• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UNSW's reputation vs UTS's 1 year intership (1 Viewer)

Zante

HSC
Hey guys,
offers are coming up and i cant decide to choose uts or unsw for electrical engineering, but so far ive left unsw's electrical as 1st.

Ive read alot of unconfirmed information about both unsw and uts. (although i am aware asking to confirm this in a unsw section may lead to bias......)

Such as;
- UNSW is dubbed as sydney's #1 for engineering
- UTS's valuable intership which in some peoples opinion put UTS above UNSW.
- UNSW having a much hard coarse filled with theory than UTS
- "older boys network", apparently more people join major companies are UTS graduates, which is significant due to australia's electrical sector being very small.

But basically, what does unsw provide for career prospects that deems it better than uts? (although of coarse it mainly depends on the student, but what made you choose unsw?)

Or does it really even matter which uni? cuz they are equal?

cjtk

HSC
N/A
Same here, considering electrical engineering next year but not very sure about which uni

For ranking yes UNSW and the univeristy of melbourne are the two best uni for engineering in australia.

However on the other hand statisitcs show that UTS students have a higher average starting salary than UNSW students

But i think it shouldn't make a difference if you manage to achieve reasonably good result in uni.

Also UTS have won the award for best teaching for many years, while UNSW has the largest engineering faculty in australia

Last edited:

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
Zante said:
Hey guys,
offers are coming up and i cant decide to choose uts or unsw for electrical engineering, but so far ive left unsw's electrical as 1st.

Ive read alot of unconfirmed information about both unsw and uts. (although i am aware asking to confirm this in a unsw section may lead to bias......)
hi there

i do electrical engineering at UNSW, but I will try to be as unbiased as possible...

Zante said:
- UNSW is dubbed as sydney's #1 for engineering
those ranks are usually based on postgraduate research, which doesn't really tell you anything about the quality of undergraduate education

Zante said:
- UTS's valuable intership which in some peoples opinion put UTS above UNSW.
personally i don't think it is valuable at all -- it is basically prolonging your degree by 12 months, and financially it doesn't make sense because you'll be paid more as a graduate than a student halfway through uni

there's a shortage of electrical engineers in Australia, so finding a job after uni shouldn't be too difficult; so having no work experience won't hinder your chances

the advantage of the internship is it gives you the chance to work out more specifically what you want to do at the end of your degree, and the company you work for may offer you a job when you've graduated. but as i said, finding a job anywhere shouldn't be too hard.

Zante said:
- UNSW having a much hard coarse filled with theory than UTS
I don't think you can really judge course difficulty between universities - so much is dependent on the lecturer for each subject and the individual students

rumour has it that UTS has a more "hands on" trial-and-error form of learning, while at UNSW you learn a lot of theory first. i don't know how true that is -- at unsw i've spent heaps of time mucking around and fudging numbers in the elec eng labs, especially in 2nd year

Zante said:
- "older boys network", apparently more people join major companies are UTS graduates, which is significant due to australia's electrical sector being very small.
the consensus is that for electrical engineering, University of Wollongong and UNSW have the best courses.

but there's nothing specifically wrong with UTS or USyd

Zante said:
But basically, what does unsw provide for career prospects that deems it better than uts? (although of coarse it mainly depends on the student, but what made you choose unsw?)
i liked the campus, elec eng is quite big so there are plenty of elective choices for 3rd and 4th years. UNSW has quite a large electrical engineering faculty - our "cohort" of 2nd year engineers has about 100 students. this is probably larger than UTS and USyd

you should be taking into consideration which campus you like the best, what your transport options are, etc. these will have a massive impact on how you enjoy uni life - much more than the minor differences between courses. this is what Musk was saying

Zante said:
Or does it really even matter which uni? cuz they are equal?
at the end of the day, university is what you make it -- if you decide not to do any work then it won't matter where you go, your marks will be crap

like Musk said, take into consideration your entire uni life, not just the academic side. at uni you probably only spend about half your time doing work. this will (hopefully) make your decision a bit easier.

i hope i've helped and haven't rambled too much :)

feel free to ask more questions here or PM me

trickae

HSC
N/A
UTS and maquarie give you better industry links as professors themselves are listed to have contact with them.

Don't believe me? Check out the UTS and maquaries websites.

Frankly i worked hard trying to find a decent internship with a big engineering multinational - just so i could go places.

UNSW didn't do jack shit for me, nor provided easy access to much help.

I ended up going to internship evenings hosted by other uni's in sydney besides UNSW and chased down industry promoters.

and in before, blah blah careers center this, industry nights that, IET industry evenings.

Please - I went to all of them for the past three years, frankly i've been left with a bad taste in mouth - sorta like getting a bad meal at an expensive restaurant.

Last edited:

crazieguitarist

HSC
You should be comparing a UNSW graduate with one year's experience to a UTS graduate as they have had a whole year to work. I once spoke to a UTS grad who was doing nothing but photocopying and binding on one of his 6 month internships.

UNSW will train you better, it is given. If I was an employer, I would employ a New South Grad over a UTS Grad. Although I do study myself at UNSW so may be biased. In the same way, I think every employer will be slightly biased in their selection pending on which uni they went to. So either way it really depends on what employers and senior engineers think about said universities.

Industry links can be made yourself in your summer breaks with companies. I myself have to do 10 weeks each summer break with the RTA as part of my scholarship. Wouldn't you rather a student that went out of his/her way to get experience to one who was forced to do so? And all this can be done in 4 years, not 5!

It was an easy choice for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)