• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

wat mark is considered good? in MX2 (1 Viewer)

HSC
In fact, doesn't board people work out cutoffs for each band using standards packages and other things? Perhaps Linear interpolation is used for marks in between bands, and not for the band cutoffs?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
No, I cannot see anything wrong with your calculations, Rench. Sorry if I implied that. I just find it hard to believe that the cut-off is anything less than about 70/120.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
theres books when marks were revealed in the old hsc that tell us the highest lowest average etc etc..
(lowest is pretty boring ... 1... 2. ... 2. ... 2... 1 something stupid like that)

the lowest average was for 1993 and someone got 120 in that.

should just look at that book and stop making assumptions.

it changes every year anyway.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
No, I cannot see anything wrong with your calculations, Rench. Sorry if I implied that. I just find it hard to believe that the cut-off is anything less than about 70/120.
No, it's ok. Like you, I was extremely surprised when I calculated the raw Band E4 cut-off to be 40/120. Hence I was doubting my own calculations. I was just wondering if I'd missed anything obvious. I PMed Laz and apparently on second calculation he ended up with the same result as I did - 40/120.

Anyway, what Haboozin said is right. It changes and there's little use worrying about it, but it still bothers me that the band cut-off could be that low.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
underthebridge said:
44% got a band E4 in mx2 last year so that would equate to 1320 ppl getting 40/120 or above (assuming 3000 ppl did it) which is still a bit dicey in my opinion - surely the cut off is way higher.

I have doubts about this linear interpolation too, i remember trying it out for mx1 and it didnt seem to work out.
underthebridge said:
In fact, doesn't board people work out cutoffs for each band using standards packages and other things? Perhaps Linear interpolation is used for marks in between bands, and not for the band cutoffs?
Yea, it sounds odd. As for linear interpolation...there's no other real way to calculate aligned marks given that the BOS Committee only establishes raw band cut-offs and nothing in between. Cut-offs are determined for each Band and then marks are linearly interpolated between each band cut-off.

It seemed to work for MX1. I estimated that the raw Band E4 cut-off for MX1 was around 58-62/84 last year. I got no more than 75/84 raw and that worked out to ~96 which I ended up with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)