• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Weapons of Math Instruction (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Well, I thought it was quite clever of me to remember it did hyperbolic trig ratios, considering we don't do hyperbolic trig till uni. :(

Rumour: Didn't. It's my mum's old one. If you're interested, though, I suggest trying a second-hand store first, maybe? This is the most awesome slide rule in existence, but it'd cost you like $100 to get it shipped to Australia: http://www.concise.co.jp/eng0731/circle02.html#04

"Especially designed for professionals, this circular slide rule enables you to make various calculations ranging from general multiplication and division to the square root, cube root, trigonometric function and even logarithm and descending series."

It only costs, like, $30, but plus shipping that'd be something like $130. I'm so much of a geek that I've actually considered buying it - on the grounds that I make $130 in one week's work.

Concise is pretty much the only company in the world that makes slide rules anymore, I think.

Oh, and slide rules aren't hard to use. They might look it, but anybody who has used one for as long as they have used a calculator (or less) can do calculations faster in most cases than a person with a calculator.

J

jhakka

The calculator is my friend when it gives me the right answers.

rumour

HSC
Slide Rule said:
It only costs, like, $30, but plus shipping that'd be something like $130. I'm so much of a geek that I've actually considered buying it - on the grounds that I make $130 in one week's work.
Only?
Don't you already have one?

I think I'll pass...........

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I have one. Not the one there.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
I hate radians. And i blame the calculator when it doesn't automatically switch between rads and degrees for me. I mean, who ever uses radians anyway? (don't reply to that)

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Whoops! Sorry moonie, i wasn't meant to post here with that quote as my sig was i?
*evil cackle!*

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
tina_goes_doo said:
I hate radians. And i blame the calculator when it doesn't automatically switch between rads and degrees for me. I mean, who ever uses radians anyway? (don't reply to that)
I know you said not to reply to it. But you should use SI units ;)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Haha, I knew one of you maths people would bump this again, the thread still cracks me up. :D

sja

dingleberry
HSC
dude if you found this funny you have serious social issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)