• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

why do we electrolyse water? (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Any ideas? apart from trying to obtain oxygen and hydrogen? maybe something to do with industrial use?

appletooth

HSC
Perhaps the hydrogen obtained from the electrolysis of water can be used in the production of ammonia? (i.e. Haber process.) Ammonia can then be used to produce a multitude of things, like detergent or fertilisers.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Because it's the most practical and easiest way to demonstrate the separation of elements by electrolysis from a compound in a classroom? xD

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
appletooth said:
Perhaps the hydrogen obtained from the electrolysis of water can be used in the production of ammonia? (i.e. Haber process.) Ammonia can then be used to produce a multitude of things, like detergent or fertilisers.
ahh we havent learnt of that process yet..what module is that covered in? seems to make sense though.

minijumbuk said:
Because it's the most practical and easiest way to demonstrate the separation of elements by electrolysis from a compound in a classroom? xD
LOLL i bett mai teacher would crack up if i said that!

appletooth

HSC
clintmyster said:
ahh we havent learnt of that process yet..what module is that covered in? seems to make sense though.
HSC Course, Module 3. So I guess you don't really need to know what electrolysis is used for in year 11, just how it works.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I thought we learnt that electrolysis allows for extraction of more reactive elements in Metals. I think. :\
But not sure about uses for water, other than the fact that it's simple. :D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
appletooth said:
Using electrolysis to create ammonia is an expensive process.

Still, places like Iceland do it because they have lots of free electricity from geothermal and hydroelectric sources.

Iceland also uses electrolysis to produce raw hydrogen as a fuel. One of the few countries capable of doing so, again due to the cost.

wikipedia said:
To avoid transportation difficulties (it explodes a lot) hydrogen is produced on site using electrolysis to break down water into hydrogen and oxygen. All of the energy used to produce the hydrogen comes from Iceland’s renewable energies and the full cycle of energy, from the water to the hydrogen in the fuel cells, emits no CO<sub>2</sub>.
The product of burning hydrogen is water. :)

Similarly, Iceland is one of the few countries that does aluminium smelting (very energy intensive).

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
appletooth said:
It is far more economical to produce hydrogen from methane.

Methane Cleaning
CH3SH + H2 --> CH4 + H2S
H2S + ZnO --> ZnS + H2O

Hydrogen Production
CH4 + H2O --> CO + 3H2
CH4 + 1/2O2 --> CO + 2H2
CH4 + 2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O

Water Gas Shift
CO + H2O --> CO2 + H2 high temperature
CO + H2O --> CO2 + H2 low temperature

Removal of CO2
K2CO3 + H2O + CO2 --> 2KHCO3

CO2 Recycling
CO2 + 4H2 --> CH4 + 2H2O

Slidey said:
Similarly, Iceland is one of the few countries that does aluminium smelting (very energy intensive).
I was always told that aluminium was too reactive to be smelted so instead it is electrolysed from a molten salt.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)