• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which of these subjects should I do for HSC? (1 Viewer)

Deathless

HSC
Hey, so pretty much I'm choosing my HSC subjects in 3 or so weeks and I need some serious help. So far I've got 10 units:
-Advanced English (2 units)
-Studies of Religion I (1 unit, Catholic school)
-Mathematics (2 units)
-PDHPE (2 units)
-Modern History (2 units)
-Sports, Lifestyle & Recreation (1 unit)

So I need 1 more 2 unit subject. From what I've understood my school won't let me do any more than 12 units unless I do an extension subject and although I'm one A off a straight A report I really don't want to do an extension subject. (Except maybe history in year 12)

So these are the subjects that I was considering for my final 2 unit one. I'm considering high school PDHPE teaching or joining the Navy or Police Force after school. Btw, I got my subject handbook yesterday and this changed my mind about a few things:

-Legal Studies (didn't really care for it until yesterday. Now it looks really interesting and could be useful for Policing or Navy)
-Entertainment VET (I kinda want to do a VET course and this is the only one that interests me)
-Ancient History (maybe even instead of modern?)
-Drama (i did it in year 9 and just finished working on a school musical. Despite dropping it at the beginning of this year I miss it quite a bit)
-Information Processes Technology (I like computers but I'm not sure about the subject)
-Biology (I know its kinda prerequisite (sorry I can't spell)for PE teaching but is it really as boring as it seems in the book?)
-Industrial Technology - Multimedia (not that I care much for scaling but it seems to scale really bad and I've been told it's not much fun either)
-Earth & Environmental Science (I've been told though there's a lot about rocks, is this true?)
-Society & Culture (I don't really know much about the subject but so far it seems okay)

I'd love to hear anyones opinion on these subjects or even those that I've already decided on. I'm alright at writing so it shouldn't be too much of a problem if the subject has a lot of writing (i've been told Modern History does) I'm really sorry if I've broken any rules or anything - first day so I'm a bit lost. Thanks :)
Picking subjects is subjective.

For subjects relevant to a career in high school PDPHE, policing or the navy:

- Legal Studies (a introduction to some legal concepts)
- IPT (computing skills is nice)

Gigacube

HSC
Isn't Information Software and Technology the non-ATAR one?
Sorry I meant to say Information Processes Technology not Information Software Technology. I only just noticed, oops. There is Software Design and Development (my school doesn't do it) so maybe that's the non-ATAR one? or Information Software Technology is the year 9 and 10 one
No, both IPT & SDD go towards your ATAR. IST is the year 9 & 10 subject so that obviously doesn't go towards an ATAR.

There is an HSC course called 'Computing Applications' which is a Content Endorsed Course and does not go towards an ATAR.

Gigacube

HSC

Huh? IPT isn't computing skills. It's information systems. Mainly theory.

HSC

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
I haven't really cause I suck at physics and chemistry. Bio and (well up until I heard about all the rock stuff) Earth and Environmental are the only types of science that i find kinda interesting.
ohok, If you're interested in the rock stuff, you should choose Earth and Environmental studies over Bio, cuz there's only 1-2 topics in bio year 11 that focuses on rocks but in year 12, it all changes to the like body functions, genetic stuff, diseases. Although the 3rd topic for bio year 12 " The search for better health" would prob benefit you for PDHPE as it goes intodepth about epidemiology, which you'll learn in PDHPE, but other than that you're better off doing Earth and environmental science. Also please look at the syllabus:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/earth-env-science-st6-syl-from2010.pdf

HSC
Sorry, I mean I was interested in Earth and Environmental science but then I heard that there was soo much about rocks and so now I'm not really interested in it. Sorry I can be so bad at explaining things sometimes but thanks anyway for the help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)