• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

what kind of productions? (1 Viewer)

dragonsgirl

HSC
do u think in an essay i am writing on king lear should i go with femanist and marixst productions or go with an essay where i talk about specific producers such as eyre, brooke etc.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
1. eyre is, at least in part, based on a feminist reading
2. if you talk about a production you have to say who the producer was --> the point you're trying to get across is:
a) what techniques have they used that create a reading/interpretation?
b) what is/are this/these interpretation(s)/reading(s)?
c) how do these reflect the context/purpose of the text?

eg. for Eyre's production you could talk about psychological, domestic or feminist readings. say you talked about psychological. you would need to pick techniques, so you could talk about, uh, costuming and actor movement in the 'division of the kingdom' scene, describe the relevant points and explain how this creates a freudian reading where goneril is the mother figure, reagan is the lover figure and cordelia is the death goddess. then you could talk about how this reflects modern philosophy and what it tells us about Lear's character

is that any help or just more confusing?

dragonsgirl

HSC
yeh i sorta get it, i think i will just stick to the different kinds of productions by the producers and how they interpret their ideas. hey do u think they will ask a question about characters and that? cos in my trials it asked me to write a letter to a drama teacher saying why i would want to play reagan and write all about her and i had no idea cos i didn;t even really study the characters just all the different productions and stuff

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
In the HSC, I'm focusing on the Aristotilean reading of Richard Eyre's King Lear and the Nihilistic reading of Peter Brook's King Lear.

The two are pretty much a contrast of each other and techniques for these two readings are plentiful.

For my own interpretation I'm doing a Nihilistic one fueled by terrorism in today's society and the break-down of socio-economic structures that is caused by terrorism

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
dragonsgirl said:
yeh i sorta get it, i think i will just stick to the different kinds of productions by the producers and how they interpret their ideas. hey do u think they will ask a question about characters and that? cos in my trials it asked me to write a letter to a drama teacher saying why i would want to play reagan and write all about her and i had no idea cos i didn;t even really study the characters just all the different productions and stuff
well, it's not as likely that they would ask this, but, yes, there is the possibility. Just remember, no matter the question, the rubric essentially doesn't change - which means you're still going to be marked on context-based material. So, if you got a question like the letter you were talking about, you could approach it by saying that you want to play Reagan because of the wide variety of messages that can be conveyed through the character. You could speak of how you feel you would be best in the role as you could bring a variety of interpretations to the play - this would be your lead-in to discuss context and techniques and the interplay between them and readings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)