• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

University with mature age students! (1 Viewer)

Keetje

HSC
Hello everyone,

I am planning to coming over to Australia to study for Bachelor of Social Science or Bachelor of Criminology. I would be a (very?) mature age student in my mid thirties and prefer an Uni that has more mature age students attending the classes.

Any recommendations for this oldie:)?

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
usually afternoons or night classes filled with oldies

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
UWS? I heard my friends saying that there were heaps of mature age students in his classes

Jennt

HSC
N/A
I think you will find mature students in most courses at most uni's. And as a mature student I have found most 'young uns' happy enough to talk to me :)

HSC
Hello everyone,

I am planning to coming over to Australia to study for Bachelor of Social Science or Bachelor of Criminology. I would be a (very?) mature age student in my mid thirties and prefer an Uni that has more mature age students attending the classes.

Any recommendations for this oldie:)?
Firstly, thirty is not "very" mature age. I have two units with students in their seventies, and they fit in just fine (but obviously with different priorities).

I'm not sure where abouts you're planning to move to in Australia, but do suggest that you look at unis which have flexible entry options. These unis, although often not the most prestigious, will be more popular with mature age students.

If you're looking at WA, I'd suggest one of Notre Dame, ECU or Murdoch unis.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Firstly, thirty is not "very" mature age. I have two units with students in their seventies, and they fit in just fine (but obviously with different priorities).

I'm not sure where abouts you're planning to move to in Australia, but do suggest that you look at unis which have flexible entry options. These unis, although often not the most prestigious, will be more popular with mature age students.

If you're looking at WA, I'd suggest one of Notre Dame, ECU or Murdoch unis.
+1 to everything babikakez has said.

For the record i wouldn't go to UWS, just dont waste your time.

Tbh, i would suggest somewhere like macquarie that is pretty flexable with late night courses. However, if you're a fulltime student - anywhere is good.

Being a mature aged student, i wouldn't be too worried about getting in classes with other "oldies" (lol). Provided you're reasonably outgoing, i don't think you would have issues at all.

Im starting to think about this mature student (45yo +) in my computer course, she has no idea how to operate a computer but is doing 3rd year!!!! random tangent! anyway best of luck :)

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
As mentioned, if Western Australia is an option, Murdoch University has a large proportion of mature-age, and accomodating them was one of the key goals in the Uni's inception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)