at the reserves. it is either 'yes sir' and you do it, or 'no sir' and you pack your bags, nothing in between.

TacoTerrorist said:
The 'average business' would - for some reason - rather take some uneducated dickhead who can't spell his own name right.

Then employers have trouble getting their candidate priorities right.
i bet that uneducated dickhead has a better attitude than you do, and obviously willing to learn, rather than your think-you-know-it-all mentality.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
wuddie, I don't think it has anything to do with that. I'm willing to do just about anything an employer asks of me short of blowing them in the coolroom. I don't know what you mean about "a better attitude" because I sure as hell don't think I know it all - I can't speak for TT but I'm sure he'd agree with me. I don't understand why a person's presentation, physically and verbally, seems to mean very little in comparison to age and availability. I would not hire someone who turned up to a job interview in jeans and thongs who spoke like a bogan. No joke, I went to an interview to work in a cafe a little while ago. Two other girls were there - one was dressed like me (tailored pants, nice shoes, blouse, etc) and spoke articulately when the owner asked her about her availability and experience. So did I. The other girl looked like she was dressed for the beach and talked like "um...yeah I reckon probably Tuesdays..." - But guess who was working there when I went past the next week. Yeah. See why people get annoyed?

aileenli

HSC
I guess she wouldn't stop short of blowing him in the coolroom....

TacoTerrorist

HSC
wuddie, I don't think it has anything to do with that. I'm willing to do just about anything an employer asks of me short of blowing them in the coolroom. I don't know what you mean about "a better attitude" because I sure as hell don't think I know it all - I can't speak for TT but I'm sure he'd agree with me. I don't understand why a person's presentation, physically and verbally, seems to mean very little in comparison to age and availability. I would not hire someone who turned up to a job interview in jeans and thongs who spoke like a bogan. No joke, I went to an interview to work in a cafe a little while ago. Two other girls were there - one was dressed like me (tailored pants, nice shoes, blouse, etc) and spoke articulately when the owner asked her about her availability and experience. So did I. The other girl looked like she was dressed for the beach and talked like "um...yeah I reckon probably Tuesdays..." - But guess who was working there when I went past the next week. Yeah. See why people get annoyed?
EXACTLY.

And aileenli, lmao.

it also appears he is way above himself and won't admit it. now we know why he can't find a job and has to resort to the AR.
I'm not way above myself. I have 'to resort to the AR?' The AR pays better than pretty much any job I could get at age 18.

taco, you better get your attitude right, they won't put up with that kind of junk at the reserves. it is either 'yes sir' and you do it, or 'no sir' and you pack your bags, nothing in between.
I AM willing to work, do what I'm told etc. The frustration arises when crap like this happens:

Two other girls were there - one was dressed like me (tailored pants, nice shoes, blouse, etc) and spoke articulately when the owner asked her about her availability and experience. So did I. The other girl looked like she was dressed for the beach and talked like "um...yeah I reckon probably Tuesdays..." - But guess who was working there when I went past the next week. Yeah. See why people get annoyed?

i bet that uneducated dickhead has a better attitude than you do, and obviously willing to learn, rather than your think-you-know-it-all mentality.
I am willing to learn and I expressed that in my interviews. I obviously don't know everything and I don't think I know everything. I just struggle to comprehend why I (and many others in my situation) can't get a job while people who are clearly morons can.

Gay Captain

HSC
maybe take "trained with al qaeda" out of the experience section of your resume :D

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
I'm not way above myself. I have 'to resort to the AR?' The AR pays better than pretty much any job I could get at age 18.
why don't you tell us how much they pay?

look guys, i am not here to criticise. i am trying to help. but you all seem to think you did bloody brilliantly at the interviews, up against someone of less intelligence and less willing to work, but somehow you lose out 9/10 times. i am quite certain that all those employers who didn't hire you must have a reason, it is not as if they just drew a name out of the hat.

the bottom line is, you will have stop blaming the other guy for your failed chances. you got no one else to blame except the guy in the mirror.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
^ k, thx. Perhaps employers should list their desired attributes in candidates or at the very least tell the people who lost out what they did wrong.

Rserves pay ~$110 for 6 hours, tax free.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
TacoTerrorist said:
^ k, thx. Perhaps employers should list their desired attributes in candidates or at the very least tell the people who lost out what they did wrong.

Rserves pay ~$110 for 6 hours, tax free.
will take you 6 months to complete all the steps before you start earning money in the reserves. minimum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)