• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What matters more? (1 Viewer)

SuzWooz

HSC
I was wondering if the mark you get in an assessment or your rank matters more? Because my ranking in class is rather good, but my marks are not the best in a couple of my subjects.

lychnobity

HSC
There are so many goddamned things to explain just to answer this question.

Usually rank, but if you're say 1st, but your mark in assessments is 65, and you get 60 in the HSC exam, that's not too good. So in this instance (good rank, crap marks) you're stuffed.

Bad Rank, Good Mark
If you're getting 85+, but you're ranking is like 50th, it's alright because that would mean the people above are much better. A good UAI is possible.

As someone explained before, the 1st person gets the best mark, the last person gets the worst, and the rest are rationed marks according to the gaps between them.

SuzWooz

HSC
Ok i see. Im asking because in my entire year there are barely 30 kids, so the classes for each subject are pretty small. So your rank isnt really that amazing when there are only 9 kids in one class.

For me, my rank and assessment marks are (from my H/Y)...

- English Adv
- English Ext.
- Greek Cont.
- Greek Ext.
- Society and Culture
- Visual Arts

From that, what would they look at more? My mark, or rank?

Last edited:

sickk

HSC
rank rank always rank.

they take your school marks, eg your 82 in VA and look at ur HSC external mark, which might be 90. And they will say "ohh, her teacher must have marked quite hard, lets bump it up to 90"

On the other hand... 82 in VA, and in the hsc you only got 75... "damn, her teacher is an easy marker, lets knock it down to 75"

(very basically)

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Rank because not every school assesses their students the same difficulty.

SuzWooz

HSC
Yeah now i get it, thank you. Its true some teachers are tougher at marking than others, i've noticed this when i have given the same piece of writing to 2 different teachers.

One more thing, with the results that i got for my trials, what do you think my UAI will be? Im aiming for 90+

lychnobity

HSC
Hard to say because your cohort seems small, and these groups are hard to guess.

But, I'd say you could manage about a 90, give or take 2/3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)