• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

URGENT question about combined degree (1 Viewer)

Dj Fuzion

HSC
i have a question do you have to select half business subjects and half IT subjects ine ach semester? who has?

Basically i can get all my core subjects off of business because of my diploma but i want to know if i can do 2 major business subjcts and 2 it subjects or do i have to do all it core subjects before i move on to the majors.

this is urgent because i got an offer to do bus/comp but i want to get into law (dfee) semester 2 next year and try to do as much bus subjects as i can.

thank you all

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Please look at the Handbook next time (http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/).

Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (Dual Degree)
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10219.html
= Allows you to do 1 Business Major and 1 IT Major

Bachelor of Business (Single Business Degree)
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/bus/ug/c10026.html
= Allows you to do 1 Business Major + Another 1 Business Major/2 submajors/submajor + elective.

Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (Single IT Degree)
http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10148.html
= Allows you to do 1 IT Major + Another 1 IT Major/2 submajors/submajor + elective.

You do not have to select half business subjects and half IT subjects- the structure on the handbook is recommended but not enforced. You can move around your subjects any way you want (given prerequisite requirements). So, you can do 4 business subjects in one semester and there is nothing UTS can do.

Hopefully that answers all of your questions =)

Dj Fuzion

HSC
thank you huratio!!!

i have another question say i get exempt from ALL my core subjects for business only can i start my business major subjects or do i have to do all my IT ones first and then start the business major.

i.e - do i have to complete cores for both degrees first before moving onto the majors?

essentially i want to...

get exempt from all business core units (which i will) and start int. business major aswell as some it core units next semester (august) is this possible?

i hope that made sense.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
I don't see why not.

The IT core subjects are NOT a prerequisite to start your Business Major subjects..

Dj Fuzion

HSC
thank you huratio...this was really helpful.

my main concern was that i wanted to start my major instead of just doing it subjects...thanks again.

Somebody2005

HSC
N/A
I was reading through some stuff, and I'm assuming your doing a B Bus/B Comp, this is what I read:

"C10129 BBus BComp​

Note: the policy of this course requires that students keep a balance between Business and IT
subjects in any semester; in particular, although CASS may allow a student to enrol in more than
12 cp of Business subjects in one semester, the Faculty of Business will delete these subjects

from the student's enrolment."

If your doing B Bus/B Sci Comp which is the new version of the above course I'm not sure if it applies.

So maybe not?:confused:

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Can you give me a link of where you found that? That quote wasn't in the handbooks for the old B Bus/B Comp course (pre-2007) and B Bus/B ScIT (post-2007).

I'm currently in B Bus/B Comp, and I've done 18cp of Business (more than 12cp) in my last two semesters. I may have a reason though, because I internally transferred from BScIT before and I needed to catch up on Business subjects. I did not have to ask UTSAdmin to do this though - I simply enrolled into the subjects and completed them all.
In Spring, 2006: I did Accounting for Business, Economics for Business and Managing People and Organisations. In Autumn, 2007: I did Business Law and Ethics, Business Statistics and Marketing Foundations.

I'm actually not 100% sure if doing 24cp of Business in one semester is allowed, but it definately works in MyStudentAdmin (well, enrolling into them).

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
That policy has always been there since the start of the course in 2004. They do review the subjects people are doing, but I don't know if they ever take action. Like Huratio, I also have done 18cp of Business subjects in 1 semester (twice), but that was because I transferred as well.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Dj Fuzion said:
i have a question do you have to select half business subjects and half IT subjects ine ach semester? who has?

Basically i can get all my core subjects off of business because of my diploma but i want to know if i can do 2 major business subjcts and 2 it subjects or do i have to do all it core subjects before i move on to the majors.

this is urgent because i got an offer to do bus/comp but i want to get into law (dfee) semester 2 next year and try to do as much bus subjects as i can.

thank you all
I am doing bus/ comp, and did 4 business subjects in one semester once.

But now i am parttime because of work. still doing two business subjects

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Maybe they look at each case individually and see the reason for you loading more than 12cp of Business in a semester. But I doubt it though; takes too much effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)