• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Wanting to quit job but afraid I'll be denied a reference? (1 Viewer)

oct25

HSC
Here's the story.

During my job interview, the manager said that he expected me to stay for at least a year (I'm a casual staff). I verbally agreed to this because I just wanted a job at that time.

However, since then I've also gotten other jobs, and uni is starting in 2 weeks time. My dilemma is that I want to quit, but I've only worked there around 4 months.

I know that I can give a letter of resignation and be out of there in 2 weeks, but I'm also looking for a formal reference since its my first job and will really give my resume a boost. Being a maccas, I know some of the managers just don't care. Are they obliged to give me a reference if I've only worked there for this amount of time? Can I be refused one if I ask?

Thanks!!

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
If you already have another job, why do you need a reference?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
And maccas is an important part of that?

Really, all you can do is ask. They might deny you a reference because you haven't been working there long at all. No harm in asking, though.

HSC
And maccas is an important part of that?

Really, all you can do is ask. They might deny you a reference because you haven't been working there long at all. No harm in asking, though.
ahahaha, agreed. who wants a reference from maccas anyway?

it's worth close to nil. i don't include in my resume that i worked at kfc because it's embarrassing.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
just ask for one?

the worst part might be you get a reference from maccas

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i don't think employers are obliged to provide a reference. no point having a reference from a job u only held down for 4 months anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)