• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What to do? (1 Viewer)

Mithoric

HSC
Ok, I'm looking at a UAI of 80 tops. I've screwed up royal. I wanted to do programming, it's the one thing that I (modesty aside) could probably kick anyone in the state in (for this year, and probably will in the software exam) but I've slacked off and lost so many marks for assessments in english and economics that I just don't know what to do. My teachers and year advisor have always been saying I'm doing so well but I looked at the assessment rankings and I'm getting smashed..

I have to pull off a miracle in the HSC to get in the low 80s!

Anyways, I think programming is out of the window for me now.

I was thinking I might repeat but I'd probably feel so stupid, although I'd top the year easy ;) ...

Anyways, I'm also pretty good and interested in physics and chemistry. If I get 82 I can do chemical engineering I think.

I was told that once you have done a year you can pickup a different subjects or something, so you don't need the UAI to do it.. but that doesn't sound right to me!

What should/could I do? My sister did some tafe course and then whent to uni ... Is this an option?

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
miricles consisting of crammin and caning trials and HSC would be good atm..

even a B.Sci degree could save u..
remember there is always other engineering which start around 70ish.. that would suit u.. just transfer w/ a good uni average..?
look at ALL the unis closely.. :) uni will be more fun cos u do the stuff u lik

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
no wayy it's sooo early!!

you can't be that beaten!

i got a uai estimate of 68 i think it was ... i got 20.95 more!

have faith! and smash ur trials and hsc!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
It's not a good move to trust to a transfer etc, what if you don't do as well as you expected and get locked into some course that your not particulary interested in?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
But you can do an IT course for lower at some of the regional universities and then try and transfer back to the city perhaps.

All is not lost, the trials and the HSC can erase any screw ups you have made so far.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Don't despair man. I fucked up most of my assessments for STANDARD English and some assessments for other subjects, but if you hit a good note for the Trials and HSC, you're in for some real luck.

Overall, I put in a medicre effort for the HSC, and I still got around 90. Just study hard for the Trials and HSC.

Mithoric

HSC
But you can do an IT course for lower at some of the regional universities and then try and transfer back to the city perhaps.
Well I live in Bathurst, CSU is pretty rural.

What course do you want to do, most computer science degrees allow portfolio entry.
Sounds interesting, how does it work?

Well if you think I can get something good by smashing the trials and HSC I should do alright, I was just about to start cramming tonight.

santaslayer

HSC
You present the uni with work that you have done that is related/relavent to your desired degree. Music/drama/art courses typically select students on these basis. (Along with a minimal UAI). :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Comp Sci @ UOW = 77 or something low.

santaslayer

HSC
That's only the 'advertised' UAI! It can actually go much lower if there is evidence of solid SDD/IPT/IT marks in school!. :p

Same thing with ICT @ UoW. I have friends that got mid band 6's in these relavent courses but a UAI that has fallen short of the cutoff. They still got in. This is only for the computing courses at UoW. I haven't heard of any similar cases in other degrees. :p

77.00 may be low for you Ziff. Stop bragging. :p

Mithoric

HSC
77? Well, that makes me feel a lot better. So say I did that, and did it well as I am sure I would, I can just transfer to another course after a certain amount of time?

Mithoric

HSC
I want to do either Software Engineering at UNSW or Games Technology at CSU. I didn't see any portfolio entry things at either of their websites.

santaslayer

HSC
Yes, your UAI, UMAT, STAT and interviews are the only real restrictions. Other then that, your completel free to change into any course you are after. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)