• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Whats Wrong With Speeches?? (1 Viewer)

kalinda

HSC
i have no idea what to write for pearson, levertov and Aung San Suu because we didnt cover them that well in class
ne thing you can tell me about these would be great help

nomz

arrgggghhh! I hate the speeches! if they don't specify which one's would you recommend writing about? What exactly should we be focussing on- i don't undestand the purpose of this unit of study at all!

concession

Respected Member
HSC
a breif summary about what each one is about would help

i dont have timeeeeee

FcUk

whos screwed if they ask a specific speech??
i sure am i dont even think i could write a page but i chose to focus on levertov and havel that way im familiar with a few more speeches coz king, keating and lincoln im fairly familiar with so now that 5/12 :( ill be happy with >13/20

lalaynie

i am so screwed if they specify!!
i just rang the advice line thing and the lady said its 'unlikely' they will specify because the hsc aims to gets what you know instead of tricking you, BUT they might specify the more popular speeches - king, keating, lincoln....
So either way, if they specify i am completely screwed, ive prepared 5 of the speeches, but alongside in the wild and powerplay, its so hard to remember! I HATE SPEECHES!!!

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
Hey ppl

You know how they specify use 2 speakers at least (most of the time)

well how many are you going to use anyway?
i have 3 that i have incorporated into an essay , but i can manipulate it into 2

so would you use 2 or 3? , is it like AOS where they say use at least 1 related material but often people using 2 will be better off or whatever......

lalaynie

well our teachers told us 3, and the lady then on advice line said 3...
but i guess if it just says and ONE other text then you only use one.....
but the past exams when they didnt specify a speech they said only 2.... so if it says that id rather do 2 then get too keen and do 3...

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
4 or 5 is best and preferably ones you can pair up eg i'm focusing on lincoln, king, keating, atwood and aung san (q - what do we use as her surname when referring to her and we don't want to write out the whole thing?) have a look at anti's pairings elsehwhere on this forum, i found them very helpful.

lincoln + king - famous ideological orations by americans wishing to effect socio-political change

lincoln + keating - short and sweet, commemoration of fallen soldier(s), national leaders speaking to The People

atwood + aung san - preprepared, addressing conference, social/cultural rather than overtly political, chiefly concerned with women

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
welshi said:
aung san (q - what do we use as her surname when referring to her and we don't want to write out the whole thing?)
I asked and was told that you can call her Aung San or Suu Kyi or a variation of that if you want, the marker is just looking to see whether you've included the information. You could always write her name out once and then just use 'she'. :)

I don't know which ones I'm going to use yet. Whatever best suits the question, and whatever I can remember the most about.
It depends on whether we need to contrast or say what's distinctive, or whether it's just how the speaker achieves their purpose.

If anyone would like to post something about the ideas behind the different 'readings' of speeches I'd be grateful, I didn't know what they were or that we had to talk about them until the other day and so I'm quite confused. :confused:

7bonita7

k. so people are having problems with the unfamiliar speeches
i'll attach my notes on speeches they are a bit long, but are easy to read so if you want them take a look

most people think that they will only specify the well known. my personal oppinion is they wont specify and if they do it will be an unknown one. just a thought

if they do not specify you will most probably asked to write of TWO in regards to the question. pick two that can interlink and bounce off eachother in related issues, that way its easier to remember the context and themes, and it wont be too stressful.
categories i place them in is...
Speaking to the People: Lincoln and Keating
On Trial: Socrates and Goldman
The Lawyer and the Preacher: Cicero and King
Exclusion and Inclusion: Pearson and Suu Kyi
Finding the Balance: McAleese and Levertov and Havel
Women in Literature: Atwood and (Pearson)

And i'm sure you've been told this many times before last years question was

Compose an argument for or against the topic:
‘That every text has its use-by date.’
Consider your prescribed text’s ideas, language and form, and its reception in different contexts.
You must refer to at least TWO speeches.

so hopefully its similar.

thats all i can remember of your questions
so post more

welshi

HSC
midnight said:
I asked and was told that you can call her Aung San or Suu Kyi or a variation of that if you want, the marker is just looking to see whether you've included the information. You could always write her name out once and then just use 'she'. :)

I don't know which ones I'm going to use yet. Whatever best suits the question, and whatever I can remember the most about.
It depends on whether we need to contrast or say what's distinctive, or whether it's just how the speaker achieves their purpose.

If anyone would like to post something about the ideas behind the different 'readings' of speeches I'd be grateful, I didn't know what they were or that we had to talk about them until the other day and so I'm quite confused. :confused:
dear god if we have to do that i'm fuct.

7bonita7

oh and i know i spelt speeches wrong in my attachment
so dont think i dont know anything in regards to english
i just already had a file with the name speeches so yea

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Wat i really neeed, desperatley, is notes that talk about RECEPTION IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS.

Those four words have been the bane of my life for the past year, i hate them!

welshi

HSC
7bonita7 said:
And i'm sure you've been told this many times before last years question was

Compose an argument for or against the topic:
‘That every text has its use-by date.’
Consider your prescribed text’s ideas, language and form, and its reception in different contexts.
You must refer to at least TWO speeches.
we did that as a spoken assessment last term. not fun. most ppl said something along the lines of either:

yes texts have useby dates - once their original purpose does not exist anymore (eg. levertov = vietnam war -> over) they were irrelevant

no they don't - the ideas contained within them are eternal therefore they retain their relevance.

the amount of bad dairy puns was painful.

kalinda

HSC
basically u think of the values of the text and the main ideas
then you put tese values in a totally different context and what would be the reception of it.
example
Paul Keating deals with being Australian and the Australia spirit - the people of this time received it well and believed in what he was saying
now a person in 2002 who is against the war on terrorism might not receive the speech well stating that there is no Australian/Anzac spirit when we go off to war with innocents and kill for Bush
does this help?

7bonita7

townie said:
RECEPTION IN DIFFERENT CONTEXTS.

Those four words have been the bane of my life for the past year, i hate them!
k well, all i can really give you on that is...
reception in different contexts is asking how the original audience percieved it and how we percieve it
for example- in noel pearsons speech, he makes refernce to some key issues revolving around the wik and mabo case for instance or other refernces he makes to senators and chancellors: now we think so what?? and thats the point of the question, his speech is not very well recieved by us, because unless we have a key interest in aboriginal rights movements or anything it is very unlikely his speech will even rate on the care factor
no unlike pearson, king uses a wide range of imagery and symbolism that still becomes relevant to us and therefore we identify with that eg "i have a dream" as cliche as that is, we relate well and therefore recieve the speech well

so it depends on the audience and times. our receptions can be changed in regards to the contexts of speech and use of their techniques
hope that helps

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Here's my "Study Guide".

It should be of infinite amounts of help. It details 6 speakers, if anyone has a document which covers the other 6 be sure to post it.

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
awww why do you all post this up after ive done my speeches essay :p ;)

jk guys great job, its very nice of u to donate

Ziff

HSC
N/A
7bonita7 said:
k well, all i can really give you on that is...
reception in different contexts is asking how the original audience percieved it and how we percieve it
for example- in noel pearsons speech, he makes refernce to some key issues revolving around the wik and mabo case for instance or other refernces he makes to senators and chancellors: now we think so what?? and thats the point of the question, his speech is not very well recieved by us, because unless we have a key interest in aboriginal rights movements or anything it is very unlikely his speech will even rate on the care factor
no unlike pearson, king uses a wide range of imagery and symbolism that still becomes relevant to us and therefore we identify with that eg "i have a dream" as cliche as that is, we relate well and therefore recieve the speech well

so it depends on the audience and times. our receptions can be changed in regards to the contexts of speech and use of their techniques
hope that helps
Yeah, the way that I've interpreted "reception in a range of contexts" is to incorporate the effects of certain techniques across a wide range of audences.

In Keating's speech he says something to the effect of "this is not the Australia they knew" and sends a message that Australia is multicultural. This is because the issue being discussed - Wars - are going to be sensitive because we now have people from cultures that Australians would have faught 25 years ago even. So the way the speech is constructed is to give credence to all in society and not just the Anglo-Saxon view. (Of course if you wanted to be political you would launch into a polemic about how under Howard's vision of Australia this is now different but of course this would yield little, if any, marks.)

It's also good in "I have a Dream" because King uses a variety of wide-ranging metaphors concerning the banking system - "blank cheque" (I'll be damned to write in that bastardised version of English!) - and he evokes a lot of emotions and images as he lists famous American landmarks. All of these help it appeal to a wide range of contexts.

On the otherhand you have speeches like Noel Pearson's and Mararget Atwood's which appeal to a certain narrow group of people. So you could make comment on how these speeches don't have a wide reach and in other contexts wouldn't be recieved as well as some of the others.

Generally, all the questions ask you to address this in someform or another. It's not difficult though because they usually just ask something like "how does place, context, audience etc shape a speech" or "the nature of the audience affects how speeches are valued".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)