• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What to do to get chosen for Prefect + without over doing it? (2 Viewers)

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
To me, prefect is one of those things where if you genuinely want to do it, you try out, hope for the best, and if you don't get it, then that's cool too. Being all try-hard and bitchy about it will get you no where. There is no way to make people vote for you. It comes from years and years of just being you that will get votes. Saying that, these processes are heavily rigged by teachers. I know at my school, although students and teachers vote, the principal gets the last say about who is the 'pin-up'.
I totally agree.

There's around 150 girls in my grade, and about 130 of those put their names down to be a prefect (not me though). And there's only 20 spots i think.
God, there's going to be 110 weeping year 11 girls when the prefect lists are posted up.

dancing_mermaid

HSC
i had to collect the votes once, and i've found it's best to be friendly and well known (by name, not just face) by ALL the teachers, not just the important ones, and the canteen ladies, because for some reason they get three votes (at my school anyway) and the staffrooms don't wait and discuss who to give their votes to, whoever's there just picks a few names (each faculty has a set number of votes depending how many teachers there are at my school, so everywhere else is probs different)
most schools give students a vote, too, though, so i don't really know what to do about that...

good luck! and prefectship isnt douche-y... all the prettiest people at school are one.

samthebear

HSC
i had to collect the votes once, and i've found it's best to be friendly and well known (by name, not just face) by ALL the teachers, not just the important ones, and the canteen ladies, because for some reason they get three votes (at my school anyway) and the staffrooms don't wait and discuss who to give their votes to, whoever's there just picks a few names (each faculty has a set number of votes depending how many teachers there are at my school, so everywhere else is probs different)
most schools give students a vote, too, though, so i don't really know what to do about that...

good luck! and prefectship isnt douche-y... all the prettiest people at school are one.
lol the canteen ladies get a vote? haha thats so awesome :haha: i'm like on first name basis with all the canteen ladies XDD imma +repp you lol

dancing_mermaid

HSC
lol the canteen ladies get a vote? haha thats so awesome :haha: i'm like on first name basis with all the canteen ladies XDD imma +repp you lol
the canteen ladies thing might just be my school, and i know they've redone the system since, but they got 10 then - equal to the maths and english departments.

and thanks, i think, i'm still not sure what repping is, but it sounds nice. :tongue:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well at my school, I think the teachers just pick out of who nominates, if we have an election I think the teachers end up picking anyway. At my school , the prefects don't do alot, they get a special ceremony and it's an honour type thing. The prefects then vote for the vice captains and captains amongst themselves. The captains do most of the work, the vice captains a little but the prefects mostly don't do alot. My sister and brother were prefects and they didn't have to do much, just got a badge.

angelarr

HSC
We voted for our prefects in week 8, and I think our prefect body is going to work really well together.
I don't think that anything you say/do now and leading up to the vote will really make that much of a difference. At our school, teachers and students had up to 25 votes each. As someone said before, it's really just being yourself over the years and showing people all the way that you're capable and passionate. It's not just the few weeks leading up to elections that you show that you're passionate because quite often it doesn't really have much effect.
Also, asking people to vote for you isn't that effective either. If they're going to vote for you, they will regardless of whether you ask them or not. There was a girl in my grade who offered lollies and asked people to vote for her.. well that didn't really happen unfortunately for her.
So to the OP, I don't think you really need to do anything besides be yourself. If you get it, that's great! If you don't, that's bad luck, but you'll get over it alot faster than you think you will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)