• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Where and how much do you tip? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Simple.

Coffeeshop- tip any silver change from the rounded to nearest 50c amount IF sugar is put into my t/a coffee when requested (maybe more if they remember my name/order). I do NOT appreciate it when they say they're too busy or they point to the sugar pile. I'm paying $3-4 for something which costs them <50c to make, they can put sugar in. And of course when I get to free coffee time, I aim to tip the price of the coffee subject to coins availability in my bag.

Restaurants- tip the higher of 10% of the meal bill or the amount required to round the bill upto the nearest $5. Exception to this is if I'm eating at a small asian shop or something in which case it's typically not expected and I'll just tip any coin change (which is essentially rounded upto nearest $5 unless I paid with coins). Special service (such as checking on my meal or remembering special niceties, or taking a photo of my gf and me) usually yield bigger tips (typically another $5-10 depending on size of meal).

Bars- I don't feel the need to tip anything more than coin change since drinks are quite expensive. That being said this isn't usually needed since I have private bar tabs with the bars I frequent.

EDIT (to add more)
Taxis- round up to nearest $5 (typically paid via card) unless the driver was rude, disgusting, or did something else to annoy me (e.g. talk on his own phone loudly throughout the convo)
Only thing is, the people in hospitality at the bars, restaurants and coffeeshops aren't the ones making the profit from the coffee/drinks/food. :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Only thing is, the people in hospitality at the bars, restaurants and coffeeshops aren't the ones making the profit from the coffee/drinks/food. :p
Of course but you expect a certain level of service if you are at a premium restaurant- I'm not going to tip someone for doing the basics of their job especially if I'm paying $40pp or more.

You tip when the wait staff have gone above and beyond what is expected.

dog on heat

check it out uh uh uh uh
HSC
if i tip like 50c at somewhere

then next time i buy a drink its like umm can i fish my 50c out so i can use that for my drink plz lol

dog on heat

check it out uh uh uh uh
HSC
i always tip the shit out of taxis btw

one time the driver gave me his number and was like

any time ur in the city call me plz and i'l send u home

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC

Yeah, taxi's DON'T charge enough. So giving them more money seems logical. Besides, everyone want's the personal number of a taxi driver...lucky you

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Fuck. I'd give that taxi driver $100 on the spot if it meant I would never have to wait around in the city for a taxi.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You guys don't catch cabs very often do you? They're looking for regular business from decent customers (rather than relying on their radio to get new jobs).

e.g. I had to go out to a client in Alexandria everyday for several months and the cabby offered me his direct # on a nicely printed business card and said if I tell him what time I finish work each day, or call him whenever, he'd come pick me up immediately. Definitely worthwhile and makes things a hella lot easier especially since taxis don't go by the industrial areas too often outside of normal working hours.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You guys don't catch cabs very often do you? They're looking for regular business from decent customers (rather than relying on their radio to get new jobs).

e.g. I had to go out to a client in Alexandria everyday for several months and the cabby offered me his direct # on a nicely printed business card and said if I tell him what time I finish work each day, or call him whenever, he'd come pick me up immediately. Definitely worthwhile and makes things a hella lot easier especially since taxis don't go by the industrial areas too often outside of normal working hours.
Nah, you're right, I don't. I'm only usually there for parties that end really late. [Since most of my friends live out in the East or are in the City].

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Btw when I say decent customers, I mean reliable, always-paying, clean, etc... i.e. those who pay the fare and don't cause trouble.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Are you saying I'm not? :(
I pay, I drink a bit, but nowhere near enough to be classified as drunk, I don't even think I cross the tipsy line. :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Taxi drivers won't give out their # if you're a trouble maker... and they prefer regular business from people who respect them (e.g. no chucking in the car!), and aren't runners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)