• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What to learn? (1 Viewer)

frog1944

HSC
Hi,

I'm currently in year 11 and love maths! I'm wanting to go ahead and do some extension 2 topics (I've already done complex numbers), that way when I get to it and it counts I should go well.

What topics would you recommend (I'm not afraid to take on anything to hard) that would get me ahead?
Should I do the easy topics or the hard ones, that way I crack the tough nuts before I have to?
Anything else I should know about going ahead?

Thanks

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Graphs and conics
Integration if you have a strong grip on basics of calculus.

gandalfbrah

HSC
Polynomials graphs and integration are probably the easier 4unit topics whilst mechanics/harder 3u/volumes may be considered on the harder end in terms of potential difficulty of questions, i think getting the easier topics out of the way leaving more time to grasp harder concepts would be beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

integral95

HSC
Polynomials graphs and integration are probably the easier 4unit topics whilst mechanics/harder 3u/volumes may be considered on the harder end in terms of potential difficulty of questions, i think getting the easier topics out of the way leaving more time to grasp harder concepts would be beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seeing as the person is in year 11 it's unlikely OP would know the integration basics yet, (unless OP is accelerated).

I would recommend graphs, and some polynomials, (assuming you've learned most of the theorems in 3U).

frog1944

HSC
Thanks guys, I'll give those a go. But because I have more time on my hands at the moment wouldn't it be better to do the harder topics now?
If I learn integration what should I tackle next?
Do you guys have any suggestions in which order to learn them (is there a particular nice flow from topic to topic?)?

leehuan

HSC
Thanks guys, I'll give those a go. But because I have more time on my hands at the moment wouldn't it be better to do the harder topics now?
If I learn integration what should I tackle next?
Do you guys have any suggestions in which order to learn them (is there a particular nice flow from topic to topic?)?
Generally the harder topics require you to know your basics well enough before you can even properly do them.

frog1944

HSC
What are considered the basics for the harder topics?

frog1944

HSC
What would be considered the basics for mechanics and volumes?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
What would be considered the basics for mechanics and volumes?
You would also need to know 4U Integration to do those topics. (A lot of the questions in those topics are just applications of integration, requiring 4U Integration methods like Integration By Parts, partial fractions, etc.)

frog1944

HSC
Ok, thanks. Should I learn integration and then go onto the harder extension 2 topics rather than doing polynomials and graphs?

si2136

HSC
N/A
Ok, thanks. Should I learn integration and then go onto the harder extension 2 topics rather than doing polynomials and graphs?
Learn the whole 3U topic. It's the foundation for 4U. Self-teaching yourself 4U has a limit if you are not familiar with 3U.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
No. Usually polynomials and graphs don't have integration. You can easily learn graphs after understanding domains, ranges, turning points, stat points, etc. pretty much just understand how curves work, and you just learn how to transform them.

Polynomials is fairly easy but probably need 3U polynomials at the least.

Why not work ahead into your 3U so you can actually get better marks by starting early? And then if you have the time, or you're already finished 3U, start 4U.

frog1944

HSC
Finish the prelim 3 unit course or the whole 3 unit course?
@si2136 the whole 3 unit integration topic?

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Probably Prelim 3U.

As what my school did was that we pretty much did 1 term of HSC 3U and then the rest 4U.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Finish the prelim 3 unit course or the whole 3 unit course?
@si2136 the whole 3 unit integration topic?
Just finish everything.

That's what I did before moving on to 4U Complex #

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)